daily fat intake

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Answers

This post will clear it up (and yes, you are right and I was mistaken to a point, however you are not always in ketosis on the diet due to the carb-up):

Despite what anybody says, the 30g of carbs does NOT keep you out of ketosis. In fact this diet has nothing to do with being in ketosis at all(as far as ketonuria goes). The next person that says "if you are in ketosis then you are not on the AD" should be beaten with a whole wheat pasta noodle.

Triglycerides AND ketones are used by the body on this diet. When you load on the AD you are refilling your glycogen stores. Now when these glycogen stores are depleted then you start producing ketones for use by the brain and other tissues to function. That is why you load again.

Some people begin showing Ketonuria(Ketones in the urine) sooner than others based on several factors with activity being the main one. There is a big difference between someone with a desk job and someone doing manual labor as far as glycogen depletion setting in even on 30g carbs.

The lower your glycogen gets, the more likely you are to start showing ketones in your urine. There is no way around this besides upping your CHO during the week, but I have found 60g at times to still be insufficient.

I have used the strips for the past two years and have seen what effects certain things have on ketone levels so despite what people want to think or say, my research strangely enough matches the data available that I(and from the sounds of it Bizmark) have read.

Now if somebody says that the doctor told Nelson Montana that if you are in Ketosis then you are not on the AD, then I wish you the best, but you should realize that that was like 8-9 years ago and there is a bigger body of evidence to suggest otherwise.

Glycogen stores empty = KETOSIS
    Increased Fat intake = Increase in lipolytic enzymes
    Increased lipolytic enzymes = FFA use for energy
    FFA use energy = Adaptation
    Adaptation + Glycogen stores empty = FFA and Ketones for energy
    FFA and Ketones for energy = MEGA fat burning and protein sparing

2. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dhuge67 View Post
    Glycogen stores empty = KETOSIS
    True
    Increased Fat intake = Increase in lipolytic enzymes
    In caloric equilibrium/deficit. Otherwise more lipogenic enzymes present which will inhibit lipolytic processes
    Increased lipolytic enzymes = FFA use for energy
    True
    Glycogen stores empty = FFA and Ketones for energy
    Depends on stress levels. The more epinephrine or cortisol the higher chance of muscle catabolism regardless of "adaption"
    FFA and Ketones for energy = MEGA fat burning and protein sparing
    Again, in a calorie deficit.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  3. Registered User
    Answers

j21, I think you should post that on the thread at T-Nation. I'm curious to see what the others might reply with, as far as scientific reasoning is concerned for any possible arguments contrary to what you have said.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

j21, I think you should post that on the thread at T-Nation. I'm curious to see what the others might reply with, as far as scientific reasoning is concerned for any possible arguments contrary to what you have said.
    Although I peruse a few forums, I typically keep most of my posting here. I am pretty confident with my reasoning.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21 View Post
    Although I peruse a few forums, I typically keep most of my posting here. I am pretty confident with my reasoning.
    I'll ask for you!
  6. Registered User
    Answers

It might be my wishfull thinking but I think this is the diet that is going to have people settle on the happy medium of 33/33/33.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    It might be my wishfull thinking but I think this is the diet that is going to have people settle on the happy medium of 33/33/33.
    Which is not "happy" at all when you consider differing levels of caloric intake. A 33/33/33 diet with an intake of 1800 calories (late stage of a serious cutting diet), your protein intake would be 150 grams....not good, if you weigh more than 150 lbs.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Which is not "happy" at all when you consider differing levels of caloric intake. A 33/33/33 diet with an intake of 1800 calories (late stage of a serious cutting diet), your protein intake would be 150 grams....not good, if you weigh more than 150 lbs.
    hmmm, well (PCF) 40/30/30 or 50/25/25 or even something like 50/20/30
  9. Board Supporter
    Answers

Actually that is something that is debatable as well.

Firstly when you are cutting you are not really looking to build muscle but more so to preserve muscle. Consequently protein requirements are not necessarily as high when cutting.

Secondly, carbs and fats are protein sparing so as their percentages go up there is less demand on protein as an energy source.

Even for a 150lb person 1800 cals is pretty aggressive - unless they are sedentary. For say a lean 200lb'er I would expect some muscle loss on 1800 cals whether they consumed 150g or 300g of protein.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 05:38 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
  3. Fat intake: 40-40-20 question
    By marshmallow man in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 01:01 PM
  4. fat intake?
    By dsmlinc in forum Weight Loss