Is Grilling Linked to Cancer?

1. Registered User

Post Is Grilling Linked to Cancer?

Is Grilling Linked to Cancer?

NewsRx.com

08-16-07

Grilling is a low-fat method of cooking, says Elizabeth Schaub, registered and licensed dietitian on the medical staff at Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano. But we have to be aware that it can increase our risk of cancer if we eat grilled meats too often.

It s true those juicy burgers, especially the charred ones, can contain cancer-causing carcinogens. When you grill meat some of the fat does drip down on to the charcoal and when fat meets that really high temperature it develops a carcinogen and the smoke carries the carcinogen back up to the meat which can be dangerous for our bodies, explains Schaub.

But there are some ways to grill safer. One is to simply avoid burning or searing meats. Cooking food longer at lower temperatures is best.

"To also cut down on carcinogens you can decrease the amount of time that the food is actually on the grill, adds Schaub. Precook the meat in either the oven or the microwave then finish it up on the grill just to give it a little bit of crispness and a little bit of flavor.

Another tip is to choose leaner cuts.

Skinless chicken or lean beef or pork, suggests Schaub. Decreasing the amount of fat that s able to drip down onto the coals also will decrease your carcinogens.

And finally, remember that just meat cooked on the grill can form cancer-causing chemicals other foods pose no risk.

You really don t get carcinogen development when you grill fruits and vegetables and those can be a nice, flavorful accompaniment to a low-fat piece of meat for a meal, adds Schaub.

What about fish? Can it too develop carcinogens on the grill? Experts say yes, red meat, chicken, fish anything that contains protein can develop carcinogens.

So remember don t char your meat and lower the temperature of your grill. Also, cutting meats up and skewering them can cut down on their time on the grill meaning less carcinogens. And finally, flipping foods frequently can help prevent the chemicals from forming.

For more information about Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano, visit Baylor Health Care System: Providing care to the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and its surrounding areas..

2. Idiot Savant
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

I always remember this topic by thinking char minus the h is car as in carcinogen.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Grilled foods have elevated nitrosamines in them and this has been known for a long time.

Ain't stoppin me though. lol

I tend to prefer medium rare meats anyways. I disagree that searing is bad because IMO, you are lessoning the amount of time the meat stays exposed to the higher heat levels. If you're like me, you sear your steak to seal in the juices and then it only gets another few minutes on lower heat to finish it off.
    •   

4. Registered User

I wonder if it is strong evidence or not.
    That sucks because I have been flame grilling my steak by putting olive oil inbetween the grill bars so underneath the bars flames up.
  5. Gate Keeper

If grilling is wrong I don't want to be right
  6. Registered User

aww.. this is such sad news since my family loves to have picnics and grill food. ive heard about this sometime ago but right now I still do not know what is the actual truth about this..
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pancreatic cancer apoptosis linked to 3,3'-diindolylmethane
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 09:34 PM
  2. Berry Compound Thwarts Enzyme Linked to Cancer
    By yeahright in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 04:35 PM
  3. Cancer 'switch' linked to repair of brain damage
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles