Beef liver safe for regular diet?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Call me gross, but if you know how to cook it right, liver and onion's ain't half bad. To me it's a poor man's steak.

Anyhow, I only allow myself to eat it a few times out of the year because of all the cholesterol, etc. in it.

But I was thinking about it yesterday. It's cheap. It's a great source of B vitamins and Iron. It's a good source of quality protein.

So is beef liver really that bad, or could it be something I could eat a few times per week?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I'd keep it to at most once a week because of the cholesteral.

But I love liver and onions myself...great food.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I agree I find it a good source of nutrients and I myself indulge in. I eat it like I do with seafood, only 1 time each week.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I'd keep it to at most once a week because of the cholesteral.
Yeah, I was thinking I'd have it only once or twice per week. It's got a lot of cholesterol, but so do eggs. Since it seems that the cholesterol in eggs doesn't seem to have as harsh effect on lipids as previously thought, it got me wondering about my good friend beef liver.

But I love liver and onions myself...great food
....And you go around saying you're Jersey at heart, but then you make statements like this which make it so OBVIOUS you're from PA.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
....And you go around saying you're Jersey at heart, but then you make statements like this which make it so OBVIOUS you're from PA.
1. I'm moving to Princeton on Saturday.

2. I know and love PORK ROLL...

We'll see how long it takes me to come back. I've been flip flopping between these two states for a few years now.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
i believe its four times as much in a piece of liver to one egg.