To Detox or Not To Detox

1. Registered User

Arrow To Detox or Not To Detox

Looking for a Detox program and trying to determine whether it is truly effective/beneficial; something like Renew Life CleanseSMART or Anabolic Innovations Cycle Support or something like a 3-day all liquid diet of 100% juice's, fruite, water, and protein shakes with adding 3 grams of Psyllium Husk Fiber in each shake, and maybe throwing in senna before bedtime.

Thinking something like Renew Life CleanseSMART over a longer duration might be more effective.

Not too familiar with the following, but recall reading somewhere it is quite effective:

Black Walnut Hull Tincture Extra Strength, Wormwood capsules, and Cloves capsules was quite effective. Anyone familiar with this?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.

ummm i was under the impression that wormwood was poisonous....
  3. Registered User

I've read many negative things about colon cleansing, but I don't believe any of them. Colon cleansing generally sounds like a good way to clear toxins from your body. What do you think?
    - Dan / Georgia

Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist Michael Picco, M.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

Answer
    Proponents believe colon cleansing provides health benefits — by removing toxins from their bodies, and boosting their energy and their immune systems. But doctors take a different view.

Although doctors may recommend colon cleansing in preparation for a medical examination of the colon, most don't recommend colon cleansing for better health or to prevent disease. This is because:

It's unnecessary. Your colon doesn't require enemas or special diets or pills to eliminate waste material and bacteria. It does this naturally on its own.
    It may be harmful. Your colon absorbs water and sodium to maintain your body's fluid and electrolyte balance. Some colon-cleansing programs disrupt this balance, causing dehydration and salt depletion. Long-term or excessive cleansing programs can lead to problems such as anemia, malnutrition and heart failure.

Colon Cleansing: Is it harmful or helpful?

Of course, if our body is working well, with good immune and eliminative functions, we can handle our basic everyday exposure to toxins.

General Detoxification and Cleansing
    •   

4. Registered User

Good info! Seems the whole detox product are a bit overrated. Probably more effective would be an actually fasting/all liquids for 2-3 days and increase your fiber intake with 3 grams of Psyllium Husk Fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by gdbear65 View Post
    I've read many negative things about colon cleansing, but I don't believe any of them. Colon cleansing generally sounds like a good way to clear toxins from your body. What do you think?
    - Dan / Georgia

Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist Michael Picco, M.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

Answer
    Proponents believe colon cleansing provides health benefits by removing toxins from their bodies, and boosting their energy and their immune systems. But doctors take a different view.

Although doctors may recommend colon cleansing in preparation for a medical examination of the colon, most don't recommend colon cleansing for better health or to prevent disease. This is because:

It's unnecessary. Your colon doesn't require enemas or special diets or pills to eliminate waste material and bacteria. It does this naturally on its own.
    It may be harmful. Your colon absorbs water and sodium to maintain your body's fluid and electrolyte balance. Some colon-cleansing programs disrupt this balance, causing dehydration and salt depletion. Long-term or excessive cleansing programs can lead to problems such as anemia, malnutrition and heart failure.

Colon Cleansing: Is it harmful or helpful?

Of course, if our body is working well, with good immune and eliminative functions, we can handle our basic everyday exposure to toxins.

General Detoxification and Cleansing
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fatburner2007 View Post
    Good info! Seems the whole detox product are a bit overrated. Probably more effective would be an actually fasting/all liquids for 2-3 days and increase your fiber intake with 3 grams of Psyllium Husk Fiber.
    For healthy people it's unwarranted. If you're really concerned, a fast is probably the best way to go, but IMO if you eat a balanced diet and you eat your veggies and fruit raw or only slightly cooked you should be fine without doing anything. I'm sure you know this, but don't forget that water intake is crucial to naturally detox your body. The latest recommendation I've read is to drink 8oz of non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated liquids per waking hour. And if you consume alcoholic or caffeinated beverages, you should consume an equal amount of water.
  6. Gold Member

These colon cleansing products are such a ripoff. Most contain a combination of psyllium husks (i.e. Metamucil) and a laxative, usually senna-based (i.e. Ex-Lax). More importantly, there are no accumulated toxins and fecal matter in the colon and intestines that need to be cleansed. The colon is self-cleansing, so to speak. I have seen images taken from inside the intestinal tract after a mild laxative and a 12-hour fast, and they are completely clean... looks like the inside of your mouth. The idea that people have 30 years of rotting poop sitting inside them is bullsh!t, plain and simple.

As for whole-body "detoxes", what exactly are you trying to detoxify? Specific toxins reside in specific tissues, have specific effects, and require specific remedies. If you have been exposed to a certain toxin and are exhibiting symptoms of this, then get it treated. But the idea that your body is overloaded with random toxins is not accurate, and more importantly, there is no wonder formula that is going to magically flush all varieties of toxins from your entire body.
  7. Registered User

h20 my friend...
  8. Registered User

Agree completely!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSavage View Post
    These colon cleansing products are such a ripoff. Most contain a combination of psyllium husks (i.e. Metamucil) and a laxative, usually senna-based (i.e. Ex-Lax). More importantly, there are no accumulated toxins and fecal matter in the colon and intestines that need to be cleansed. The colon is self-cleansing, so to speak. I have seen images taken from inside the intestinal tract after a mild laxative and a 12-hour fast, and they are completely clean... looks like the inside of your mouth. The idea that people have 30 years of rotting poop sitting inside them is bullsh!t, plain and simple.

As for whole-body "detoxes", what exactly are you trying to detoxify? Specific toxins reside in specific tissues, have specific effects, and require specific remedies. If you have been exposed to a certain toxin and are exhibiting symptoms of this, then get it treated. But the idea that your body is overloaded with random toxins is not accurate, and more importantly, there is no wonder formula that is going to magically flush all varieties of toxins from your entire body.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. To Rub or not to Rub
    By Big Joe in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
  2. To Gear or Not to Gear
    By wikked1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 01:24 PM
  3. To cheese or not to cheese?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Weight Loss