Sweet potatoes

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Sweet potatoes have a low GI rating, correct? How many carbs does one sweet potato provide? Are they healthier than a normal potato?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes a little lower GI and a little more fiber then a regular tater. A very good substitute IMO, has about 27-30gr of carbs per 4oz.

HITscientist

HITscientist

Awards
A sweet potato is more yellow-golden in the inside.

A yam is the orange inside.

S.P.- 6.7c per ounce
Yam- 8.4c per ounce

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Yams are actually lower-GI than sweet potatoes, although I usually think of yams as sweeter. Either way, you're doing yourself a huge favor by eating these; some of the best overall complex carbs you can find!

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to start incorporating these into my diet.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have any good recipes for it? I went to Outback Steakhouse a few nights ago, and they use brown sugar, cinnamon, and some butter with it. It was really good. I would probably use something else instead of butter while I'm cutting.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have any good recipes for it? I went to Outback Steakhouse a few nights ago, and they use brown sugar, cinnamon, and some butter with it. It was really good. I would probably use something else instead of butter while I'm cutting.
Just add the cinnamon. I sometimes add a little honey or some maple syrup, but never sugar or butter.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I like to bake them plain, but cooking with some olive oil and cinnamon, maybe some splenda, honey, or sugar free maple syrup would be good.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Splenda, cinnamon, and parkay spray should mimic that quit nicely without the added fat and cals from the butter.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Twice baked sweet potatos - with cinnoman . Can't go wrong with that!

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't mind sweet potatoes, but I absolutely love chopping baked potatoes and throwing them on the skillet with some garlic and herb seasoning.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the local grocery store (publix) sells em pre-shrink wrapped so you can just pop em in the microwave and they self steam. I'm thinking i need to get some of the pumpkin pie spices to shake on them

buildmeup

Awards
hmm... i never thought of putting those in my diet before.. i going to have to try it now..

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I usually just eat them raw, they're all sweet and crunchy and portable. Plus it's fun to watch all the strange looks while you're wandering around eating a sweet potato like a banana.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I usually just eat them raw, they're all sweet and crunchy and portable. Plus it's fun to watch all the strange looks while you're wandering around eating a sweet potato like a banana.
HAHAh i used to walk around eating a white potatoe like this. I would just whip it out in class and take a bite out of it. People were like WTF?

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
the local grocery store (publix) sells em pre-shrink wrapped so you can just pop em in the microwave and they self steam. I'm thinking i need to get some of the pumpkin pie spices to shake on them
I get the same thing in my local store. It's called "Express bake sweet potatOH". Good stuff.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the pumpkin pie spice with no sugar works very well on sweet potatoes btw :)

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
HAHAh i used to walk around eating a white potatoe like this. I would just whip it out in class and take a bite out of it. People were like WTF?
i do the exact same people are like wtf! all i say is "this is what healthy food looks like" and the same people are asking me how i got big and i tell them "its part of my getting big diet":rofl:

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
the pumpkin pie spice with no sugar works very well on sweet potatoes btw :)
I incorporated that tonight I microwaved a big sp for like 11 mins, peeled and mashed it in a bowl and melted a good little bit of "smart balance" spread w/ plant sterols for lipid support.

Then I added cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and the splenda brown sugar they have out now. I mashed them all up together and it tasted excellent. Pretty much like one of those Outback sp's that was mentioned earlier. I didn't measure out the various seasonings, so you'd just have to eyeball it and season to taste. Good stuff.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I ate homemade healthy pizza and a homemade cheeseburger right now.

Heineken is the greatest beer ever (with the exception of Dos Equis and many others).

nightfly71

nightfly71

Awards
  • Established
I ate homemade healthy pizza and a homemade cheeseburger right now.

Heineken is the greatest beer ever (with the exception of Dos Equis and many others).
Incorporating sweet potatoes or was that a random thought?

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Didn't add any sweet potatoes. Just wanted to mention that I had pizza, and it was delicious.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mmmmm, sweet taters. Cut'em into strips, bake for 15-20min, and you have a great french fry substitute. Throw the suckers into a baggy and you got a great on the go treat.:thumbsup: