What is wrong with me?!?

mountainboy

Awards
So I had some bloodwork done and my doctor tried to explain it all to me in comparison to what an average person should have. I don't feel he did the best job, can somebody help me understand what this all means, especially in terms of why it's so hard for me to put on any size or lose any weight.

SODIUM, SERUM 144
POTASSIUM, SERUM 4.6
CHLORIDE, SERUM 107
CARBON DIOXIDE 20
UREA NITROGEN, BLOOD (BUN) 17
CREATININE, SERUM 0.9
eGFR >60
GLUCOSE 90
CALCIUM, SERUM 9.7
TOTAL PROTEIN 7.4
ALBUMIN 4.7
GLOBULIN, TOTAL 2.7
A/G RATIO 1.7
AST (SGOT) 31
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.6
ALT (SGPT) 34
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 61
DHEA-S 193
WHITE BLOOD COUNT 5.5
RED BLOOD COUNT 5.02
HEMOGLOBIN 15.8
HEMATOCRIT 47.6
MCV 95
MCH 31.4
MCHC 33.1
RED CELL DIST. WIDTH 13.9
NEUTROPHILS 44
LYMPHOCYTES 35
MONOCYTES 7
EOSINOPHILS 14
BASOPHILS 0
NEUTROPHILS (ABS VALUE) 2.40
LYMPHOCYTES (ABS VALUE) 1.90
MONOCYTES (ABS VALUE) 0.40
EOSINOPHILS (ABS VALUE) 0.800
BASOPHILS (ABS VALUE) 0.000
PLATELET COUNT 286
T3, FREE 369
TSH (HIGH SENSITIVITY) 1.77
THYROXINE, FREE, DIRECT 1.18
ESTRADIOL (E2) <32
TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 480
CORTISOL, SERUM AM 11.5
CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL 200
TRIGLYCERIDES 128
VLDL CHOLESTEROL (CALCULATED) 26
LDL CHOLESTEROL (CALCULATED) 141
CHOLESTEROL HDL 33
CHOLESTEROL/HDL RATIO 6.1
LDL/HDL RATIO 4.27
HIGH SENSITIVITY CRP 0.56
HOMOCYSTEINE, TOTAL 4.6

See, I met with my doctor to get the blood work done, because I have no sex drive, very low energy(take naps all the time, hard to stay awake while driving for about 4 years now) and for the life of me, I can't put on any muscle. I sure put on fat easily though. I am 27 weigh 207 and my bf is 30%. What is my body lacking that keeps me in this shape? I run for 1/2 hour 3 times a week and lift heavy 5 days a week (different bodypart every day). Thank you for any input you have. I have a clean diet with about 1300 cal/day (trying to cut currently/still). When I've tried to bulk, my diet is about 3500 cal/day

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
damn...those are a lot of numbers...i hope you find out what all of this stuff means, too.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
So I had some bloodwork done and my doctor tried to explain it all to me in comparison to what an average person should have. I don't feel he did the best job, can somebody help me understand what this all means, especially in terms of why it's so hard for me to put on any size or lose any weight.

See, I met with my doctor to get the blood work done, because I have no sex drive, very low energy(take naps all the time, hard to stay awake while driving for about 4 years now) and for the life of me, I can't put on any muscle. I sure put on fat easily though. I am 27 weigh 207 and my bf is 30%. What is my body lacking that keeps me in this shape? I run for 1/2 hour 3 times a week and lift heavy 5 days a week (different bodypart every day). Thank you for any input you have. I have a clean diet with about 1300 cal/day (trying to cut currently/still). When I've tried to bulk, my diet is about 3500 cal/day

1300 is awfully low, No wonder you feel like crap and can't add muscle. How long have you been on 1300 cals? Perhaps your metabolism is shot now. Why were you bulking @ 30% bf? A 'bulk' at that bf level will only add more fat. You don't list your height, but @ 207lbs and 5'10", your BMR is ~2000 cals. If you are as active as you say, running and weightlifting, and your metabolism was working correctly, you could easily up that closer to 3k and possibly add some muscle.

Post up your routine and typical daily diet. What are your macros?

I find that my weightloss accelerated when I ate above 'maintenance' once a week or so (sort of a refeed).

X

mountainboy

Awards
1300 is awfully low, No wonder you feel like crap and can't add muscle. How long have you been on 1300 cals? Perhaps your metabolism is shot now. Why were you bulking @ 30% bf? A 'bulk' at that bf level will only add more fat. You don't list your height, but @ 207lbs and 5'10", your BMR is ~2000 cals. If you are as active as you say, running and weightlifting, and your metabolism was working correctly, you could easily up that closer to 3k and possibly add some muscle.

Post up your routine and typical daily diet. What are your macros?

I find that my weightloss accelerated when I ate above 'maintenance' once a week or so (sort of a refeed).

X
Breakfast: 1cup Kashi cereal, banana, 1/2C 2% milk
Lunch: medium size salad (usually spinach) w/tuna and thousand Island dressing or 2 slices wheat bread 57g turkey and tiny bit of lettuce
Afternoon snack: 1c light yogurt, handful of grapes or an apple
Dinner: usually chicken or turkey something w/ some kind of veggie (whatever my wife makes)
I don't know exactly what the macros are in my diet
My height is 5'8", and I have been trying to cut for about 2 months now- I was trying to put on some muscle by doing a bulk, because my lifts suck, my max on the bench is maybe 180 on a good day, and I've been lifting for about 3-4 years.
Right now my workout is 3 sets 8-12 reps-
flat bench, tri press, weighted crunches, weighted back extensions, bicep curls, lateral raises, lat row, seated calf press, leg extension, leg curl, and then the squat. I have been doing this routine for the past 2 weeks, before that it was 1-2 body parts a day about 5 different exercises each. Saturday is my refeed day.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
you need some fat in your diet!

The body uses fat to manufacture all of it's steroidal compounds.

Cholesterol is the basic building block of all hormones.

Try some butter,mmmm butter

Increasing your fat intake will also slow your carb burn, less roller coaster effect more stability

Your body is most likely in constant state of insulin shock,cannot build muscle in that state, the fat storage is your body reacting to the shock.

Try some more fats and the worst thing that can happen is that your food will taste better!

Do you get enough sunshine?

Sunshine will release Vitamin D in your body which has a tremendous growth factor.

Good luck !!!!

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
1300 is awfully low, No wonder you feel like crap and can't add muscle. (sort of a refeed).

X
Thats exactly right,your not eating,end of story...Right now I'm taking in 7,000+ calories a day in my bulk and I'm only at a 220-230lb cutback weight...your just not eating...also without fat in your diet you can actually get depression among many other thinks(feel like sh1t)Seriously though...How are you eating that little,I eat that in half my breakfast...My suggestion...start throwin in some Whopper combos....Tons of bread,pastas,...Forget eating clean...eat dirty,then you can always cut the fat off later....EAT EAT EAT:pizza: A whopper combo has more calories than your entire daily intake...go hit the drivethrough

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Breakfast: 1cup Kashi cereal, banana, 1/2C 2% milk
Lunch: medium size salad (usually spinach) w/tuna and thousand Island dressing or 2 slices wheat bread 57g turkey and tiny bit of lettuce
Afternoon snack: 1c light yogurt, handful of grapes or an apple
Dinner: usually chicken or turkey something w/ some kind of veggie (whatever my wife makes)
I don't know exactly what the macros are in my diet
My height is 5'8", and I have been trying to cut for about 2 months now- I was trying to put on some muscle by doing a bulk, because my lifts suck, my max on the bench is maybe 180 on a good day, and I've been lifting for about 3-4 years.
Right now my workout is 3 sets 8-12 reps-
flat bench, tri press, weighted crunches, weighted back extensions, bicep curls, lateral raises, lat row, seated calf press, leg extension, leg curl, and then the squat. I have been doing this routine for the past 2 weeks, before that it was 1-2 body parts a day about 5 different exercises each. Saturday is my refeed day.
Others are starting to comment on your diet, so I will mention your routine. Although I don't necessarily agree with the Whopper combos, esp. when you are @ 30% bf, I do agree that you need some healthy fats in there. Olive Oil, Cold Water fish(salmon), etc. are necessary. You can cut on a high fat diet, just has to be the good fats.

I would suggest you sign up at fitday.com and start tracking your diet, every single thing that goes into your mouth for atleast one month. I doubt you were at 1300 cals/day. That would be a 700 cal/day or 3400cal/week deficiency. With that alone you should be dropping ~1lb /week, not including the weight training and cardio that you are doing.

You only do one or two compound type exercise(squat). You should add in some deadlifts, BB rows, etc.

I don't know about your rep scheme, intensity, etc. but I would suggest dropping the isolation exercises - curls, calf presses, etc.

A fat guy doing sets and sets of curls is just funny...

Go read up about and implement MadCow's 5x5 intermediate program and nail down a real progression based workout. You will increase your 'big lifts' and you WILL grow. You will within a month or so, notice some significant recomp changes to your body if you stick with the program and are honest with your initial 5RM numbers.

:bb3:

X

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to BK,Can we take your order......"Yes I'd Like Double w/ cheese and King size it w/ rings instead of fries...";)

mountainboy

Awards
Thanks for all the info guys! I will up my cal intake (as clean as possible) and look into changing my workout- I'll check out that 5X5 workout. I appreciate all the help.