Trouble leaning up

spoofy

Awards
I've been dieting for about a month now and my weight loss has come to a halt. The first 2 weeks I managed to drop around 5lbs and gain some muscle mass. These last 2 weeks my BF% and weight have remained the same. What concerns me is that my calorie intake is well below maintenance and I'm not dropping any weight. Here are the stats

height: 6'3
Weight: 214
Bf%: 19

I train 4 days a week doing the beginners 9 week westside routine. Monday through friday I diet and on saturday and sunday I take it easy. Generally on saturday and sunday we go out for breakfeast and dinner so I only eat twice a day but my meals are high in calories. Mon-Fri my call intake is at 1800

details are at FitDay.com - Diet and Fitness journal for spoofy

I would like to get to 11% or so before bulking up. However I'm not sure what to do at this point. Should I continue my diet? Should I drop cals? Add Cardio?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My guess is that you have dropped your kcals too much, which has sent your body into starvation mode. Add another 200-300 kcals and reassess your progress.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I agree w/ Rodja...starvation mode will shutdown your fatloss.

Shoot for 10 - 12 X BW in Cals. At 214 that would be ~ 2100-2500. And make sure that you are eating 5-7 small meals. 40/40/20 P/C/F is a good place to start for your macros.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I've been dieting for about a month now and my weight loss has come to a halt. The first 2 weeks I managed to drop around 5lbs and gain some muscle mass. These last 2 weeks my BF% and weight have remained the same. What concerns me is that my calorie intake is well below maintenance and I'm not dropping any weight. Here are the stats

height: 6'3
Weight: 214
Bf%: 19

I train 4 days a week doing the beginners 9 week westside routine. Monday through friday I diet and on saturday and sunday I take it easy. Generally on saturday and sunday we go out for breakfeast and dinner so I only eat twice a day but my meals are high in calories. Mon-Fri my call intake is at 1800

details are at FitDay.com - Diet and Fitness journal for spoofy

I would like to get to 11% or so before bulking up. However I'm not sure what to do at this point. Should I continue my diet? Should I drop cals? Add Cardio?
You sound like you're going to be victimized in this system of cruel dieting techniques forever. Starve til you creep to a bodyfat number... and then have a bulkfest and pack on the lost muscle and fat... then repeat the cycle. Try eating sensibly and learning to manage your stressors and fears.

conan1071

Awards
  • Established
Do you mean BW as in total or lean BW

I agree w/ Rodja...starvation mode will shutdown your fatloss.

Shoot for 10 - 12 X BW in Cals. At 214 that would be ~ 2100-2500. And make sure that you are eating 5-7 small meals. 40/40/20 P/C/F is a good place to start for your macros.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Scrat

Awards
Increase your calories a bit like Rodja said and I also agree with thewilman. Maybe I misunderstood your original post but continue to eat on the weekends as you would during the week. Only eating 2 meals per day on Saturday and Sunday will force your body to go into "survival" mode storing the majority if your caloric intake in fat tissue.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Do you mean BW as in total or lean BW
Total BW...much lower than 10 X TBW will shut down your metabolism. This is just a guideline (YMMV) until you understand your body/metabolism:

10 - 12 x TBW - Cutting
12 - 15 x TBW - Maintenance
15 - 18 x TBW - Bulk

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, I looked at your entry for 6/17. WAAAY too low.

'Healthy' weightloss is considered 1-2lbs every 2 weeks (this will tend to be higher if you are at an unhealthy weight). Since 1lbs of fat equates to about 3500 kcal, that would mean that you would only need a deficit of 250cal each day.

Another thing that I wish Fit Day featured is calorie timing. I used to analyze diets for overweight people at my church for a while, and during that time I found that the majority of them were getting over half of their daily intake at one meal (dinner), which is at the end of the day when you're not gonna do anything except watch reruns of Seinfeld and go to bed. I don't know how you have your diet timed out, but this is an important and often overlooked aspect that should be addressed especially when the goal is losing weight.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I looked at your entry for 6/17. WAAAY too low.

'Healthy' weightloss is considered 1-2lbs every 2 weeks (this will tend to be higher if you are at an unhealthy weight). Since 1lbs of fat equates to about 3500 kcal, that would mean that you would only need a deficit of 250cal each day.

Another thing that I wish Fit Day featured is calorie timing. I used to analyze diets for overweight people at my church for a while, and during that time I found that the majority of them were getting over half of their daily intake at one meal (dinner), which is at the end of the day when you're not gonna do anything except watch reruns of Seinfeld and go to bed. I don't know how you have your diet timed out, but this is an important and often overlooked aspect that should be addressed especially when the goal is losing weight.
Calorie timing. Bingo. I guess some people just don't get it. I also hear of people skimping out on their calories post workout. Big no-no.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Adding HIIT cardio is also a good idea to help with fat loss along with a refeed every 5-7 days for metabolic confusion and sanity. This may sound very contradictory, but if there is a particular food that you love, then you should not have to give it up. I get the impression that you are going for a lifestyle change as opposed to just cutting, so I say to remember to live a little. Don't beat yourself up if you have a cheeseburger or pizza; we're all human. When I first started cutting down from 210, I knew that it was not going to be a 8-10 week adventure, so I kept thinking about the big picture. I allowed myself 2-3 cheat meals a week, but I made the portions smaller and made sure to never miss a training session. It took some time and a lot of work, but I was able to get down to 180 and I am currently trying to move down to 165.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I love HIIT cardio and HIT resistance training. Both work well for jacking up your metabolic rate for extended periods of time.

Learning to live and not regret is very important for your success. I eat at restaurants (decent to upscale ones) all the time since I moved to LA and I see no big issue in eating meals that are like 'almond crusted halibut' or 'salmon egg roe sushi' or whatnot... and desert once in a while after dinner won't kill you.

I ordered Cheaters by BSN for an occasion of a 'buffet' or something to that effect. I'll vouch for this product that it totally works!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love HIIT cardio and HIT resistance training. Both work well for jacking up your metabolic rate for extended periods of time.

Learning to live and not regret is very important for your success. I eat at restaurants (decent to upscale ones) all the time since I moved to LA and I see no big issue in eating meals that are like 'almond crusted halibut' or 'salmon egg roe sushi' or whatnot... and desert once in a while after dinner won't kill you.

I ordered Cheaters by BSN for an occasion of a 'buffet' or something to that effect. I'll vouch for this product that it totally works!
That is another reason I love SesaThin-it is great for damage control.

spoofy

Awards
Adding HIIT cardio is also a good idea to help with fat loss along with a refeed every 5-7 days for metabolic confusion and sanity. This may sound very contradictory, but if there is a particular food that you love, then you should not have to give it up. I get the impression that you are going for a lifestyle change as opposed to just cutting, so I say to remember to live a little. Don't beat yourself up if you have a cheeseburger or pizza; we're all human. When I first started cutting down from 210, I knew that it was not going to be a 8-10 week adventure, so I kept thinking about the big picture. I allowed myself 2-3 cheat meals a week, but I made the portions smaller and made sure to never miss a training session. It took some time and a lot of work, but I was able to get down to 180 and I am currently trying to move down to 165.

That is shorta how i do my weekends. Eating twice a day isn't by design .its just sorta how things work out. my gf and I are foodies so for dinner we tend to eat at some of the best places in town and do 4-6 course meals. So I guess you could say the weekend is my cheat time...it allows me to stick to my diet during the week days. Increasing meal frequency then definitely wont be a problem.

spoofy

Awards
Here is what i worked out for next week.

I went to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
and got my numbers..here they are..

RESULTS - GUIDELINE ONLY
Maintenance: 3200 Calories/day
Fat Loss: 2560 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss: 1920 Calories/day

So here is what I worked out in terms of diet for mon-fri

7am 100% whey Shake + oatmeal
11am muscle milk in water
1200 workout
130 Post Workout meal Subway + Carbo Gain (maltodextrin)
7pm Chicken Breast + broccoli
10pm 100%Whey in soy milk

5 meals that give me 40/41/19 according to fitday

Totals cals 2617
Fat 53
Carb 273
Protein 259

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This looks pretty good. Remember 1-2 pounds every 2 weeks is optimal for fatloss once you've gotten well into your weightloss program.

Make sure you're weighing yourself on the same scale at the same time of day on the same day of the week wearing the same clothes, etc. etc. etc. The more variables you allow to show, the more depressing your weightloss program will be.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
That is another reason I love SesaThin-it is great for damage control.
Maybe I could keep some Sesathin around to add to the Cheaters? I wonder if the fat-binding compound in Cheaters would render the sesame oil lignans inactive. Hmmm...

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established

RESULTS - GUIDELINE ONLY

1200 workout

Totals cals 2617
Fat 53
Carb 273
Protein 259
I'm curious as to why you'd use a Subway sandwich for post-workout? Subway sandwiches taste good, but are mostly bread, fixens, and lots and lots of sodium with very little bioavailable protein, regardless of what their website claims that they have. Even at that.... I dunno. Up to you man ;)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe I could keep some Sesathin around to add to the Cheaters? I wonder if the fat-binding compound in Cheaters would render the sesame oil lignans inactive. Hmmm...
Take sesamin at a different time of day, preferably not around the time of your cheat meal. Sesamin increases the rate in which stored bodyfat is released into the bloodstream. These fats are then used for energy. Hence, it's fatburning effects.

If used before a cheat meal, you're going to be saturating your bloodstream with food calories anyhow. I would recommend taking sesamin with a light meal or before bed.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys have convinced me to try sesithin.

spoofy

Awards
I'm curious as to why you'd use a Subway sandwich for post-workout? Subway sandwiches taste good, but are mostly bread, fixens, and lots and lots of sodium with very little bioavailable protein, regardless of what their website claims that they have. Even at that.... I dunno. Up to you man ;)
i workout during my lunch break at work. Subway is the only fast food that i can think of that is low in fat with a decent amount of protein and carbs. I get the roasted chicken breast sandwitch which has 46 grams of protein from chicken..the carbs come from veggies and wheat bread.. figured it wouldn't be too bad.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i workout during my lunch break at work. Subway is the only fast food that i can think of that is low in fat with a decent amount of protein and carbs. I get the roasted chicken breast sandwitch which has 46 grams of protein from chicken..the carbs come from veggies and wheat bread.. figured it wouldn't be too bad.
Brown bags get results!

thewrx

Awards
why dont you bring your own lunch, you lazy or something

conan1071

Awards
  • Established
get rid of the soy, it will lower your thyroid

RESULTS - GUIDELINE ONLY

1200 workout

Totals cals 2617
Fat 53
Carb 273
Protein 259

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

RESULTS - GUIDELINE ONLY

1200 workout

Totals cals 2617
Fat 53
Carb 273
Protein 259
IMO you need more whole foods, with the exception of the subway sandwich which as Forces mentioned isnt all that great (and I agree you should ditch and save for a cheat meal) you have 1 chicken breast, 1 serving of oatmeal and broccoli and thats it....like the other guys have said in their posts 5-7 meals but I personally wouldn't skip on whole foods, and I am by no means saying to abandon whey, cause its a staple in my diet as well..also why do you not eat again for 5 1/2 hrs after you pwo meal? you need to keep that metabolism going and eat close to every 3 hours....why not try something like this...

7am 8 scrabbled /hardboiled eggs(whites & 1 yoke) with oatmeal or 4 eggs (whites & 1 yoke), scoop of whey and oatmeal
1030 am- chicken or lean meat with brown rice/broccoli
12-WO
130- PWO 2 scoops whey and oatmeal...
430-chicken breast & brown rice ,broccoli
730-lean mean/veggies or cottage cheese/fresh fruit
10pm-muscle milk in water or fat free milk

obviously you would need to adjust based on you daily needed macro's to lose weight but you get the picture...dont skip on whole foods and eat more frequently to keep the metab going...hope this helps

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
all it takes is when you make dinner, make more extra chicken breasts, veggies, rice, etc for the following day and bring it to work in tubber ware

spoofy

Awards
Update:

Started new diet after 1 week I've noticed a 1.5% drop in bodyfat with 1lb weight gain.

seems to work :)