What is GI and how do y0ou use it for bodybuilding?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im getting my nutrition better and Im looking to get into GI .

IainDaniel

Awards
I don't I ignore it :D

Too many factors impact GI.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would not go so far as to say that it is outdated. More like it was given more attention than it should have had in the first place. I think that it still has its place for comparing similar types of carbs (say white rice vs brown rice) but it falls short when comparing dissimilar foods (milk vs white bread).

As with many new diet concepts, GI turned into a fad and people started basing their entire dietary approach on it. The reality is that considering a reasonably sized meal of whole foods with an approximately equal macro breakdown, the GI difference of two carbs probably is not going to amount to much. If you are eating processed crap (say fructose vs dextrose) then it might be significant but should you be eating that in the first place?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
That's kinda my point. Not like it's inaccurate, it's just the wrong tool to be using.

The whole concept is that low GI is better than high GI right?

It tells us that whole grain bread is better than plain white bread (an 8yr old can probably tell you that).

It also tells us that table sugar is better than watermelon (pure bs).

There are easier, simpler ways to know what to eat. And you don't have to worry about people misusing them and spreading bad advice like wildfire.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
eat foods that come from the earth, not from a processing artificial flavor plant

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good calls from the both of you.

I am always somewhat surprised that people will throw common sense out the window in favor of some set of facts or figures from a 'study' (regardless of how appropriate).

The sugar vs watermelon is a good example. Avoiding fruit because it contains fructose is an other one.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good calls from the both of you.

I am always somewhat surprised that people will throw common sense out the window in favor of some set of facts or figures from a 'study' (regardless of how appropriate).

The sugar vs watermelon is a good example. Avoiding fruit because it contains fructose is an other one.
I had this dicussion with a fellow off of Bodybuilding Dungeon. He said to take Dextose Post-training. and dont get my wrong if you want that go for it.

I take it Fruits postraining, Banana or two, apple, blueberries, (I mix it up sometimes peaches, strawberries, etc) and yes Frutose may be lower absorption than Dextose, MaltoDextin and Wazy Waize. I like to take it fuits at this time because of all the natural chemicals. I also like the added benifit of seeing the healthy fruit colors of yellow, red, orange, peach etc and knowing that they contain different vitamins per fruit

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
That's kinda my point. Not like it's inaccurate, it's just the wrong tool to be using.

The whole concept is that low GI is better than high GI right?

It tells us that whole grain bread is better than plain white bread (an 8yr old can probably tell you that).

It also tells us that table sugar is better than watermelon (pure bs).

There are easier, simpler ways to know what to eat. And you don't have to worry about people misusing them and spreading bad advice like wildfire.
It doesn't tell which is better then the other, but how it will impact your blood glucose which is very important for diabetics.

And it isn't just about GI, but also GL Glycemic Load.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
I had this dicussion with a fellow off of Bodybuilding Dungeon. He said to take Dextose Post-training. and dont get my wrong if you want that go for it.

I take it Fruits postraining, Banana or two, apple, blueberries, (I mix it up sometimes peaches, strawberries, etc) and yes Frutose may be lower absorption than Dextose, MaltoDextin and Wazy Waize. I like to take it fuits at this time because of all the natural chemicals. I also like the added benifit of seeing the healthy fruit colors of yellow, red, orange, peach etc and knowing that they contain different vitamins per fruit
Not all fruits (carbs) are equal. This is why the GI is informative.
Fruit GI Value
Cherries 22
Grapefruit 25
Prunes 29
Apricots, dried 30
Apple 38
Peach, canned in juice 38
Pear, fresh 38
Plum 39
Strawberries 40
Orange, Navel 42
Peach, fresh 42
Pear, canned 43
Grapes 46
Papaya 56
Banana 52
Kiwi 58
Fruit Cocktail 55
Mango 51
Apricots, fresh 57
Figs, dried 61
Apricots, canned 64
Raisins 56
Cantaloupe 65
Pineapple, fresh 66
Watermelon 72
Dates 103

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I usually crave some type of sugary carb post workout, which is why i've added raisins. But PWO carbs are PWO carbs regardless of what GI value they have. Typically though what you eat will reflect your current goals. Those more eager to build muscle might want to add some sugary carbs for an immediate bloodsugar spike while simple oats and protein might suffice otherwise. As long as you eat whole foods and well balanced meals the minute 2 point difference between the GI of whole wheat bread and that of white bread is completely negligible.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have found that eating as natural and sensible as possible, keeping an eye on GI but not relying on it to favor artificial foods over natural ones (sugar vs fruit) and eating what i feel and know my body needs is the best thing. Keeping an eye on preservatives and sodium etc will do you better than caring whether a sweet potato or a white potato is better becuase one may be more sugary (e.x: mixing macros can lower GI like said earlier- a white potato and skin has alot of fiber which slows the digestion and thereby lowers GI)

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
GI has its uses for diabetics, I'll give you that. But for the healthy person that exercises 3-5 times per week, I don't see the point. Low GI just isn't a necessary goal. If you concentrate on basing your diet around a variety of whole foods and you're getting enough protein and the right amount of calories, you won't have any problems.

Picking one fruit over another on the basis of their GI is simply not seeing the forest for the trees. If you think prunes will keep you lean and pineapple will make you fat, you need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
GI has its uses for diabetics, I'll give you that. But for the healthy person that exercises 3-5 times per week, I don't see the point. Low GI just isn't a necessary goal. If you concentrate on basing your diet around a variety of whole foods and you're getting enough protein and the right amount of calories, you won't have any problems.

Picking one fruit over another on the basis of their GI is simply not seeing the forest for the trees. If you think prunes will keep you lean and pineapple will make you fat, you need to take a step back and look at the big picture.
lol agreed

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards

For most people who are carb intolerant, it makes worlds of difference.