why is this so?

sdb88m361

Awards
Why do people say it is impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?

To me it would seem you could make your body use some of its own fat for calories in evening (through diet), yet still gain muscle mass. Im not talking about loosing massive amounts of fat, but somthing like gaining 1lb of muscle and losing a half a 1lb of fat each month.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
It is possible..just confusing. The more muscle you add, the more fat your body burns. You have to eat over matinence, and perform some intense cadio sessions but lift heavy. Lots of protein, lots of rest, lots of hard work. I have book on it, but its complicated..

you will get more advice soon from people..

im only 15 and still trying to learn..

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
While I won't say it is naturally impossible to gain muscle while losing fat, it is extremely difficult. When you are losing fat (cutting) you are in a deficit of your BRM in addition to an increase in aerobic and anaeroic activity so your body needs to get energy from somewhere and your muscle is the first place that it gets it. You have to train your body to target the fat rather than the muscle so when done improperly (which is the way most people do it to a degree) you will almost always lose muscle while losing fat.

What you have described, losing a half pound of fat while gaining a pound, is still probably difficult for most people in my opinion but is surely possible with an excellent diet.

If someone else can chime and give a better description of what I have said here be my guest.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
To build muscle your body has to be in an anabolic state, to lose fat it has to be in a catabolic state. These require different hormones that are mutually exclusive (ie. insulin vs glucagon).

When you start with little muscle mass you can build it while losing fat (recomp) but once you realize those newbie gains it becomes increasingly difficult.

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
By increasing your protein calories, decreasing carbs, and increasing healthy fats, I do believe it's possible. Let's say your maintance calories is 2000. Let's say that if you need to burn fat and lose weight, you need to take in 1700 calories. Well I say bullsh!t. You need to pay attention to macronutrients, make sure you are getting at least one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Possible, yes. Possible in calorie deficit without anabolics, no.
Strict dietary compliance with low-moderate intensity cardio seems like best approach to me.