So how much fat?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Lets say your on a 3000 calorie diet.

You need 250grams of protein per day. anything more and your pissing nitrogen and converting it to energy or whatever.

From what I have been hearing lately its better to have more close to an even ratio of calories from carbs and fat than people think. So I am thinking:

PCF
260:260:100

Instead of

260:375:50

Which is better for a clean bulk?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
P / C / F
40% 40% 20%

Percentages based on total calories. Stick with this, and you can't go wrong.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
So 40% calories from protein, 40% calories from carbs, and 20% calories from fat?

So a 3000 cal diet would look like:

300:300:65 ?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, but there has been some speculation that a 33/33/33 type diet like the one you mentioned may offer some benefits. You'll just have to experiment around and find which works best for you, just remember that cal deficent equals weight loss regardless of ratio.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
yes, i would say it's good to experiment...i have read to try to find a conclusive answer and it seems that different things work for different people.

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
I'm liking 40/40/20 or 50/35/15

I just try and keep my fat between 60-100g a day...

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Protein is the least likely macro to be stored as fat but it also the least efficient energy source.

Fat is the most likely macro to be stored as fat but is, I believe, the most efficient macro for energy (ie lowest thermogenic effect). Of course is not a high intensity fuel.

I find that I make better strength gains but put on a little more fat when I eat closer to 33/33/33 versus a high protein diet.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Protein is the least likely macro to be stored as fat but it also the least efficient energy source.

Fat is the most likely macro to be stored as fat but is, I believe, the most efficient macro for energy (ie lowest thermogenic effect). Of course is not a high intensity fuel.

I find that I make better strength gains but put on a little more fat when I eat closer to 33/33/33 versus a high protein diet.
So what's you usual ratio?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I aim for 33/33/33 but it usually comes out to 30p/40c/30f by the time I make some adjustments for convenience and preference.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
I am liking to cycle my carbs. I used to cleanbulk for a couple months and really like it. Now I am using the same concepts to cut down.

Focus the majority of carbos around your workouts or workout days. Alternate in low, medium and high carb days.

Example for working out 3 days a week (M-W-F) might be:

Sunday: off, low carb day, 300g potein, 120g carbs, 100g fat. 2,700cals
Monday: weight training, medium carb intake, 255g protein, 275g carbs, and 100g fat, 3,000 cals
Tuesday: off day, low carb
Wed: training, high carb day: 200g protein, 500-600g carbs, 40g fat. 3,400ish calories
Thursday: off, low carb day
Friday: training, medium carb day, weight training, medium carb intake, 250g protein, 275g carbs, and 100g fat, 3,000 cals
Sat: low day, off

1 day @ high carb intake= 3,400 cals
2 days @ medium intake= 3,000 cals x 2= 6,000
4 days @ low carb intake= 2,700 cals x 4= 10,800
2,885 cals a day averaged over the week. I have been using this and really liking it a lot. Tweak it a bit to get the 3,000 cals a day averaged over the week. I also think it is very important to have a higher calorie intake on training days vs non training days. Just think about it...it makes sense...wheather bulking of cutting.