Diet Feedback.

m4tr1xx

Awards
I am 19 years old, 5' 11", 185 pounds. My body fat is around 13- 15%. I have been working out for about 1 1/2 years.M y goal is to clean bulk and hopefully go down to 10 or 11%. I am slightly confused at how my diet should be. This is the diet i plan on trying for a bit and i was wondering if it would yield the results i am looking for. Aswell i was wondering if i were to run or bike 4x a week how it would affect my goals. Another questions , i used to drink 2L of skim milk a day, if i cut down to 2 - 3 servings an up my water should that make a difference?

Thanks alot.

Meal 1 (7 AM)
1 cup of dry oats mixed with water
1 cup of egg beaters

Meal 2 (9 AM)
Meal replacement or protein powder (around 40 grams of protein) mixed with water
1 Tablespoon of Flaxseed Oil

Meal 3 (12 Noon)
1 cup of brown rice, or medium sized baked potato, or 1 cup of oatmeal
2 cups of green beans, broccoli or any other desired vegetable
6-8 ounces of chicken, turkey, or lean fish

Meal 4 (3 PM)
Meal replacement or protein powder (around 40 grams of protein) mixed with water

Meal 5 (6 PM)
1 cup of brown rice, or medium sized baked potato, or 1 cup of oatmeal
2 cups of green beans, broccoli or any other desired vegetable
6-8 ounces of chicken, turkey, or lean fish

Meal 6 (8 PM)
Meal replacement or protein powder (around 40 grams of protein) mixed with water (No flaxseed Oil at this time)

IainDaniel

Awards
Cals?

What was your diet like prior to this? Cals?

m4tr1xx

Awards
Prior to this i would have breakfast 1 - 2 times a week. 1 Bowl of cereal and a glass of milk.
A lunch would consist of pretty much anything i can find whether it be left over dinner, so steak, chicken , potatoes, lasagna, sandwich on white, pizza. I wouldn't eat until dinner where i would eat lots of vegetables, salad, chicken or steak or some type of meat. I would as well snack throughout the day with sometimes chocolate, ice cream, yogurt, cheese, chips. I can cut down on the junk food and the new plan had more spread out eating. My calorie count is hard to calculate because most of the food i would eat would be homemade. I hope this can give you a rough idea.

IainDaniel

Awards
Your food choices look decent, I am a fan of trying to get some fruit and more veggies in.

Trying to bulk and lose bf% is extremely difficult and usually very unproductive. You can try and eat extremely clean with a slight caloric surplus to minimize any BF gains. But the best route would be to chose either gain weight or lose BF.

Try this meal plan that you have posted for a couple of weeks, Check your weight weekly, and measurements, and adjust based on your outcome.

mbj0186

Awards
I've been bodybuilding for 10 years and I am currently getting my master's in nutrition (last year!!). From my personal experience in and out of school, unless your taking "roids" or you are a genetic freak, it is going to be hard to make pure muscle gains without adding some fat in the process.

A little fat gain will not hurt you, in fact it may make you stronger which will help you build more muscle by being able to lift heavier weights. If you ask me...your diet looks too clean for muscle gain. Maybe instead you should aim for bulking now and getting lean later. It took me 3 solid years of bulking to get where I wanted to before I began focusing on fat loss. As long as your % bodyfat stays the same you will be fine. Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so your % will most likely remain the same or even go down. Plus the more muscle you have the less cardio you have to do to burn fat, because muscle tissue is more metabolically active.

Add some calorie dense foods to your diet and focus on complex carbohydrates instead of protein. Extra protein DOES NOT build muscle. A lot of people make that dreadful mistake. Carbohydrates supply the energy for anaerobic exercises, NOT protein. Also, minimize your cardio sessions to 20 minutes to avoid burning too many calories. You'll need those for growth!!! I could go on and on, but I won't.

IainDaniel

Awards
If you ask me...your diet looks too clean for muscle gain.

What do you mean by that? Doesn't matter how clean the diet is, as long as the Cals in exceed the cals out, he should gain weight. I am not a big supporter of eating ****tier choices of food just cause you are on a "bulk" These choices lead to poor habits, for the most part.

Agreed on adding more Healthy fats to your diet though.

mbj0186

Awards
What do you mean by that? Doesn't matter how clean the diet is, as long as the Cals in exceed the cals out, he should gain weight. I am not a big supporter of eating ****tier choices of food just cause you are on a "bulk" These choices lead to poor habits, for the most part.

Agreed on adding more Healthy fats to your diet though.
When I say "too clean", I don't mean that he should be out eating McDonalds's and donuts. I mean that the diet above is not ideal for gaining weight. It's too low in calories and carbs for successful weight gain. When one eats too clean it's hard to get the excess calories needed for muscle gain. He's eating a lot of low calorie, nutrient dense foods, which is good but not ideal. He should be focusing on high calorie, nutrient dense foods such as peanut butter, low fat cheese, whole eggs (1-2 per day), lean to medium fat red meats, and a lot of starchy carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, breads complemented with vegetables and fruits for vitamins and minerals.

I don't agree with eating "crap" and using that as an excuse either, but without a varied diet that encompasses all parts of the food pyramid it will be hard to get all the necessary nutrients for optimal growth.

Bottom line, if your trying to gain size, just eat man (but don't pig out of course, your health is important too)