College Dorm - Re-heatable chicken

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Well this semester I'll be very busy during the mornings and afternoons, with classes during chow hall hours and an internship that will keep me through lunch two days a week. So I'm looking for a way to get a clean diet, and it's turning out to be harder than expected.

What would be a recommendation for re-heatable chicken? Things I can put in a tubberware for lunch daily... so far I have two ideas, and a possible third:

1. Buy Purdue chicken, or pre-cooked chicken.

2. Break the college dorm rules and bring a George Foreman Grille. Buy chicken once a week for the fridge, ect, ect.

3. (Possibly) I recall coming across a small "kitchenette" type area on the second floor of my hall. I suppose I could, once a week, boil a dozen or so chicken breasts and store them in the fridge.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? I plan on going for tuna some days, and other foods others, but I LOVE chicken, and I'd love to be able to keep it in my diet during the weekly lunch times.
Any ideas or chicken suggestions are greatly appreciated!

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
cant you just steal food from your cafateria. and just microwave it?

and if you have access to a stove on some floor in ur building you have nothing to worry about

or find a friend offcampus that you can hook yourself up with cook etc there store there or something

college is the place were you can eat a billion meals a day and super cheap

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
pick up some pouched chicken/tuna/salmon at your grociery store... you don't have to keep it refrigerated or anything, just toss a couple of the sealed pouches in your bag and open it up and heat it... may not taste the best but it will get the job done

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
pick up some pouched chicken/tuna/salmon at your grociery store... you don't have to keep it refrigerated or anything, just toss a couple of the sealed pouches in your bag and open it up and heat it... may not taste the best but it will get the job done
I'll definitly look into that... any good brands to keep a lookout for? I know such packaged foods are loaded with sodium and preservatives. The thing is that I will be eating such meals at least 5 times a week - wouldn't want some nasty buildup occuring during the semester.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
yeah thats the only down side is the sodium... if your worried about that then you can just cook up a bunch of chicken breasts and put them in tupperware containers and reheat them... they will last for a while in the fridge and will be fine in a sealed container throughout the day till you reheat it

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
3 is incredibly easy and what i used to do in my dorm. Once a week, get a gigantic pot... put as much chicken as you can (some spices too if you want), boil it, and come back about 45 minutes later. Proceed to individually zip-loc all the chicken breast.

Very easy/simple way of getting all your protein in once a week.

SelfKnowledge

Awards
Well this semester I'll be very busy during the mornings and afternoons, with classes during chow hall hours and an internship that will keep me through lunch two days a week. So I'm looking for a way to get a clean diet, and it's turning out to be harder than expected.

What would be a recommendation for re-heatable chicken? Things I can put in a tubberware for lunch daily... so far I have two ideas, and a possible third:

1. Buy Purdue chicken, or pre-cooked chicken.

2. Break the college dorm rules and bring a George Foreman Grille. Buy chicken once a week for the fridge, ect, ect.

3. (Possibly) I recall coming across a small "kitchenette" type area on the second floor of my hall. I suppose I could, once a week, boil a dozen or so chicken breasts and store them in the fridge.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? I plan on going for tuna some days, and other foods others, but I LOVE chicken, and I'd love to be able to keep it in my diet during the weekly lunch times.
Any ideas or chicken suggestions are greatly appreciated!
1. Buying pre cooked chicken is convenient but MONEY!

2. I bought a single burner for my dorm....not a good idea....but possible for two reasons: (1) it will smell up the entire dorm floor (trust me)...(2) you might forget and leave it on and someone in the dorm will think there is a fire (...just trust me).

3. Kitchenette is your best bet...I had one at SDSU....just go down there, make all the chicken and whatever else you want..and ziploc that stuff and put it in your fridge.

Hope that helps...

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
i go to college in the city. Its way expensive for me to go out and buy chicken. Id rather do what your doing. reheating chicken should be fine. like someone said it might not be that great tasting but its convient enough and easy enough to do.

fitnecise

Awards
i go to college in the city. Its way expensive for me to go out and buy chicken. Id rather do what your doing. reheating chicken should be fine. like someone said it might not be that great tasting but its convient enough and easy enough to do.
Not really ... why do you think taste changes? Nutrients are deteriorating, mutagens are forming - and, microwaving generally does bad things to nutrients.

It takes 5-10 minutes to make a meal on a foreman. IMO always cook things at the time you are going to eat them, this is based on lit I have dug through.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input guys....

After considering the mini-grill for the room, I'm going to go with using a kitchen (hopefully the dorm's, or in a friend's apartment) to boil a bunch of them for the week.
The smell COULD get my in some nasty trouble, especially since I'd be grilling at least once a day for one of my smaller meals.... lol

Thanks for the replies everyone

SelfKnowledge

Awards
Thanks for the input guys....

After considering the mini-grill for the room, I'm going to go with using a kitchen (hopefully the dorm's, or in a friend's apartment) to boil a bunch of them for the week.
The smell COULD get my in some nasty trouble, especially since I'd be grilling at least once a day for one of my smaller meals.... lol

Thanks for the replies everyone
You don't think it will smell up but it REALLY REALLY will....I grilled one chicken breast at a time and it smoked out my entire floor....and we had A/C.

Good choice!

oafyc

Awards
Get a bunch of canned tuna or chicken, drain it, make sandwiches. Use about a can per sandwich and its something like 30 grams of protein. That is what I do at college and I have a stove, microwave, and all that. It is just easier and cheaper.