Glucose Meter Preference

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
for those using glucose meters which ones do you prefer and why?

I'm going to be picking one up shortly.

Ronnie

Ronnie

Awards
  • Established
One Touch Ultra. Why? Because it only takes 5 seconds to read and takes minimal amounts of blood...oh and Ive been using them multiple times a day for 20 years now and have used them all.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
thanks Ronnie.

edit: have to spread reps around first.

Last edited:
Ronnie

Ronnie

Awards
  • Established
Its all good. They get expensive with strips without insurance!

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
i don't plan on using it all the time. just want to see how i react to some different foods and portions...as well as run some checks on my insulin resistance. And see what AP and Yellow Gold do to my blood sugar levels.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
One Touch has a new 'mini' model that I just got. A little smaller and thus more convenient.

The Ultra Smarts have some neat logging features but they are kinda big.

Kabuki, are you diabetic or are you just experimenting?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
just experimenting.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just experimenting.
You won't be able to get much of a feel for your insulin sensitivity because your body will just automatically make whatever adjustments are necessary to keep blood glucose in check. In your case you would have to measure insulin levels directly (not practical). A diabetic on the other hand, can infer what insulin levels they should have based on how for out of balance their glucose levels are.

As Ronnie mentioned, strips are expensive without coverage. This might be an expensive experiment that won't yield all that much info.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
here
Insulin Index - Control Your Sensitivity
Author: Technical Panel

SENSITIVITY AND TESTING

Individual Differences - Are You Sensitive?
In the last section it was recommended splitting six daily meals up into about three protein and carb meals and about three protein and fat meals. This plan works well for most people in terms of maximizing muscle gain while minimizing fat gain when overfeeding. However, just like different training programs are necessary for different individuals, individual responses to nutrition are varied. So rather than telling you that there's one program for all, we hope to give you some tips so that you can determine which eating plan is best for you.

The factors governing your response to different nutritional intakes are pretty diverse, but one major factor that has been focusing on lately is insulin and glucose tolerance. Insulin sensitivity seems to be the most important factor dictating how the body will handle carbs. For those who have high insulin sensitivity, the body responds to carb intake with small insulin surges. Although the insulin surges are small, the cells are very responsive to that little amount of insulin and do a great job of becoming anabolic. Since lots of insulin can inhibit fat loss, the ideal scenario is to become very insulin sensitive so that only small amounts of insulin are required for anabolism and so that those small amounts of insulin don't prevent fat loss.

In most experience, individuals who have high insulin sensitivity maximize their muscle to fat ratio on diets that are high in carbs and lower in fat (50% carbs, 35% protein, 15% fat). Those with moderate insulin sensitivity tend to do best on diets that are more isocaloric (30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat). And those with poor insulin sensitivity do best on diets that are low in carbs (50% protein, 35% fat, 15% carbs). This again, correlates well with natural genetic make-up of metabolic typing.

So within the framework of this study on insulin, if you're highly insulin sensitive, more than three of your daily meals would be carb plus protein meals. If your insulin sensitivity isn't so great, more than three of your meals will be protein plus fat.

Insulin Sensitivity - Testing
So the next question is how do you know if you're sensitive or not? The easiest thing to do is just think about what types of diets you respond to best. If low carb diets work great for you, then you're probably insulin insensitive. If you can eat a lot of carbs and not get fat then you're probably insulin sensitive. If you'd like something more concrete than that, read on. It may also be a good idea to complete the questionaire on the metabolic typing page.

Preferred methods that, although more time consuming, are objective would be things such as an oral glucose tolerance test. For this you need to go to your local pharmacy and purchase a glucometer, some glucose test strips, and a standard glucose beverage (ask your pharmacist about this because it has to be a specific kind. Pepsi won't work). A glucometer is a small device that takes pin pricks of blood from the ends of your finger and analyses the level of sugar in the blood. Once you've got the goods, you'll plan your test.

After going at least 24 hours without exercise (do this test after a day off from training), as of course exercise alters blood sugar levels, you'll wake up in the morning (fasted at least 12 hours) and you'll take a blood sample from your finger tip. Write down this number. Then drink your glucose beverage and continue to take blood samples at 15, 30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes. Record all the numbers at each time point. Here's a little chart of what you should expect:

Normal Insulin Sensitivity and Glucose Tolerance

Excellent Insulin Sensitivity and Glucose Tolerance

Fasted Blood Glucose

<100mg/dl

<70mg/dl

Peak Blood Glucose

<180mg/dl at peak

<130mg/dl

Time to Maximum Blood Glucose Level

30-60 minutes

15-30 minutes

Time Back to Fasted Glucose Level

30-60 minutes

60-90 minutes

The second test that we like to recommend for assessing insulin sensitivity is a fasted glucose and insulin test. For this you need to see your doctor. This test is simply a blood draw in the fasted state. It's easy to do. Just schedule an appointment, the nurse will do a single blood draw, and then the lab will measure the levels of insulin and glucose in your blood at this time. Using one of the following equations, you'll have both an insulin sensitivity score and a pancreatic responsiveness score:

Insulin Sensitivity =

Fasted Insulin (mU/L) / 22.5 x E to the X e-ln(Fasted Glucose (mmol/L))

or

Fasted Insulin (pmol/L) x (Fasted Glucose (mmol/L) / 135)

Pancreatic Beta Cell Function =

(20 x Fasted Insulin (mU/L)) / (Fasted Glucose (mmol/L)-3.5)

or

(3.33 x Fasted Insulin (pmol/L) / (Fasted Glucose (mmol/L)-3.5)

If you're not a math whiz or don't own a calculator, have your doctor do the math for you. Remember, you have to go to his office to get the test done in the first place. Once you have these values, compare your numbers to the following to see how sensitive you are:

Insulin Sensitivity

Lower score = more sensitive

Normal insulin sensitivity: score should be below 2

Excellent insulin sensitivity: score will be around 0.5

Pancreatic Beta Cell Function

Higher = better pancreatic function and insulin release

Normal pancreatic function: score should be about 100

Excellent pancreatic function: score will be above 200

Once you've collected these measures, you'll have a better indication of what type of diet you need to consume. Its recommended doing these tests at least once every few months to see how your diet and training is impacting your insulin sensitivity. Insulin sensitivity can change dramatically very quickly, based upon the quality of your diet. Abusing your pancreas over a short period of time is a sure fire way to contribute to insulin insensitivity. If you catch it in time, you can regain some sensitivity. Over abuse and your likely to have diabetes for good - and its unlikely you will have built a superior physique in the process. Much rather the opposite. You can read more below about how to increase your insulin sensitivity, if you have had the misfortune of abusing it for too long, say with an extended high carb, high calorie, bulking up diet.

How To Increase Insulin Sensitivity
So let's assume that you've done the tests mentioned above and you weren't happy with the results. Or you have an underpinning idea or gut feeling that you may indeed be insulin resistant or insensitive. Well, instead of resigning yourself to a flabby midsection for the remainder of your days there are some things you can do to increase insulin sensitivity. Below is an outline of beneficial things that can promote better insulin sensitivity. Of course eating in a manner as outlined above, and in the metabolic typing section will also improve your insulin responses to food.

Both aerobic and resistance training greatly increase insulin sensitivity through a variety of mechanisms. So include both in your program. It has been seen to have tremendous increases in insulin sensitivity with three to four intense weight training sessions per week lasting 1 to 1.5 hours per session. These sessions should be coupled with at least three or four aerobic sessions lasting 30 minutes per session. To really target insulin sensitivity, you'd want to perform weight training and cardio separately. Remember these are tips to improve insulin sensitivity - they are not targeted perhaps for your own unique individualised goals.

In addition, supplements like omega 3 fatty acids, fish oils, alpha-lipoic acid, and chromium can increase insulin sensitivity. Its typically recommended starting out with 600 mg of alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) and concentrated fish oils containing a total of six to ten grams of DHA and EPA (the most active omega 3 fats in fish oils). Remember how important fish oils are. Have a read of the section on fats to understand more. Needless to say, when you are eating to maintain and improve your insulin response, you should be consuming a number of meals that are protein and fat based only. And the fats should come first choice from fish oils where possible.

On the flip side, stimulants like ephedrine and caffeine can decrease insulin sensitivity due to their effects on metabolism. Furthermore, the low carb, high-fat diets that have become popular can also lead to decreased insulin sensitivity when followed for long periods of time. This can pose potential problems or insulin insensitivity when low to no carb dieting for extended periods for fat loss while simultaneously taking caffeine and ephedrine based stimulant fat loss aids. It is better to cycle these stints into a periodized eating approach or not remain on them for too long a time period.

So if your insulin sensitivity isn't ideal the first time you measure it, try the approaches listed above. Then go back after a month or two and re-test. You'll see that the numbers look much better

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
more

Hormones - Insulin - Insulin Index :: Nutrition :: Basic

Introduction to the Insulin Index
The Insulin Index is not entirely new to the world, yet it does apparently only seem to be gaining respect and attention in recent times due to great leaps and bounds made in the field of human nutrition of late. This information may just be the most groundbreaking you will read about in a long time in terms of seeing dramatic changes and improvements to your physique.

What is the difference then between the insulin index and the glycaemic index?
You have most likely heard of the glycaemic index, and now you have the insulin index, and the two tie in very nicely together indeed for you to make informed choices about the foods you eat, but they are entirely different - find out how.

Insulin Sensitivity and Insulin Resistance
Insulin sensitivity and resistance are two of the most important factors for you to grasp when learning about your highly anabolic storage hormone insulin. This information could change your physique and your life span more than you ever dreamed possible if you understand and apply the information.

Three Important Factors Of Insulin and Your Physique
Insulin being a primary anabolic and storage hormone on your body - its affects can be dramatic and profound.

Techniques To Control Your Anabolic Hormone - Insulin
How do you take control of this positively impacting hormone correctly with your diet.

Individual Differences - Are You Sensitive?
As you know, we are all different, and here you can learn the methods and procedures to test yourself to see just how sensitive you may be to the effects of the hormone insulin, in response to the foods that you are regularly eating.

The Other Factors Involved in Progress
There are numerous factors involved in the process of putting together a sound nutritional strategy. One of those is the II, and the foods you eat, their quantities, combinations and timings. These are not the only factors. Discover more here.

A Carbohydrate Is Not Just A Carbohydrate
As you should know by now, a carbohydrate is not just a carbohydrate - there are many, many forms. And likewise a fat is not just a fat. You can learn here how to eat correctly of the major food groups to manage and control your insulin.

Test Driving The Insulin Index Theory by John M Beradi
It is thanks to the works and writings of John Beradi that the Insulin Index is finally getting its due attention and exposure in the world of athletic nutrition and so you can read here some of his major work and studies.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
i don't plan on using it all the time. just want to see how i react to some different foods and portions...as well as run some checks on my insulin resistance. And see what AP and Yellow Gold do to my blood sugar levels.
I would like to do the same. But through in the GXR by DS as well...

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
You won't be able to get much of a feel for your insulin sensitivity because your body will just automatically make whatever adjustments are necessary to keep blood glucose in check. In your case you would have to measure insulin levels directly (not practical). A diabetic on the other hand, can infer what insulin levels they should have based on how for out of balance their glucose levels are.

As Ronnie mentioned, strips are expensive without coverage. This might be an expensive experiment that won't yield all that much info.
I would like to know what certain foods do to my insulin levels and what supps help. Just like what kabuki is doing.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
I would like to know what certain foods do to my insulin levels and what supps help. Just like what kabuki is doing.
exactly. We all respond differently to different foods. So the Insulin Index is not perfect. When I am attempting to spike my levels I want to know that they are effective. And when I am using supplements to control blood sugar or carbohydrate shuttling I want to make sure they work for me.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There is some very interesting reading here.

on this one it details how to check you insulin resistance.
Insulin Index - Insulin Sensitivity :: Nutrition :: Basic

EDIT: sorry this is the one with the how to check
Insulin Index - Control Your Sensitivity :: Nutrition :: Basic
I'm familiar with all that stuff. As the link also says, you need values for your fasting insulin levels to calculate sensitivity and you cannot test it yourself - a lab is required.

An oral glucose tolerance test will only tell you well... how well you tolerate glucose. You can be sensitive and your body will produce less insulin; alternatively you can be somewhat insensitive but if your insulin production is good, your body can compensate by producing more. Both scenarios could produce similar results but without measuring insulin directly you won't know the whole story.

All I'm saying is that without getting a lab involved, a glucose meter is not going to be all that useful to a non-diabetic.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was diagnosed type-2 five years ago and moved up to type-1 about 3 years ago. I've tried several different supplements: r-ala, acetic acid, cinnamon, and chromium. None made any quantifiable difference. I believe that a chromium deficiency can cause glucose problems but that does not itself mean that having a surplus will help.

The only things that make a quantifiable difference for me is diet and exercise (and of course prescription drugs and exo-insulin) - the same old rhetoric that doctors and diabetic associations harp on. When I am on a cutting diet I take 1 unit (iu) of insulin for every 25-30g of carbs, on maintenance 1 iu per 20, and for bulking about 1 iu per 10-15. A meal that is higher in carbs (same total calories) will require more total insulin but the ratio will stay the same.

I guess what I am trying to say is that trying to micromanage your insulin levels is pretty much a waste of time. Train regularly and eat a whole food based diet at a reasonable calorie level and the rest will take care of itself. Of course its fine if you want to buy a meter and some supplements and play around - just don't expect any great revelations.