Which is better

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. I was out of jelly the other day and decided to use honey instead. As I was eating it I think i'd eat PB & H if it were better for me.

I know jellys have alot of added sugar, correct? I also know that honey has a lower GI, between 45-55? Do you guys think there'd be any added benifit to switch over to PB&H?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly either would serve it's purpose quit well, it's just a choice as to which you prefer.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But do you supoose there are any health benifits of honey vs. jelly?
If you wanted to skip the added sucrose/fructose that's common in most jelly products, then yes I think honey would be quit healthier. It's tuff to call since the processing nature of jelly makes you wonder exactly how much AO's and flavinoid compounds from the fruit are actually maintained in the jar.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I love Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. I was out of jelly the other day and decided to use honey instead. As I was eating it I think i'd eat PB & H if it were better for me.

I know jellys have alot of added sugar, correct? I also know that honey has a lower GI, between 45-55? Do you guys think there'd be any added benifit to switch over to PB&H?
I would call PB&J a cheat meal and honey vs jelly splitting hairs. Eat what you want if you're gonna cheat.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would call PB&J a cheat meal and honey vs jelly splitting hairs. Eat what you want if you're gonna cheat.
:goodpost: Completely agree.

And thank you all for making me think about PB&J's during my diet. :rant:

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
cheat meal.....common man, ezikeal(sp?) bread, natty pb and organic honey.......no nothin stil a cheat meal :sad:
Alas, yes bro. PB&J is a high carb/high fat meal. Not the best macro profile. Yes your ingredients are better than the processed versions but the macros are still borked. If the rest of your diet is on and you're only having one I say go for it - gotta live a little. One thing I would avoid is jelly that is sweetened with glucose/dextrose. Try to find one that uses fructose and/or sucrose (will probably cost more $$$).

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
You could just say screw the jelly and honey, go with some raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries. Smash them into the PB and you're good to go. Fruit is better than any processed jelly or fruit spread.

You could also limit the overall carb content by just using one slice of bread (whole grain, of course) and stacking the PB and berries on top. Half the bread as a whole sandwich. :food:

It could work out OK. I don't think honey has much nutritional value at all.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
or post workout white bread flufffernutters, yum!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alas, yes bro. PB&J is a high carb/high fat meal. Not the best macro profile. Yes your ingredients are better than the processed versions but the macros are still borked. If the rest of your diet is on and you're only having one I say go for it - gotta live a little. One thing I would avoid is jelly that is sweetened with glucose/dextrose. Try to find one that uses fructose and/or sucrose (will probably cost more $$$).
Yea i know, Im just trying to justify it with myself because I know your right, lol.

I usually eat it in my post-workout meal, about an hour after my shake somedays. Diet is usually one point throught the day I just look for it as a release from all the damn chicken and rice I eat :food:

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
i wouldnt worry too much about gi as long as you arent chugging liters of soda, eating tons of junk food, and indulging in candy.

if your calories in < calories out and your macronutrients %ranges are pretty solid, it probably wont be a big difference.

buildmeup

Awards
Honestly either would serve it's purpose quit well, it's just a choice as to which you prefer.
I agree.. maybe you should just switch it up sometimes so your not always eating the same thing