how much fish oil do you need daily??

BIGGUNZ401

BIGGUNZ401

Awards
  • Established
Heres my situation..

Im on a carb cycling diet..
3 days low carbs 120-190 calories and then followed by 370-400 carbs..and then repeat..

how much fish oil do i need??
im taking about about 19 grams a day..is that too much???

Is taking this much bad for you??

Anything else I need to know is always great..thanks ahead to everyone..

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Fish oil is good and bad news. 19g/day is too much IMO because A) there is the possibility of getting mercury in some fish oil, as there is with oily fish (mackerel, swordfish). Also, you get too high a dose of Vitamin A, which is NOT water soluble, and thus can build to dagerous levels (Like Vitamin E, it doesn't wash out of your system like most other vitamins). A better bet would be 2-5g of Fish oil and a tablespoon (or more) of Flax, Borage, or Evening Primrose oil.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm doing around 40g a day now. You get near steroidal levels of anabolism in that range. Look for some of Charles Poliquin's thoughts on it...

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
if i was taking that much i would be very weary of what brand i was taking and to make sure that it was as pure as possible. what brand are you taking?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
vitamin shoppe house brand, in liquid, not caps

BIGGUNZ401

BIGGUNZ401

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing around 40g a day now. You get near steroidal levels of anabolism in that range. Look for some of Charles Poliquin's thoughts on it...
so you take 40g of fish oil???????

BIGGUNZ401

BIGGUNZ401

Awards
  • Established
Fish oil is good and bad news. 19g/day is too much IMO because A) there is the possibility of getting mercury in some fish oil, as there is with oily fish (mackerel, swordfish). Also, you get too high a dose of Vitamin A, which is NOT water soluble, and thus can build to dagerous levels (Like Vitamin E, it doesn't wash out of your system like most other vitamins). A better bet would be 2-5g of Fish oil and a tablespoon (or more) of Flax, Borage, or Evening Primrose oil.
thanks for the advice.. I actually just ordered some Flax, Borage and Evening Primrose oil!

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
fat

If you are takin 40g fish oil, what is your total daily intake of fat?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I shoot for 4gr/day in addition to some added flax cereal.

Easy watch those anti-inflammatory properties man, a tiny cut will bleed forever with that dose range.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
i have found a significant difference in anti-inflamatory properties and joint lubrication at 12-15g/day opposed to the 6g/day i used to take. Been at 12-15 for about 6 months now. much better

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Easy. how long have you been doing 40g? and what results are you seeing?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easy. how long have you been doing 40g? and what results are you seeing?
2 weeks steadily as of now. I'm up 13 lbs in that time on the scale, with slightly better definition - was 199lbs on Sunday the 2nd, today I'm at 212. I'm somewhere in the 15% bf area. The idea came from Charles Poliquin. He said in his article "The Top 5 Supplements to Gain Muscle Mass"
I was once training a first-round pick for the NFL. He put on 29 lbs of lean body mass in one month once I jacked his fish oil intake to 45 grams a day.

If you want to put muscle on and lose fat, take at least 30 grams of fish oil a day.
I figured it was worth trying for a while :) Only negative side is oily skin + hair, and its not too much worse than when I was taking t-force. I'm using Vitamin Shoppe's house brand lemon lime fish body oils, comes out to under $1/day that way.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
fat

So 100g of fat per day...what percentage is that of your calories and how many cals are you taking in? I think I will try this, but I want to know your calories and macros so I can scale it down to my needs.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
2 weeks steadily as of now. I'm up 13 lbs in that time on the scale, with slightly better definition - was 199lbs on Sunday the 2nd, today I'm at 212. I'm somewhere in the 15% bf area. The idea came from Charles Poliquin. He said in his article "The Top 5 Supplements to Gain Muscle Mass"

I figured it was worth trying for a while :) Only negative side is oily skin + hair, and its not too much worse than when I was taking t-force. I'm using Vitamin Shoppe's house brand lemon lime fish body oils, comes out to under $1/day that way.
if you don't mind could you update this or start a new thread with some occasional updates? like a monthly update or something along that line?

I think a lot of people would find this info usefull.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it may be closer to 90. Total calories intake is in the range of 3600 or so, which would leave me around 40% carb/35% protein / 25% fat.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
You're using liquid right? How are you measuring out 40 grams?

I definitely think you should start a thread on this, enough people seem interested :thumbsup:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're using liquid right? How are you measuring out 40 grams?

I definitely think you should start a thread on this, enough people seem interested :thumbsup:
I'm doing 3 tablespoons a day... 3tsp of 5mg each to a tbsp. I figure I loose a couple grams to not filling the spoon to the top, and what sticks to it.

Just FYI as well, the amount of EPA + DHA you get in 30g of fish oil is only a little more than what you would get in a 10oz fillet of wild salmon. So its not a crazy amount at least in terms of those.

I have to give credit to xjsynx, it was his idea for me to torture myself following Poliquin's recommendations. I can't imagine that at least for bulking I'd see much better results from hormones. We'll see when I switch to a cut.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you don't mind could you update this or start a new thread with some occasional updates? like a monthly update or something along that line?

I think a lot of people would find this info usefull.
Maybe I'll start a weekly update, sundays only. Pictures and all. I'm perpetually logging anyway just so that I can look back at progress over time

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
very interested in this please keep us updated.

Ronnie

Ronnie

Awards
  • Established
Hmmmmmmmm. How the heck do you consume all that without gagging?

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry E is used to swallowing large loads of er stuff. You just have to put it right to the back of your throat .....right E?

:toofunny:

Much Love,

Neoborn

P.S I am also interested in this and would love to see a log / thread of high fish oil / EFA intakers.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
yeah, I'm interested in this too.

Do you guys think I can Pulse fish oil too? :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its just a tablespoon worth 3 times a day, and with flavored fish oils the taste is ok too :)

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
2 weeks steadily as of now. I'm up 13 lbs in that time on the scale, with slightly better definition - was 199lbs on Sunday the 2nd, today I'm at 212.
is there anything else you are on or is this weight gain coming purely from the introduction of 40g of fish oil/day?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is there anything else you are on or is this weight gain coming purely from the introduction of 40g of fish oil/day?
Leviathan , Incarnate and "standard" stuff (BCAA, creatine, etc). the leviathan, incarnate, fish oil and doing GVT as workout scheme all started more or less together.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
An intake that high will have your blood as thin as water!

You may want to reconsider using such a high dose.

Department of Human Biology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research and Cardiovascular Research Institutes of Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

OBJECTIVE: The beneficial effect of dietary fish oil, rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), on cardiovascular disease is multifactorial and may partly rely on their anticoagulant action. We studied how fish oil intake influenced thrombin generation in plasma and which factors were involved herein. METHODS AND RESULTS: Twenty-five healthy males with borderline overweight received 3.0 g omega-3 PUFAs daily for 4 weeks. Fish oil intake reduced plasma triglycerides and lowered platelet integrin activation, as well as plasma levels of fibrinogen and factor V, but had no effect on vitamin K-dependent coagulation factors. Before fish oil intake, thrombin generation (reflecting the coagulant potential) considerably varied between plasmas from individual subjects, which were partly explained by variation in prothrombin, antithrombin, fibrinogen, and factor V levels. Fish oil intake reduced thrombin generation in the presence and absence of platelets. This reduction correlated with the fish oil effect on fibrinogen and factor V levels. Interestingly, the lowering effect of fish oil on thrombin generation and fibrinogen clustered around subjects with high fibrinogen carrying a structural fibrinogen alpha-chain polymorphism. CONCLUSIONS: Dietary omega-3 PUFAs provoke a hypocoagulant, vitamin K-independent effect in humans, the degree of which may depend on fibrinogen level. Intake of fish oil reduced fibrinogen and factor V levels as well as thrombin generation in plasma. The effects on thrombin generation and fibrinogen clustered around subjects with high fibrinogen carrying alpha-chain fibrinogen polymorphism. Thus, dietary fish oil can provoke a hypocoagulant effect depending on the fibrinogen level

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well there is only one way to find out. Prick your finger and see how long it takes you to bleed out.

also i have a question about fish oil. There is a product that Now oods puts out called super EPA/DHA. I believe that is what it is called. It has about twice as much EPA/DHA in the same amount of oil. Would this be better or does it have to be fish oil to recieve all the health benefits. in other words is EPA/and DHA the only things in the fish oil that provide the health benefits.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Hey E, how long are you planning on megadosing the fish oils? I'm very interested in learning more about this idea. Also, do you have a link to where I can read more about this? Those are some ridiculous gains, keep up the good work.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey E, how long are you planning on megadosing the fish oils? I'm very interested in learning more about this idea. Also, do you have a link to where I can read more about this? Those are some ridiculous gains, keep up the good work.
you kind of have to search around, but here is one piece on his site

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/members/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=291

I think i'll do it at this ridiculous rate 4-6 weeks, then drop to 12-15g/day. He recommends that somewhere else too. I'll probably only stay at that another 4-6 weeks, then go a month with no added fish oils.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
40g?!!! Thats 40 pills! I take 3 g, anymore and I would have to buy 2 bottles a month

BIGGUNZ401

BIGGUNZ401

Awards
  • Established
can you mega dose the fish oil while cutting????or is it just bulking>>>>>?????????

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
Have you noticed any significant improvement with recovery and strength gains?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
can you mega dose the fish oil while cutting????or is it just bulking>>>>>?????????
Its theoretically good for either. In general anything that encourages anabolic activity is, with the steroids its the androgenic side that makes things more of a bulker than a cutter.

As far as fish oil in fish, this is a pretty good list of DHA / EPA levels

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/HTML/table_g2_adda2.htm

doesn't show total fats. An 8oz salmon fillet has around the DHA as I am taking

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I shoot for 4gr/day in addition to some added flax cereal.

Easy watch those anti-inflammatory properties man, a tiny cut will bleed forever with that dose range.
Damn. I love this guy.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
how much fish oil is in fish?
Oily fish, such as salmon, mackerel, and swordfish, have a good dose per serving (10-20g). Unfortunately, those ARE the chief culprits when it comes to unhealthy amounts of mercury (salmon is actually fine; I haven't heard of any unsafe merc levels in salmon or salmon oil).

They say to eat mackerel and swordfish only a couple times a week max to avoid potential probs with toxicity.

I did learn that standard fish oil used in caps and liqud fish oil supps is made primarily of anchovies and sardines. That suggests that it shouldn't be a problem with the mercury thing.

Personally, I'd still stand by the idea of a combo of flax and fish oil to get the omegas covered. Fish oil is a must supp, though.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This smells like the whole bodybuilder, "more is better" thing. I take 25g a day. I thought that was high enough.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
This smells like the whole bodybuilder, "more is better" thing. I take 25g a day. I thought that was high enough.

I wanna find out more about the Vitamin A issue before I take even that much...

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
i tried taking a few pills a day and started burping up fish oil. it was NASTY. i'm super reluctant to do it again. something about tasting sardines all day makes me gag.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
i tried taking a few pills a day and started burping up fish oil. it was NASTY. i'm super reluctant to do it again. something about tasting sardines all day makes me gag.
I had the same problem, but after about a week the fish oil burps subsided :)

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The burps make me feel manly.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the burps are way cooler with lemon lime flavored oil. sorta like a built in breath freshener

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I've been jackin up my dose on Omega 3s... Getting 30 grams a day just from the supps and I eat a good amount of seafood.