Pro and Cons of my new diet...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
A new long commute back and forth to work is forcing me to change my diet around. So after putting some thought behind it, this is what I've come up with:

1 615am Shake (1 Scoop Whey, 1 Scoop Casien, 15g BCAAs, 3/4 Cup Oats, 1tbsp Olive Oil) and 1 Banana
2 9am 3/4 cup Oats, 6oz Tuna, Apple
3 12pm 1 cup oats, 9oz Tuna
4 3pm 1/2 cup oats, 2 scoops Whey, Apple
4-5pm Train
5 5pm 1scoop Whey, 1/2 cup oats
6 630pm Chicken, Veggie, Brown Rice
7 10pm 1.5scoops Casien & 15g BCAAs & 1tbsp Metamucil, Skim milk, 1.5 oz almonds

It breaks down to (fitday.com):
Cal Fat Carb Pro
1 701 20 75 58
2 512 6 62 53
3 607 7 54 78
4 555 6 68 58
5 276 4 30 30
6 495 9 28 72
7 622 25 34 68
Total 3768 77 351 417

The pros of this is portability, a decent amount of calories, a good macro breakdown (20F/35C/45P) and keeping fats primarily to the first and last meals, proteins pretty constant and carbs tapered down.

The cons are a lack of whole food and a reliance on shakes. Sodium and mercury content in the large amount of tuna and not getting a real meal in until over an hour after training.

...I'd like to get some other thoughts though. No critisism is too harsh and no praise too great...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Take some NAC, it'll help chelate out some of that mercury/heavy metals. Anyways, if your going to eat fish tuna is relatively low compared to other species.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I didn't think of that. I have so much freaking NAC lying around, I might as well cap some of it...sounds like a good way to offset the mercury.

NicktheBeast

Awards
Hmm......I am a new member on this forum, however, I just wanted to know real quick what your height and weight were.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I forgot to mention, that is a training day diet and non training will take out meal 5...

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
your post w/o shake just has the one scoop of protein? Could you not make the most of that post work out time and add in an extra scoop or some more oats?

by the way you love your oats don't you!

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Oats are amazing...is there a better, more portable source of carbs?

my post workout shake is small only because I plan on eating a real meal within 1-1.5 hours. I don't want to get filled up, but I want to atleast have some protein and carbs post workout.

tattoopierced1

man thats alot of oats... i've been mixing things up lately and throwing in some cream of wheat... i know, i'm crazy ;) they have a slightly higher GI than oats, but its a nice difference in flavor. I think the GI is 66 which is medium.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so are you mixing the oats with the whey? if not what do you use for flavor? Oats are great but i cant eat them plain.

I also think the second or third meal you should switch to a different carb source and maybe throw in a veggie there.

too low on the fats too if you ask me but hey, you look better than me anyway but i think maybe some extra EVOO or fish oils could be subbed in as well. Maybe with the post workouts.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I only take 3g's of fish oil a day. I like low fat diets, as it really helps me stay lean.

why would you switch over the carb source.

The oats in meal 1 and 5 are ground and put into a shake for the drive.

All other oats I add splenda and cinnamon.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I only take 3g's of fish oil a day. I like low fat diets, as it really helps me stay lean.

why would you switch over the carb source.

The oats in meal 1 and 5 are ground and put into a shake for the drive.

All other oats I add splenda and cinnamon.
i see.

i was just thinking you would get more variety that way if you switched it up. it looks fine tho

so your 5th "meal" (shake) is that taken during workout or after cuz i see both are at 5pm.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
good idea...I might have to substitute if they have it at costco/sams club/bj's.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
good idea...I might have to substitute if they have it at costco/sams club/bj's.
i get mine from Sam's. Its alot cheaper than from the grocery store and TONS of protein in them cans! :thumbsup:

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Thanks MD, I'm gonna look into it. Hows the taste?

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks MD, I'm gonna look into it. Hows the taste?
when you first open it, it SMELLS like tuna, but the taste is just fine and you can even eat it at room temp, it really is a lifter's best friend if you can't stomach tuna or need a break from it. I put a bit of tabasco on it and go to town!

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I'll give it a whirl and maybe replace one of the tuna meals with it.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
humm good advice in this thread ill be lurking around to learn help and improve my diet

ps- i blended my first half cup oats the other day then put it in water and heated it up. it clumped up all together and ended up throwing it out. haha so word to wise dont do that.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Why did you heat it up?
cuz you normally heatup oatmeal DUH... haha i was making it in a bowl not in a shaker or something just wanted to see if it would become something like grits or furina

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
cuz you normally heatup oatmeal DUH... haha i was making it in a bowl not in a shaker or something just wanted to see if it would become something like grits or furina
my bad, i misunderstood...haha...

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
humm good advice in this thread ill be lurking around to learn help and improve my diet

ps- i blended my first half cup oats the other day then put it in water and heated it up. it clumped up all together and ended up throwing it out. haha so word to wise dont do that.
Try this.. boil water, blend oats, pour slowly and stir gradually. Should help with the clumping, or you could even mix a bit of room temperature water first and it should come out pretty smooth.

PI - You love your oats as much as I do!! How about some fats - peanuts/almonds to snack on during the day? They're pretty portable. And a few extra pieces of green wouldn't go astray either :thumbsup:

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Try this.. boil water, blend oats, pour slowly and stir gradually. Should help with the clumping, or you could even mix a bit of room temperature water first and it should come out pretty smooth.

PI - You love your oats as much as I do!! How about some fats - peanuts/almonds to snack on during the day? They're pretty portable. And a few extra pieces of green wouldn't go astray either :thumbsup:

I get my fats in the am and before bed...I don't want to bring them much above 20%...

why the greens? i am actually thinking of adding something like greens+, emeralds balance or miracle greens to my morning shake though to get the antioxidant benefits. but thats all.

NicktheBeast

Awards
Pumping Iron, I would suggest switching up the regular just instant oats to steel cut or Irish Oats, and I would definitely increase the amount of green vegetables in your diet. You will be leaner for it. However, I agree with many other posts in this thread about fat content. I'm thinking that you should have more of the Omega 3's in your diet, but definitely not 6 cause as we all should know, high levels of Omega 6 cause inflammation. Also, you should pick up a chelater at your local health food store. Any type of clay like a Bentonite or something like that will help to suck the Mercury right out of your body and into your stool. Also, why are you using more powders than whole foods?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Nick, I hate to be a jerk here but could you go back and read my first post? and also my subsquent posts...everything you jsut stated has been addressed.

NicktheBeast

Awards
no worries, my mistake, im cooking meals for the day so just trying to hop on and do what I can.

Also, if its working then let it ride

IainDaniel

Awards
Why? I'm getting enough fats from the olive oil, almonds and fish oil.

Why more veggies?
You want to get more Omega 3 fatty acids. I didn't see the Fishoil in your original post.

Typical north american diets are abundant in n6 compared to n3.

Why not Veggies? They will help with digestion. Provide excellent antioxidants. Minimum I would think 4 servings of veggies a day. There is a wide array of benefits from veggies. This isn't about just packing down the cals, it is about providing a balanced nutrient intake.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
You want to get more Omega 3 fatty acids. I didn't see the Fishoil in your original post.

Typical north american diets are abundant in n6 compared to n3.

Why not Veggies? They will help with digestion. Provide excellent antioxidants. Minimum I would think 4 servings of veggies a day. There is a wide array of benefits from veggies. This isn't about just packing down the cals, it is about providing a balanced nutrient intake.
True, but having them be portable is the problem in this intance. Macros are jsut about perfect, so don't think this is only about packing down cals...

I'm contemplating on adding a Green+ type of product to my morning shake as well, which has a probiotic element and i take psyllium husk as night (metamucil) which aids in digestion as well...

NicktheBeast

Awards
psyllium will just make you more constipated if you are getting your veggies

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Unless you have a serious love for tuna, which I can say that I don't. You might want to try switching it up with some canned salmon. The nutritional values are about the same as tuna except for an extra gram of fat but I think your diet could handle that and the taste is awesome. Plus if I remember right there was talk earlier about how wild salmon doesn't contain mercury.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure most cold water fish contain some traces of mercury.

I think grabbing canned tuna, crab, salmon, chicken and whatever else they have in that isle of costco would be a good idea. Thanks for the idea.

NicktheBeast

Awards
sorry, I meant if you aren't getting your veggies.

Psyllium is a bulking fiber, soluble, not insoluble, so it creates bulk in the intestines. The veggies is what moves **** through.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
sorry, I meant if you aren't getting your veggies.

Psyllium is a bulking fiber, soluble, not insoluble, so it creates bulk in the intestines. The veggies is what moves **** through.
that makes more sense. :D