Nut fat?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I see that nuts are very high in fats...Just to be re assured, these are good fats right?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Some are better than others, but yes, for the most part they are good fats. Eat up.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sunflower seeds, and peanuts in particular. Sorry I wasn't more specific.
Yeah, they both are pretty high in unsaturated fats, which is good. I'm not too familiar with sunflower seeds, but I'm pretty sure both are fine.

bombBoogie

bombBoogie

Awards
  • Established
I am not sure fully, but I think sunflower is better over than peanuts. But like Rpen22 mentioned, both are fine.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Nice cause I found some on the hells cheap side and am going to add them in my diet as a snack. 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds is like 190 cals, 4g carbs, and 18g of fat I believe. Good to have these around for $1 for 9 servings. They are already shelled too so you can just eat them by the handful after measurement.

AtomSmasher

AtomSmasher

Awards
  • Established
Sunflower seeds are soooo much better for you than peanuts, if you like peanut butter try getting almond butter, its definetly a lot better for you.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Look at merely the thread title - I expected this thread to go in a completely different direction...

Now that I see this is in the nutrition forum - I feel a bit better.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Look at merely the thread title - I expected this thread to go in a completely different direction...

Now that I see this is in the nutrition forum - I feel a bit better.
HAHA, I did that on purpose! I was kind of waiting for someone to say something about it!

tattoopierced1

my nuts are pretty fat...

wait, this is not what its about is it...

;)

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Sunflower seeds are good, peanut are okay (the fat is not too bad but there's lots of other good things about peanuts), Almonds are the bomb as the fat in them helps control insulin spikes. Cashews are delicous but useless.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
I've never considered almond butter. How's the taste and where can you get it or do I have to make it? I found some recipes online but I'm wondering if I can simply buy it at the grocery store. None of the grocery store sites I searched turned up anything. If I have to make it do you have any recipe suggestions?

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
I've never considered almond butter. How's the taste and where can you get it or do I have to make it? I found some recipes online but I'm wondering if I can simply buy it at the grocery store. None of the grocery store sites I searched turned up anything. If I have to make it do you have any recipe suggestions?
You can buy it at the store. Grocery stores often have it in their naturals section, but if they don't, you may have to go to a natural foods store, who will be almost guaranteed to have it. It's usually more expensive than natural peanut butter, but not by alot.

As for the taste, those that like it, love it. Most people I know do like it, but it's really not my cup of tea.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Peanuts are actually a bean (or a comic strip by Charles Schulz). Carry on.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Hey sinner, you posted a recipe for making your own natural peanut butter. You think the same thing would work for making your own almond butter? I don't see why not.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've done it with almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and cashews as well. Works great.

With almonds, you will want to get slivered or sliced almonds. Whole almonds are just too damn big and they won't break down in the blender.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
I've done it with almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and cashews as well. Works great.

With almonds, you will want to get slivered or sliced almonds. Whole almonds are just too damn big and they won't break down in the blender.
Thanks for the tip. I think I'm gonna try this tomorrow when I don't have so much damn school work.

thedon3534

Awards
yeah I was gunna say.... cashews have a good amount of monounsaturated fat in them..... they are not useless at all...

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
I have used a food processor to make almond butter as well as pecan butter. You just have to have patience as it takes time for the oils in the nuts to "release" (wow this could be going somewhere...lol) and make it into a butter so to speak. I usually add about 1 tbsp of canola oil to 1 pound of pecans or almonds.

...and I have mentioned adding one tbsp of oil before and people get all irate and act like its a big deal. Adding a tbsp of oil to the whole batch adds 14g fat.... less than 0.5g of fat per tbsp!

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
I made some almond butter tonight using a slightly altered version of the sinner's recipe and damn was it good. Easy to make too.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Peanut Butter is the "Staff of Life" IMO. Natty pb is a staple, but I like almond butter even better. Trader Joe's has some rasonably priced varieties of all those, plus goodies like tamari (sesame seed butter), cashew butter, and others. These are all good fats. Not Omega 3's, but with good amounts of omega 6 and 9's.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey Sinner,

Can all of these things be found at "Kroger" or "Meijer"? Also, you mention "Raw Peanuts" in the recipe...Does that mean that I leave the shells on when making the pb? I know it might be a dumb question lol, but I just wanted to be sure! Also, is the calorie count and such around the same as normal pb? Also, Is it ok to add extra protein powder to this?

Sorry for all the Qs. Thanks for the help!

buildmeup

Awards
Eating nuts is definately a good idea for a snack.. but eating anything in excess is bad for you...

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Eating nuts is definately a good idea for a snack.. but eating anything in excess is bad for you...
Yes it is. I don't eat a whole tub everyday. I am lucky to consume 3 tablespoons a day. Which is only a serving and a half when looking at normal pb. Lately I have switched to reduced fat extra crunchy skippy. It is really good!

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
"Cashews are delicous but useless." :confused:
:rant:
"Cashews

CALORIES: 584 cal/100g (146 cal per handful)

BENEFITS: Rich in iron, containing twice the amount of most other nuts. Just 50g (25 cashews) provides 3mg of the 11mg needed each day by women.

Cashews are also rich in zinc, essential for a robust immune system and healthy skin, and vital for fertility in both men and women (25 nuts provide a third of our daily 9mg zinc needs).

They also contain magnesium and copper which help prevent heart disease and promote strong bones. The high magnesium content could also help reduce the risk of colon cancer.

DISADVANTAGES: Too many can be fattening, particularly if eaten as part of a Chinese or Indian takeaway where the cooking oil and sugar content will outweigh any healthy benefit. "
Here is the thread that has a great breakdown on all the nuts
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/65821-almonds-boost-your.html
Good read !