Gemma Protein Isolate/Pea Protein

spoofy

Awards
Trueprotein recently started selling this protein and they are pushing it kind of hard. The price point is really good but I can't seem to find any information about it outside of the trueprotein website. Anybody have information regarding how effective Pea protein is in relation to whey?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
great price and looks like a good profile. With the price of whey going up people are gonna be looking for cheaper alternatives. Low allergen too.

cameronjames

Awards
Re:

Hi,

Proteins are known to interact with relatively small molecules such as flavour compounds and saponins, and may thus influence the taste perception of food. In this study, the interactions of flavour volatiles with pea proteins, and the effects of heat on these interactions were investigated. The presence of saponins, which are non-volatile flavour compounds, was also explored. Saponins are known to contribute to the bitterness in pea and were found to interact with proteins. While Whey Protein Concentrate is the most economical choice when buying a protein powder. It is known for its extremely fast digestion; meaning it's great for post workout shakes and for anytime you need a quick burst of amino acids.

cameronjames

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Do you know how much shipping would be at trueprotein for a 5lb jug? From the last time I tried to order shipping was a ridiculous 10 bucks so I never bothered with them.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Do you know how much shipping would be at trueprotein for a 5lb jug? From the last time I tried to order shipping was a ridiculous 10 bucks so I never bothered with them.
I just ordered 5# of WMS, 1# of Gemma, 1 tub of Buzz Saw, and 1 tub of Beta Focus and shipping was $10.01 to CO.

I'm looking forward to trying Gemma out.

X

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What does this stuff run? I know what I can pick it up for for NP, unflavored.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Gemma Protein Isolate Powder 4.89/lb
+ Premium Citrus Lime-Ade $0.75/
+ Stevia /
+ Aminogen (Protease Enzyme) $0.70/
+ FREE Food Grade Bag /

Total as configured above is $6.34/lb

I think I could live with the unflavored stuff as this only going to be used in my peri-workout drink.

X

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I just ordered 5# of WMS, 1# of Gemma, 1 tub of Buzz Saw, and 1 tub of Beta Focus and shipping was $10.01 to CO.

I'm looking forward to trying Gemma out.

X
not bad for all that. I wonder if they have a flat rate. Do post comments on the protein!

gotta add the aminogen for sure! could care less about the taste though.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
definetely man! you should look into the aminogen addition. Makes a big difference i believe.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
how does its rate of digestion compare to whey, egg, soy, casein

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
how does its rate of digestion compare to whey, egg, soy, casein
Supposed to be faster digestion than whey (ie rapid) and with ~96-97% bio-availability (nearly egg).

Looking forward to it.

X

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
Any chance of you selling it coupled with a flavoring system?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Ok I thought I would post up my thoughts on Gemma.

I've had it 3 different ways now, even though I only purchased this for my peri workout protein source (#3).

#1. 3 scoops Gemma w/ 16oz FF Milk

#2. 3 scoops Gemma w/ 16oz Water

#3. 1 scoop Gemma w/ Gatorade, WMS, BCAA's

All in all, its not bad. Mine is flavored (limeade), but I think it would be palatable unflavored as well. The underlying flavor of this protein is NOT hidden with the addition of the flavoring. Its sort of a subtle nutty flavor, or like if you sucked on dehydrated peas from a soup mix. That is really the only way I can describe it. This stuff does separate in your shake, I am drinking one now with water and I see 3 distinct layers after letting it sit for a minute. Thick foam (from shaking), an almost clear (mines yellow from the flavoring) layer ~ 1/4" - 1/2" deep, then a thicker chalky layer that goes to the bottom of the shaker. A quick swirl and it mixes up again.

I did get a little bloat off of it the first two times I had it, but I haven't had it since. It really wasn't "bloat" or gas, more like I just 'felt fuller' than I normally am from a shake. No other gastro events, which is good, not that I'm sensitive to them (actually more of an iron gut) so if I get something from it, it will definitely cause someone else an issue.

All in all, I will be purchasing more, esp. as whey prices continue to go up.

X

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any chance of you selling it coupled with a flavoring system?
Yeah, this is a possibility. The protein itself is relatively cheap.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, this is a possibility. The protein itself is relatively cheap.
I'd pick some up. I need to place another order before the end of the sale...

drksun

drksun

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im gonna pick some up soon, idk what flavor i should try

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Gemma Protein Isolate Powder 4.89/lb
+ Premium Citrus Lime-Ade $0.75/
+ Stevia /
+ Aminogen (Protease Enzyme) $0.70/
+ FREE Food Grade Bag /
Do you know if you pick a premium flavour it always has artificial sweetener, ie. sucralose and/or acesulfame-K

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Do you know if you pick a premium flavour it always has artificial sweetener, ie. sucralose and/or acesulfame-K
Good question.

No sweeteners that I am aware of, that's why I added Stevia, but I have no idea what their flavoring system consists of.

Maybe ask that question over on the TP forum (here and there).

If you get an answer, post back here or link to it!

X

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Good question.

No sweeteners that I am aware of, that's why I added Stevia, but I have no idea what their flavoring system consists of.

Maybe ask that question over on the TP forum (here and there).

If you get an answer, post back here or link to it!

X
No, actually I know that it's the case. I meant to ask, did you know that. Because no matter what you select for sweetener for the premium flavours, it always has artificial sweeteners. Just FYI. They're supposed to have premium natural flavours "any day now" which was months ago. It seems to have been put on the back burner for whatever reason. Probably not enough demand to put it as a priority with their other projects going on.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, actually I know that it's the case. I meant to ask, did you know that. Because no matter what you select for sweetener for the premium flavours, it always has artificial sweeteners. Just FYI. They're supposed to have premium natural flavours "any day now" which was months ago. It seems to have been put on the back burner for whatever reason. Probably not enough demand to put it as a priority with their other projects going on.
I have yet to try a natural sweetener that is not...gross.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Dang. Thanks! I try to limit my intake of those things.

Perhaps if NP picks up the unflavored Gemma I will give that a go.

X

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Stevia isn't bad. I add it to my WMS and proteins.

X

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Stevia tastes ok to me. It's not as sweet as sugar or sucralose, and I'm not sure if TP has started putting less of it in or if it's just because I'm trying different flavours, but the ones I've been getting lately aren't as sweet as they used to be. I really don't care too much if the protein shake tastes sweet. The only good thing about that would be covering over the taste of citrulline malate

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I finally went ahead and ordered 5lbs of this stuff. TP is running 10% off so get some while this lasts. I did protein plain with aminogen and stevia. I'm going to be mixing it with waxy maize. I'll post a review as soon as I try it. I have a little left of ON natural whey left. It will be nice to finally get rid of whey and milk products. I have easily overdosed on calcium intake for years now. I have allergies too so i'm wondering what cutting out a lot of milk will do for me. I have to take a lot of extra magnesium just to balance out my calcium intake.

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
It’s a suitable replacement for casein; however, it's around 50% lower in leucine than whey I think.

- quoting layne norton's FAQ

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Hmm..Forgot to post a review on this stuff. It mixed horrible and since then I've had allergy tests and I'm not allergic to milk so I went back to whey. My pre and post workout shakes now are gatorade, creatine, bcaa's, though. Just trying something new. I have 1-2 scoops of whey at other times of the day.

I got the protein with stevia and aminogen. The taste was bad but I didn't expect much there.. I can almost eat crap..."almost" ;) but the biggest problem was mixing it. It just stuck to everything and clumped easy. Not worth it in my experience. The combo of gatorade, creatine, and bcaa's has been pretty good thus far. The problem with most protein powders is there's too much protein and not enough carbs. Waxy maize is by far the best carb out there imo. If you can mix 60grams of that with half scoop of whey protein before and after exercise you will be good. This saves you money on using whole scoops and your getting about a 4:1 carbs to protein ratio which is optimal for recovery and growth. That's one scoop a day ;)

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
It's extremely thick if you use the same amount of liquid as you would with whey.