How many grams of fat per day?

Jegs66

Awards
ok so obviously im very new to training and i need to know how many grams of fat i should be consuming each day?im 140 lbs.
for protein i was told 1.5 - 2.0 x my weight. which would mean 210 grams - 280 grams of protein a day. carbs is suppsoivly 3 - 4 x my weight. which is 420 grams - 560 grams of carbs a day. does this sound right to u guys?

Jegs66

Awards
oh. not sure if this matters but im 17, 140 lbs, 5'9 with a thin build

Jegs66

Awards
oh sorry 1 more thing lol. is there any certain amount of calories that should be taken daily or does it not matter?

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
The carbs seem to be high. If you try to eat that much in carbs and protein alone, it will get you to around 2800 calories. For your weight, that amount of carbs might be too much. I'd try something like 225g protein from complete sources (meat, eggs, fish, dairy, tofu). Then 300g from carbs and 80g of fat. That gets you 2740 calories, which should be good for making some progress at a weight of 140 pounds. If you can't make progress, start increasing the amount of everything in the same general proportions.

The daily calories does matter, but it can be difficult to estimate exactly how much would be optimum for yourself. You can find some online websites to help you figure out how much energy you expend in just a rested state (basal metabolic rate) and also to help you estimate how much you use during the daily activities. In order for you to progress in your training, you need to be taking in a sufficient amount of calories to slightly exceed what you expend from your base metabolism and everyday activities.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
General rule of thumb is bodyweight X 15 for bulking calories, 10 for cutting, 12 for maintence.

Take that total number and divide by the ratio's of the diet your following to get the amount per day.

Ex. 140(wt)x15=2100cals/day

40/40/20 diet(40%protein, 40%carb,20%fat) would be 2100 divided by the percentages....aka 2100X 0.4= 840cals from protein and carbs. To get gram amounts divide that number by 4(amount of calories per gram).

840/4= 210grams/day(carbs and protein)

Fat do the same..... 2100X.2= 420
420/9= 47grams/day(fat)

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
bitterplacebo makes many great points and pretty much sums up what you need to do. However, remember that at age 17, you can probably eat 4000 calories a day and still not gain weight :)

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, at age 17, if you're training a lot, there's much potential to get away with excessive eating.

The 40/40/20 split might be a simple way to portion things if you're just starting out. Some people, like me, are more sensitive to the carbs, so I keep them a little lower to minimize the fat gain. I also tend to respond well to higher fat instead.

Jegs66

Awards
this might sounds stupid but wont eating more fat make you gain more weight? right now im trying to cut because i have a very high bf%. im very thin but have high bf at the chest and abs location

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
General rule of thumb is bodyweight X 15 for bulking calories, 10 for cutting, 12 for maintence.

Take that total number and divide by the ratio's of the diet your following to get the amount per day.

Ex. 140(wt)x15=2100cals/day

40/40/20 diet(40%protein, 40%carb,20%fat) would be 2100 divided by the percentages....aka 2100X 0.4= 840cals from protein and carbs. To get gram amounts divide that number by 4(amount of calories per gram).

840/4= 210grams/day(carbs and protein)

Fat do the same..... 2100X.2= 420
420/9= 47grams/day(fat)
Thanks for that!!! I've seen all sort of calorie calculators and such, but that is a very cool guideline to follow for cutting/bulking/etc., plus a breakdown of protein vs fats, etc. I'm copying and pasting this into a .txt file so I don't lose it :) - I'd give you more reputation, but I gave too much today already...lol

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this might sounds stupid but wont eating more fat make you gain more weight? right now im trying to cut because i have a very high bf%. im very thin but have high bf at the chest and abs location
At your height and weight YOU ARE NOT FAT. You just have low muscle defenition. Get the diet tuned in, and the workouts on point and you'll recomposition quit nicely. You have absolutely no need to diet to lose weight.

Jegs66

Awards
thank you. the diet ive that i currently came up consists of 6 meals totaling 81 g of fat, 182 g of protein, 248 g of carbs which is 2947 calories. i will try to get it to the 40/40/20 guide line but i think this will be ok to start training with

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I thought you were trying to gain more weight so that's what my earlier recommendation was for. Do you know your bodyfat exactly or approximately? You said you had a skinny build and it's hard for me to imagine a high body fat, 140 pound male.

But as for eating more fat making you fatter, no, that's not exactly how it works. I like to think of fat storage as only occurring in the presence of a constant overabundance of calories. If you're eating too much, whether it be protein, carbs, or fat, you will be storing some in fatty tissues. From personal experience, I've had very good results with cutting diets that were high in fat.

dhuge67

dhuge67

Awards
  • Established
A lot of research is pointing to 33/33/33 being ideal for bodybuilding. 1/3 of calories coming from each macro. Interesting, but I'm definitely protein-skewed! haha

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
thank you. the diet ive that i currently came up consists of 6 meals totaling 81 g of fat, 182 g of protein, 248 g of carbs which is 2947 calories. i will try to get it to the 40/40/20 guide line but i think this will be ok to start training with
Check the math, I came up with approximately 2368 calories from that. This would be a good starting point, though.

The plan looks good for 6 separate meals, except I would suggest possible a little more protein.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
A lot of research is pointing to 33/33/33 being ideal for bodybuilding. 1/3 of calories coming from each macro. Interesting, but I'm definitely protein-skewed! haha
1% is missing! haha

I'm usually biased towards protein also. Especially if resistance training is involved.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Carbs, Protein, Fat - 33, 34, 33:D

lazerss9

Awards
just to give u an idea, i weigh about 141ish, 5'10" and 19 years old. i try to take in a minimum of 3000 calories on non-workout days and 3500 min on workout days and as of right now, ive already put on about 6 pounds in about 2-3 weeks. i've put on some stomach fat, but im more worried about size and mass and figure i can cut when i get to around 150. also, i try to get around the 40/40/20 split, but normally end up about 40 carbs/35 protein/25 fat.

i think ur idea is a good starting point, but i bet ull need to bump up the calories before u start noticing some real results(at least thats what happened with me). if ur looking to put on overall mass, try a 5x5 workout(like this one Eclipse Gym :: View topic - Bill Starr 5x5 Primer - How to create your own 5x5 program ). i think it works well for most people.

this is just my experience and the advice i was given, so i figure i can pass it on; im not tryin to go behind the back of people that have much more experience than me.

arena

i hope when u say 33/33/33, u are talking in terms of calories. because it u are talking grams, then fat will account for like 50% of ur daily calories

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
i hope when u say 33/33/33, u are talking in terms of calories. because it u are talking grams, then fat will account for like 50% of ur daily calories
I think calories is generally what those stand for.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, the percentage ratio's are always expressed in terms of percent calories not grams.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
mmmmm mcdonalds, quarter pounders have a pretty even macronutrient value

Please, do post links to these studies. :food: