Best macronutrient split for LEAN MASS/ BODYBUILDING

Best macronutrient split for LEAN MASS/BODYBUILDING?

• 40/40/20

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • 30/50/20

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • 40/50/10

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 33/33/33

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters
beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
in your opinion, which is the best split? i added the middle two just so that there'd be more of a selection, but it's really a choice between 40/40/20 and 33/33/33 IMO. From what I've heard from others, the latter is supposedly ideal for bodybuilding and encouraging lean mass, but I haven't heard anything of this theory myself. I'm not interested in bulking persay. Simply acquiring totally lean, pure mass gains. What do you think?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Well it really depends...lean mass diet and bodybuilding diets are not the same.

Also, different people put this ratios in different orders, so what exactly did you mean?

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
Well it really depends...lean mass diet and bodybuilding diets are not the same.

Also, different people put this ratios in different orders, so what exactly did you mean?
I guess my question was more concerned with finding a hybrid between the two? I know that being a bodybuilder requres a constant changing diet of different portions, since there are so many goals and aspects of the sport.

But as a bodybuilder, if you weren't interested in heavy mass bulking at the moment and wanted to lean out gradually, while maintaining muscle mass and STILL gaining lean mass, which macronutrient split would be ideal for accomplishing that?

33/33/33 seems interesting. cept where's the other 1 %? haha

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I guess my question was more concerned with finding a hybrid between the two? I know that being a bodybuilder requres a constant changing diet of different portions, since there are so many goals and aspects of the sport.

But as a bodybuilder, if you weren't interested in heavy mass bulking at the moment and wanted to lean out gradually, while maintaining muscle mass and STILL gaining lean mass, which macronutrient split would be ideal for accomplishing that?

33/33/33 seems interesting. cept where's the other 1 %? haha

No, I think he meant different people put the order of those percentages differently.

For instance a 40/40/20 split to one person might be protein/carbs/fat. While to another person it might be protein/fat/carbs.

Big difference.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I meant both.

But thanks for the clarification.

I personally use 50P/35C/15F and see decent gains while keeping lean.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
No, I think he meant different people put the order of those percentages differently.

For instance a 40/40/20 split to one person might be protein/carbs/fat. While to another person it might be protein/fat/carbs.

Big difference.
Ohhhh. yeah alright. i know, that's a huge difference. i should have clarified the order in the beginning.

i always assume a protein/ carb/ fat split. i guess different people have different interpretations of that, but for the purposes of this discussion that was the order I was inferring.

but this opens up some good discussion, since by that logic there are countless different splits you can have.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I meant both.

that sounds pretty reasonable. i usually stick with 40/40/20 myself, but were I to work on cutting and gaining lean mass that's a split i might wanna try.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I see people say 40/40/20 which I am usually at about that.

But then I see people say that 500 grams of protein is WAY too much. Well if you need 5000 cals a day how you going to do the 40/40/20?

CROWLER

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I meant both.

I agree, For myself to stay real lean I have to eat at about this split to put on lean mass or when dieting.

I bulk w/ a 40/40/20 to kinda stay lean, only adding maybe a 1/2" to my waist and .5 or 1% BF over about 6-8 weeks.

For an all out bulk (winter time when i never take my shirt off) I follow about a 30/50/20 split

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I pray for the day where 33/34/33 becomes the way to go. :food:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
For cutting I like 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat
Bulking/Recomp I like 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat

mcneely011

Awards
I don't really like using percentages. I'll quasi quote something from alan aragon's book. He suggests assigning fairly constant numbers for protein and fat (atleast 1 gram of protein per pound of target body weight and .4-.5 grams of fat per pound of tar. bdy. weight). Then however many calories you are trying to consume after that, you fill with carbs. So basically, what you are trying to do body composition wise determines how many carbs you eat; this makes the most sense to me.

mbj0186

Awards
One should never go below 40% carbohydrates to lose bodyfat. A certain amount of carbohydrate is needed in the diet to effectively burn fat as fuel. Carbohydrates are the "primer" for igniting the fat burning process.

I like 40/30/30 (C,P,F) split. If your cutting carbs you will need fat in your diet to keep your calories up and prevent muscle wasting.

vgenest66

Awards
In my opinion, there's no evidence that one should not get below 40% carbohydrates. The choice of your macronutrient ratio depends on your body's ability to handle carbohydrates. Some people react extremely well to low carb diets, ( Think about the anabolic diet, worked great for a lot of people) and some other people just cannot stand those diets.

I honestly think that there is no such "perfect" ratio that would fit everyone. It's up to one to experiment and find the ratio that fits with his/her body.

I use a 33/33/33 ratio for workout days and I lower the carbohydrates on non-trainning days.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
i think splits should be goal-oriented. if you're bulking, you're most likely going to opt for a split that loads up on carbs and healthy fats, while maintaining a high protein intake. if you're eating simply to maintain and accrue lean mass, 40/40/20 is probably your best bet. likewise, 50/35/15 or something along those lines is ideal for cutting.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I like 40/40/20 personally.

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
I tend to go a little lower carb... So MINE looks more like 50/30/20... or maybe 50/35/15.....

I know i know... i'm crazy... i just HATE those DAMN love handles and have worked WAY to hard to get rid of them! LOL I won't put on QUITE as much gains quite as quickly.. but it seems to put on about 4lbs a month of LEAN SOLID mass if i am dedicated to it...

ALSO... if i am on a ProHormone cyce or something... i will up the carbs a little more... BUt thats about the only time..

BeastMode

BeastMode

Awards
I would have to say that there is no magic ratio for putting on lean mass, as every individuals metabolism and hormones are different and react differently to what they eat. however, there are certain ratios that promote fat loss, lean gains, etc. It is up to each individual to attempt to find what is right for them by tracking their body's reaction to the foods that are being eaten, ie energy levels, fat gains, lbm gains. For instance, you will find no definitive solution for yourself through this thread. You will have to try out 40/40/20 macros, 45/35/20 macros, etc. The only way you will find out is by listening to what the body tells you.

with that being said I gain real well with an approx. 45P/35C/20F

mbj0186

Awards
In my opinion, there's no evidence that one should not get below 40% carbohydrates. The choice of your macronutrient ratio depends on your body's ability to handle carbohydrates. Some people react extremely well to low carb diets, ( Think about the anabolic diet, worked great for a lot of people) and some other people just cannot stand those diets.

I honestly think that there is no such "perfect" ratio that would fit everyone. It's up to one to experiment and find the ratio that fits with his/her body.

I use a 33/33/33 ratio for workout days and I lower the carbohydrates on non-trainning days.
Actually...there is quite a bit of evidence supporting the fact that going below 40% CHO's for prolonged periods can be detrimental to health. Not only from lack of essential nutrients often contained within CHO sources, but also from high amounts of overall and saturated fats. The problem with the evidence is that no LONG TERM studies have been conducted on the risks associated with high protein, high fat diets. However, research conducted on diets moderate to high in CHO's has shown increased health benefits when combined with exercise and an overall healthy lifestyle. Adoption of macronutrient ratios should not be used soley as a means to changing physical appearance. It should also be considered when thinking about long term health implications. Maintaining a low CHO intake means increasing protein and fat to maintain adequate intake. Excessive protein and fat intake can and will eventually lead to health problems if maintained, especially if your genetically pre-disposed.

In my opinion, low CHO diets are for people who want to alter body composition with minimal effort.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
my diet today consists of alternating between a high carb, low carb split. in conjunction with a three day DC program, higher carbs on training days, low carbs (max = 1 g per lb) on off days w cardio. so far i've found this type of diet split to be effective. i'm leaning out and making gains simultaneously. to be practical, i think it's a waste of energy to count calories and follow EXACT macro splits. to have a macro split, you need to know your ideal caloric range and go from there, but it's better just to go by feel with every meal and go by what you see in the mirror from day to day I think. as an example, if you're looking to do a lean bulk per se, don't go overboard with the carbs at each meal. i'd say eat anywhere between 20 and 60, always keep the protein high, or alternate between low carb/ high fat meals and high carb meals.

case in point, progress is very feasible without the added stress of dieting to a T and counting every calorie

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
In theory, protein is the macro that is least likely to be stored as fat, followed by carbohydrate. Fat is the macro that is most likely to be stored as fat. Conversion requires energy and the body does not like to waste it. Consequently a lean mass macro combination will be high in protein, moderate in carbs, and low in fat.

The downside is that protein is an inefficient energy source. Strength and total muscle gains are usually better with a more balanced ratio.

As always, this argument is only valid for comparable calorie intakes.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
In theory, protein is the macro that is least likely to be stored as fat, followed by carbohydrate. Fat is the macro that is most likely to be stored as fat. Conversion requires energy and the body does not like to waste it. Consequently a lean mass macro combination will be high in protein, moderate in carbs, and low in fat.

The downside is that protein is an inefficient energy source. Strength and total muscle gains are usually better with a more balanced ratio.

As always, this argument is only valid for comparable calorie intakes.
agreed. i've again tweaked my diet since my last post here. i guess you could say i'm still carb cycling... somewhat, but my diet doesn't exactly follow a particular plan per se. like any diet meant to encourage lean mass, my diet's relatively high in protein (1.5 times lean body mass, which is about 170ish). So I take in about 260 grams of protein per day, with about 220 or so grams of carbs on training days and around 70 grams of fat. on non-training/ cardio days, i try to limit carbs to around 150 grams while keeping fats and protein static. i also keep my carbs to morning/ afternoon to fill my glycogen stores and have replaced evening carbs w veggies. so far i've lost 15 lbs and my size hasn't deflated by much haha. grant it, there's been some loss of size but I consider this a necessary evil for toning up the midsection.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
agreed. i've again tweaked my diet since my last post here. i guess you could say i'm still carb cycling... somewhat, but my diet doesn't exactly follow a particular plan per se. like any diet meant to encourage lean mass, my diet's relatively high in protein (1.5 times lean body mass, which is about 170ish). So I take in about 260 grams of protein per day, with about 220 or so grams of carbs on training days and around 70 grams of fat. on non-training/ cardio days, i try to limit carbs to around 150 grams while keeping fats and protein static. i also keep my carbs to morning/ afternoon to fill my glycogen stores and have replaced evening carbs w veggies. so far i've lost 15 lbs and my size hasn't deflated by much haha. grant it, there's been some loss of size but I consider this a necessary evil for toning up the midsection.
I know for my self when cutting I don't need to lower my carbs much at all. I still keep a 40/40/20 split. As mentioned already using protein as your main energy source is not just inefficient but expensive.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I know for my self when cutting I don't need to lower my carbs much at all. I still keep a 40/40/20 split. As mentioned already using protein as your main energy source is not just inefficient but expensive.
yeah this is true. i've found that if i go super low carb i feel fatigued and flat... not good. for a true recomp i'm a proponent of dieting down slowly over time to preserve as much muscle mass as possible, while slowly burning fat if not encouraging lean mass gains. it's important to figure out your ideal macro range for maintenance, however, before beginning such a diet. this way you have an optimal starting point and can make adjustments from that baseline.

for the longest time, my problem was that i was having way too much of every macro. not necessarily bad for bulking purposes, but otherwise not for looking good lol. my protein count was 1.5 times my total body weight, fat included, and my carbs were upwards of 400 g per day. fats i didn't even count. needless to say, since i re-calculated and lowered everything, i've very much liked the results.

beallio

beallio

Awards
For all the fat haters please post sources...

My diet consists of 35P/5C/60F

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
I like 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.
is that zone diet. i saw it and started doing something similar, 40%protein, 30%carb, 30%fat, i didn't like the carbs being higher than my protein

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
is that zone diet. i saw it and started doing something similar, 40%protein, 30%carb, 30%fat, i didn't like the carbs being higher than my protein
It might be the zone diet. I used to use 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat, and have recently lowered carbs for more fats. I do well with high carbs.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
question about calories, im at about 2450 calories per day, and still can't lose stubborn weight around lower love handle area, should i go lower? im doing 40/30/30 but the thing is i see lots of guys on here bulking on 4k calories and cutting around 2600, and if i did that i would never lose weight, but then again looking at those figures i get scared to cut my calories and don't want to lose muscle mass.

5'11
199 - 203 lbs

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
question about calories, im at about 2450 calories per day, and still can't lose stubborn weight around lower love handle area, should i go lower? im doing 40/30/30 but the thing is i see lots of guys on here bulking on 4k calories and cutting around 2600, and if i did that i would never lose weight, but then again looking at those figures i get scared to cut my calories and don't want to lose muscle mass.

5'11
199 - 203 lbs
You need to cut based on your body. An ectomorph can cut using higher calories as their BMRs are faster. I suggest dropping the calories to 10x bodyweight, ie. 2000 cals per day. Have a refeed day (higher carbs) at least once a week. I suggest adding 500 cals extra in carbs on that day.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
You need to cut based on your body. An ectomorph can cut using higher calories as their BMRs are faster. I suggest dropping the calories to 10x bodyweight, ie. 2000 cals per day. Have a refeed day (higher carbs) at least once a week. I suggest adding 500 cals extra in carbs on that day.
thanks,

one more question regarding cardio, as mentioned before i want to avoid losing muscle mass, so i've been doing slow paced cardio 2 times a week, which supposedly best for losing fat and not muscle mass. is a pace of 3.5 on a treadmill from 35-45min sound about right?

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
thanks,

one more question regarding cardio, as mentioned before i want to avoid losing muscle mass, so i've been doing slow paced cardio 2 times a week, which supposedly best for losing fat and not muscle mass. is a pace of 3.5 on a treadmill from 35-45min sound about right?
Doing high intensity cardio won't make you lose muscle. People usually lose muscle when doing way too much cardio overall - eg. 1 hour per day running or more.

HIIT (high intensity interval training) actually raises your BMR for the next 24 hours, so the net benefit is higher than the slower cardio. This is why I usually suggest 2 sessions of 20 min HIIT + 1-2 longer slower sessions (assuming no health problems prevent the HIIT) weekly.

I wouldn't worry about losing muscle as long as you don't do fasted cardio.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established

5'11
199 - 203 lbs
I would up the cardio and keep eating the same thing. Lowering cals may do nothing as your metabolism burns less.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
I would up the cardio and keep eating the same thing. Lowering cals may do nothing as your metabolism burns less.
true, i have however set my daily calorie intake at 2300, with a 45/30/25 p/c/f ratio, i do however take either two scoops or one scoop of a protein a shake if i workout or do cardio so my calorie intake maybe closer to 2450 on those days.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I see people say 40/40/20 which I am usually at about that.

But then I see people say that 500 grams of protein is WAY too much. Well if you need 5000 cals a day how you going to do the 40/40/20?

CROWLER
See I wonder the same exact thing.

And by the same token, if you require 4500-5000 cals a day and want to do a 40/40/20 split, how in the hell are you going to stay lean taking in 450-500g of carbs a day, no f'ing way.

I should note that I'm assuming people usually put a 40/40/20 split in the form of protein/carbs/fat when talking about adding lean muscle. Thus the question, how are you going to stay lean on 450-500g of carbs a day, lol.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, like someone else said earlier in the thread, you assign a minimum for protein, a minimum for healthy fats and where the calories come from after that isn't really important. The idea that a certain % macro distribution is important is silly.

I'm not sure why you think you couldn't stay lean at 400g carbs though, I know plenty of people that do. if you are one of the 6-8 meals a day people, thats 50-65g per meai, which isn't much and easily comes from low GI sources.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
well, like someone else said earlier in the thread, you assign a minimum for protein, a minimum for healthy fats and where the calories come from after that isn't really important. The idea that a certain % macro distribution is important is silly.

I'm not sure why you think you couldn't stay lean at 400g carbs though, I know plenty of people that do. if you are one of the 6-8 meals a day people, thats 50-65g per meai, which isn't much and easily comes from low GI sources.

yah, I eat 7, but I really don't think I could stay lean on over 400g of carbs, no matter where they are coming from.

you know what, now that I think about it, why isn't 40/30/30 an option on this poll?

edit: I actually took my carbs up to 35-40 percent for two days and I blew up like a mofo, my gut looked like I was pregnant. Maybe just an adjustment period for a larger daily carb intake? Or I just really don't agree with carbs, lol.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Hold on...

Is this Fat / Protein / Carb?

Or what? Cause I chose 40/40/20 with that premise :lol:

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established

I'd be interested to hear a bit more about this method. I've never done it this way before, I always have assigned percentages, it makes my diet feel a bit more structured to me.

But what your saying, for instance, is if I was on a 4500cal a day diet, at 205lbs, to assign a minimum number to protein that's sufficient for muscle growth, which is what, 300? Then a minimum number for fat, which I'm really not sure how you would decide on a minimum number, typically fat intake is directly related to carb intake, at least in all the diets I've ever done. If your carbs are high, you can lower your fat, however if your carbs are low, you need to increase your fat. How would one assign a minimum number to fat?

But just hypothetically speaking let's set fat at 125g a day. That's about 1400 cals between both fat and protein, then I could take in 3100 cals all from carbs equaling about 775g of carbs? And I would stay just as lean on that as if I followed a 40/30/30 split of 4500 cals where protein was all the way up to 450g, but carbs were only about 330g instead?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd be interested to hear a bit more about this method. I've never done it this way before, I always have assigned percentages, it makes my diet feel a bit more structured to me.

But what your saying, for instance, is if I was on a 4500cal a day diet, at 205lbs, to assign a minimum number to protein that's sufficient for muscle growth, which is what, 300? Then a minimum number for fat, which I'm really not sure how you would decide on a minimum number, typically fat intake is directly related to carb intake, at least in all the diets I've ever done. If your carbs are high, you can lower your fat, however if your carbs are low, you need to increase your fat. How would one assign a minimum number to fat?

But just hypothetically speaking let's set fat at 125g a day. That's about 1400 cals between both fat and protein, then I could take in 3100 cals all from carbs equaling about 775g of carbs? And I would stay just as lean on that as if I followed a 40/30/30 split of 4500 cals where protein was all the way up to 450g, but carbs were only about 330g instead?
I'd shoot for assuming you are in the 10-15% bf range 200 base grams of protein, and at 4500 calories a day assuming primarily healthy fats a min of 125g to be approx 25% of calories. Those are the basic thresholds for healthy living, and the ability as a natural bodybuilder to add around 1/4lb of muscle a week.

Making sure the protein is split in meals, and the fat too as much as possible. So long as the carbs were whole food carbs, and eaten with the meals (not inbetween) getting the remaining calories from carbs vs a split of carbs / protein / fats shouldn't make a huge difference in leanness. It might make a difference in water retention or bloating which may make you look less lean, but assuming no insulin issues you shouldn't accumulate more fat that way than a 40/30/30.

Its mostly that more protein above that is a convenience/taste issue more than a needs issue, and same with fats really. I personally find it easier to consume more calories a day if more are from carbs, even fiber heavy carbs. Not necessarily true for everyone though.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I'd shoot for assuming you are in the 10-15% bf range 200 base grams of protein, and at 4500 calories a day assuming primarily healthy fats a min of 125g to be approx 25% of calories. Those are the basic thresholds for healthy living, and the ability as a natural bodybuilder to add around 1/4lb of muscle a week.

Making sure the protein is split in meals, and the fat too as much as possible. So long as the carbs were whole food carbs, and eaten with the meals (not inbetween) getting the remaining calories from carbs vs a split of carbs / protein / fats shouldn't make a huge difference in leanness. It might make a difference in water retention or bloating which may make you look less lean, but assuming no insulin issues you shouldn't accumulate more fat that way than a 40/30/30.

Its mostly that more protein above that is a convenience/taste issue more than a needs issue, and same with fats really. I personally find it easier to consume more calories a day if more are from carbs, even fiber heavy carbs. Not necessarily true for everyone though.
I like your insight. I might have to ponder some of it and think about trying it for a little bit.

The more I think about it the more I would be inclined to do something similar to that, but instead of picking a base number for protein and fats, I would do the opposite, and put a threshold on how many carbs I find is adequate, basically enough to make you feel recovered and not dragging your butt throughout the day. Once you find a base level of carbs you feel good on, then fill the the rest with protein/fat.

400g really for me of carbs is enough to give me energy throughout the whole day, when I drop it down with how active I am I start dragging, I'll start looking for the closest parking spots at the grocery store cuz I don't feel like walking, haha.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its definitely a bit individual, some people can't deal with being under 200g at all, some people could care less about total carbs. personally I like getting at least 125g or so in, but don't have a problem over that either.

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
Bumping this back from the dead lol. Want to hear more input. Any new research out there on this topic?

vassille

Awards
Bumping this back from the dead lol. Want to hear more input. Any new research out there on this topic?
yeah, eating an over abundance of carbs will give ppl health issues later in life. Half of america doesnt lie;)

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
For me it's....

50f/25p/25c

I'm just not a fan of super carb-y things.

vassille

Awards
For me it's....

50f/25p/25c

I'm just not a fan of super carb-y things.
What differences have you noticed with this diet compared to a higer carbs one?
just curious because I eat similar like you do