Poll: Best macronutrient split for LEAN MASS/BODYBUILDING?

Best macronutrient split for LEAN MASS/ BODYBUILDING

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  187 lbs.

40/40/20 for me.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    well, like someone else said earlier in the thread, you assign a minimum for protein, a minimum for healthy fats and where the calories come from after that isn't really important. The idea that a certain % macro distribution is important is silly.

I'm not sure why you think you couldn't stay lean at 400g carbs though, I know plenty of people that do. if you are one of the 6-8 meals a day people, thats 50-65g per meai, which isn't much and easily comes from low GI sources.
    I'd be interested to hear a bit more about this method. I've never done it this way before, I always have assigned percentages, it makes my diet feel a bit more structured to me.

But what your saying, for instance, is if I was on a 4500cal a day diet, at 205lbs, to assign a minimum number to protein that's sufficient for muscle growth, which is what, 300? Then a minimum number for fat, which I'm really not sure how you would decide on a minimum number, typically fat intake is directly related to carb intake, at least in all the diets I've ever done. If your carbs are high, you can lower your fat, however if your carbs are low, you need to increase your fat. How would one assign a minimum number to fat?

But just hypothetically speaking let's set fat at 125g a day. That's about 1400 cals between both fat and protein, then I could take in 3100 cals all from carbs equaling about 775g of carbs? And I would stay just as lean on that as if I followed a 40/30/30 split of 4500 cals where protein was all the way up to 450g, but carbs were only about 330g instead?
  3. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    I'd be interested to hear a bit more about this method. I've never done it this way before, I always have assigned percentages, it makes my diet feel a bit more structured to me.

But what your saying, for instance, is if I was on a 4500cal a day diet, at 205lbs, to assign a minimum number to protein that's sufficient for muscle growth, which is what, 300? Then a minimum number for fat, which I'm really not sure how you would decide on a minimum number, typically fat intake is directly related to carb intake, at least in all the diets I've ever done. If your carbs are high, you can lower your fat, however if your carbs are low, you need to increase your fat. How would one assign a minimum number to fat?

But just hypothetically speaking let's set fat at 125g a day. That's about 1400 cals between both fat and protein, then I could take in 3100 cals all from carbs equaling about 775g of carbs? And I would stay just as lean on that as if I followed a 40/30/30 split of 4500 cals where protein was all the way up to 450g, but carbs were only about 330g instead?
    I'd shoot for assuming you are in the 10-15% bf range 200 base grams of protein, and at 4500 calories a day assuming primarily healthy fats a min of 125g to be approx 25% of calories. Those are the basic thresholds for healthy living, and the ability as a natural bodybuilder to add around 1/4lb of muscle a week.

Making sure the protein is split in meals, and the fat too as much as possible. So long as the carbs were whole food carbs, and eaten with the meals (not inbetween) getting the remaining calories from carbs vs a split of carbs / protein / fats shouldn't make a huge difference in leanness. It might make a difference in water retention or bloating which may make you look less lean, but assuming no insulin issues you shouldn't accumulate more fat that way than a 40/30/30.

Its mostly that more protein above that is a convenience/taste issue more than a needs issue, and same with fats really. I personally find it easier to consume more calories a day if more are from carbs, even fiber heavy carbs. Not necessarily true for everyone though.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I'd shoot for assuming you are in the 10-15% bf range 200 base grams of protein, and at 4500 calories a day assuming primarily healthy fats a min of 125g to be approx 25% of calories. Those are the basic thresholds for healthy living, and the ability as a natural bodybuilder to add around 1/4lb of muscle a week.

Making sure the protein is split in meals, and the fat too as much as possible. So long as the carbs were whole food carbs, and eaten with the meals (not inbetween) getting the remaining calories from carbs vs a split of carbs / protein / fats shouldn't make a huge difference in leanness. It might make a difference in water retention or bloating which may make you look less lean, but assuming no insulin issues you shouldn't accumulate more fat that way than a 40/30/30.

Its mostly that more protein above that is a convenience/taste issue more than a needs issue, and same with fats really. I personally find it easier to consume more calories a day if more are from carbs, even fiber heavy carbs. Not necessarily true for everyone though.
    I like your insight. I might have to ponder some of it and think about trying it for a little bit.

The more I think about it the more I would be inclined to do something similar to that, but instead of picking a base number for protein and fats, I would do the opposite, and put a threshold on how many carbs I find is adequate, basically enough to make you feel recovered and not dragging your butt throughout the day. Once you find a base level of carbs you feel good on, then fill the the rest with protein/fat.

400g really for me of carbs is enough to give me energy throughout the whole day, when I drop it down with how active I am I start dragging, I'll start looking for the closest parking spots at the grocery store cuz I don't feel like walking, haha.
  5. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Its definitely a bit individual, some people can't deal with being under 200g at all, some people could care less about total carbs. personally I like getting at least 125g or so in, but don't have a problem over that either.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  6. Registered User

I would say 33/33/33 is probably closest to me.
  7. Registered User

Bumping this back from the dead lol. Want to hear more input. Any new research out there on this topic?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW2 View Post
    Bumping this back from the dead lol. Want to hear more input. Any new research out there on this topic?
    yeah, eating an over abundance of carbs will give ppl health issues later in life. Half of america doesnt lie
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.

For me it's....

50f/25p/25c

I'm just not a fan of super carb-y things.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by broda View Post
    For me it's....

50f/25p/25c

I'm just not a fan of super carb-y things.
    What differences have you noticed with this diet compared to a higer carbs one?
    just curious because I eat similar like you do
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best Supplement or Stack for Lean Mass
    By Dynasty90 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
  3. Need workout for lean mass
    By Digphelps in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1