College Dorm - Re-heatable chicken - AnabolicMinds.com

College Dorm - Re-heatable chicken

1. Senior Member
    Answers

College Dorm - Re-heatable chicken

Well this semester I'll be very busy during the mornings and afternoons, with classes during chow hall hours and an internship that will keep me through lunch two days a week. So I'm looking for a way to get a clean diet, and it's turning out to be harder than expected.

What would be a recommendation for re-heatable chicken? Things I can put in a tubberware for lunch daily... so far I have two ideas, and a possible third:

1. Buy Purdue chicken, or pre-cooked chicken.

2. Break the college dorm rules and bring a George Foreman Grille. Buy chicken once a week for the fridge, ect, ect.

3. (Possibly) I recall coming across a small "kitchenette" type area on the second floor of my hall. I suppose I could, once a week, boil a dozen or so chicken breasts and store them in the fridge.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? I plan on going for tuna some days, and other foods others, but I LOVE chicken, and I'd love to be able to keep it in my diet during the weekly lunch times.
    Any ideas or chicken suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.
    Answers

cant you just steal food from your cafateria. and just microwave it?

and if you have access to a stove on some floor in ur building you have nothing to worry about

or find a friend offcampus that you can hook yourself up with cook etc there store there or something

college is the place were you can eat a billion meals a day and super cheap
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Answers

pick up some pouched chicken/tuna/salmon at your grociery store... you don't have to keep it refrigerated or anything, just toss a couple of the sealed pouches in your bag and open it up and heat it... may not taste the best but it will get the job done
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    pick up some pouched chicken/tuna/salmon at your grociery store... you don't have to keep it refrigerated or anything, just toss a couple of the sealed pouches in your bag and open it up and heat it... may not taste the best but it will get the job done
    I'll definitly look into that... any good brands to keep a lookout for? I know such packaged foods are loaded with sodium and preservatives. The thing is that I will be eating such meals at least 5 times a week - wouldn't want some nasty buildup occuring during the semester.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Answers

yeah thats the only down side is the sodium... if your worried about that then you can just cook up a bunch of chicken breasts and put them in tupperware containers and reheat them... they will last for a while in the fridge and will be fine in a sealed container throughout the day till you reheat it
  6. Registered User
    Answers

3 is incredibly easy and what i used to do in my dorm. Once a week, get a gigantic pot... put as much chicken as you can (some spices too if you want), boil it, and come back about 45 minutes later. Proceed to individually zip-loc all the chicken breast.

Very easy/simple way of getting all your protein in once a week.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  197 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    Well this semester I'll be very busy during the mornings and afternoons, with classes during chow hall hours and an internship that will keep me through lunch two days a week. So I'm looking for a way to get a clean diet, and it's turning out to be harder than expected.

What would be a recommendation for re-heatable chicken? Things I can put in a tubberware for lunch daily... so far I have two ideas, and a possible third:

1. Buy Purdue chicken, or pre-cooked chicken.

2. Break the college dorm rules and bring a George Foreman Grille. Buy chicken once a week for the fridge, ect, ect.

3. (Possibly) I recall coming across a small "kitchenette" type area on the second floor of my hall. I suppose I could, once a week, boil a dozen or so chicken breasts and store them in the fridge.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? I plan on going for tuna some days, and other foods others, but I LOVE chicken, and I'd love to be able to keep it in my diet during the weekly lunch times.
    Any ideas or chicken suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    1. Buying pre cooked chicken is convenient but MONEY!

2. I bought a single burner for my dorm....not a good idea....but possible for two reasons: (1) it will smell up the entire dorm floor (trust me)...(2) you might forget and leave it on and someone in the dorm will think there is a fire (...just trust me).

3. Kitchenette is your best bet...I had one at SDSU....just go down there, make all the chicken and whatever else you want..and ziploc that stuff and put it in your fridge.

Hope that helps...
  8. Professional Member
    Answers

i go to college in the city. Its way expensive for me to go out and buy chicken. Id rather do what your doing. reheating chicken should be fine. like someone said it might not be that great tasting but its convient enough and easy enough to do.
  9. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cellardude View Post
    i go to college in the city. Its way expensive for me to go out and buy chicken. Id rather do what your doing. reheating chicken should be fine. like someone said it might not be that great tasting but its convient enough and easy enough to do.
    Not really ... why do you think taste changes? Nutrients are deteriorating, mutagens are forming - and, microwaving generally does bad things to nutrients.

It takes 5-10 minutes to make a meal on a foreman. IMO always cook things at the time you are going to eat them, this is based on lit I have dug through.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Get a Rocket Grill. That thing is the greatest invention of all time, no joke.
  11. Senior Member
    Answers

Thanks for the input guys....

After considering the mini-grill for the room, I'm going to go with using a kitchen (hopefully the dorm's, or in a friend's apartment) to boil a bunch of them for the week.
    The smell COULD get my in some nasty trouble, especially since I'd be grilling at least once a day for one of my smaller meals.... lol

Thanks for the replies everyone
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  197 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys....

After considering the mini-grill for the room, I'm going to go with using a kitchen (hopefully the dorm's, or in a friend's apartment) to boil a bunch of them for the week.
    The smell COULD get my in some nasty trouble, especially since I'd be grilling at least once a day for one of my smaller meals.... lol

Thanks for the replies everyone
    You don't think it will smell up but it REALLY REALLY will....I grilled one chicken breast at a time and it smoked out my entire floor....and we had A/C.

Good choice!
  13. jrm
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rpen22 View Post
    Get a Rocket Grill. That thing is the greatest invention of all time, no joke.
    Do you have this?
  14. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Do you have this?
    I do.
  15. New Member
    Answers

Get a bunch of canned tuna or chicken, drain it, make sandwiches. Use about a can per sandwich and its something like 30 grams of protein. That is what I do at college and I have a stove, microwave, and all that. It is just easier and cheaper.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Foremans and college dorm rooms
    By Rah22491 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
  2. Bodybuilding and DORM\COLLEGE LIFE
    By pudzian2 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 10:24 PM
  3. a few questions re nolva
    By zswole in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 04:19 PM
  4. College Football: Who's a Fan?
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 01-10-2003, 12:34 PM
  5. Egad - Help: Chicken Legs B/c Of Bad Knees!!
    By gettin'old in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2002, 10:37 AM