How much fibre for a bodybuilder?

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Its recommended a regular person gets 30g of fibre a day, im wondering is this the same for a bodybuilder whose getting in more protein? I've bloated up recently about 15lbs in like 3 weeks cause I dont think ive been eating enough and my gut is sticking out.

I havent actually been eating any extra fibre as to what i used to when i didnt workout so maybe thats the problem, i dont exactly count or have a rough idea of how much i get daily anyway - but i might do that.

What im thinking is, ive got this powder type stuff, its made from sunflower kernels, almonds and linseed etc, per 100g or 3.5oz theres 22grams of fibre so im thinking of adding some into my whey shakes, and aiming for say... 40 maybe 50g of fibre daily see if i can at least unbloat myself cause i dont think its all fat im sure a majority is bloating as 15lbs or so in 2.5 weeks is a lot to gain, and i know my first week i wasnt eating any fibre and i was having a hard time in the bathroom

just wondering if anyone else here adds some fibre type stuff into their shakes, and is it a good idea or bad? could it possibly just send the shake thru my pipes and out the other end or would it just maybe speed up the process in the absorbtion of the protein and help digest it?

im thinking if i have 3 protein shakes a day, if i add 5g of fibre to each one thats already half of what a regular person needs a day, i could even put in 10 easily...

ive still been getting mixed responses from people about if i do ardio 3x a week on days i dont workout for up to 15mins. short intense periods of cardio ive read wont screw my gains or slow them down, but recently ive been advised against it...

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your diet is right, cardio should actually help with the bulk by eeping the weight fairly clean and consistent with 'good' gains. I always do regular amounts of cardio while either cutting or bulking, helps keep things regular and steady.

As for diet, I usually consume between 30-35gr of fiber/day thru whole food sources. The larger amounts may actually exasperate the problem by clogging the plumbing instead of actually helping with removal. Tract you intake, find out how much your taking per day. If it's less then normal(20-25gr), add in a extra scoop of supp to a shake to reach 30-35gr per day and see if it doesn't help with the bloat.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
i think the easiest option would be a body transplant... with ronnie coleman

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lack of fiber won't get you 15lbs heavier in 3 weeks, its hard to imagine what could really, other than maybe pherplex. And fiber can clog you up, partially because it does absorb water while it sits in your intestines. so if you do start taking in powdered fiber, take in more water too

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lack of fiber won't get you 15lbs heavier in 3 weeks, its hard to imagine what could really, other than maybe pherplex. And fiber can clog you up, partially because it does absorb water while it sits in your intestines. so if you do start taking in powdered fiber, take in more water too
Good points... increase water intake(especially with soluable fiber), increase acitivity and increase fiber should all help with regularity.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
increase activity? ie 10-15mins of cardio 3 times a week?

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
in the mornings i add 1 tsp of fibersure to my shake, and on high carb days i add it to one in the afternoon. I had intestinal issues for a while i think from all the protien, and adding the extra 12 g of fiber a day made the difference, no more stomach aches and nasty returns on the toilet.

EDIT: Also if you are only doing cardio 3 times a week i would suggest about 30 minutes to keep fat off. 10-15 will get your heart going but not maximize the fat burn.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also if you are only doing cardio 3 times a week i would suggest about 30 minutes to keep fat off. 10-15 will get your heart going but not maximize the fat burn.
I concurr.

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
I concurr.
Thank you. Also on the note of cardio, something to keep in mind, there is research out there that shows that cardio is extremely effective after weightlifting, and causes increased fat burning in the areas of the muscles you just worked. So the idea is lift and then immediately do cardio, glycogen stores in your body will be low since they were used in lifting, and your body will pull from fat stores for energy. Same reason you max fat burning potential by doing cardio first thing in the AM.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I aim for 1 gram of fiber for every 7-8g of carbs that I eat. It usually ends up being in the 30-40g range.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
i have gone as high as 70-80 recently. i think it is definitely good to take more than the higher RDA, although that much isn't really necessary

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What where you supplementing with to get that high of an amount?

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
a lot of whole grain bread, fiber bars they have at costco with 9 grams per serving, brocoli, and this protein powder i found that has 5 grams of fiber per scoop as well. i had my calories up a little bit because i am in pct and did this for a few weeks, and i was getting leaner while eating more. however, i am also taking burn3d and retain 2, so it could be completely unrelated. i pretty much just wanted to see how it would go.

for the first few days, it was pretty rough on my stomach, but it seemed to adjust. i don't think it's really necessary though. i personally like to shoot for 40-50 grams personally, i have nothing to back this up though, i just feel like it's good for the body

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
i dont know about cardio right after lifting weights ive always been told and always read you can do it but not within 8hours of lifting and no longer than about 16-20mins otherwise ur body runs out of glycogen and taps into muscle storages for energy. Ive always read that bodybuilders cutting lose less mass when keeping cardio to 16mins but the thing is it has to be REALLY intense. If your going to do cardio for 30mins you aint going to go as hard.

I used to be pretty overweight and I never went over 20minutes, i ended up doing like 2lbs of fat a week ended up losing 40pounds in 3 months or so. Worked well for me didnt even alter my eating habits and lost my roundness, turkey neck, fat arms n legs and looked thin under a shirt, no abs but i was thin.

I forgot what it was called but basically you want to aim really high, and i found i never feel like im getting a lot out of my cardio unless my heart rate is above 200bpm, 220 and i feel like im burning a lot my hearts about to burst. When I was learning about this I found cycling is the best option. Ive got those indor bikes in my room and because ur sitting there stable u can just push ur legs and fast as you can and not fal off, lean ur weight on the handles and just pedal ur arse off. Whereas with jogging I dont last usually more than 15mins unless I jog really slow but If i want to do fast jogging ie sprinting (which they say doing intervals of sprinting is effective) then i find when trying to push myself to that high heart rate you begin to trip over etc. Thats where cycling is my favourite option cause your stable.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, if you do cardio after weight lifting keep it in the moderate to low intensity levels. High intensity cardio has a propendency to sink into glycogen stores for more effective "immediate" use of energy. Low to moderate allows the body to pull slowely from stored energy(fat), and will help preserve muscle mass. Either way you do your cardio, just make sure your getting around 20-30min worth and you should feel better(for moderate cardio preferrably 30Min).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is one study that shows that you actually end up with better strength/size gains with light post strength workout cardio, but I can't seem to find the reference to that right now.

walkthewalk

walkthewalk

Awards
Also if you are only doing cardio 3 times a week i would suggest about 30 minutes to keep fat off. 10-15 will get your heart going but not maximize the fat burn.
sounds right

Good Luck

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
30mins sounds long. maybe not 10-15mins but 15-20mins, 22mins max, apparently longer than 20mins is when ur body starts to tap into muscles for energy etc all that stuff i said before. ie the whole theory of the bulky sprinter versus the skinny marathon runner.

I'll do it for 20mins like I always have in the past that worked wonders but I'm thinking of taking in a whey shake 10-15mins before hand? Or after? Anything to minimalize the muscle loss if any.

But that aside I'm still a believer to keep it 8hours away minimum from your weight lifting.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
30mins sounds long. maybe not 10-15mins but 15-20mins, 22mins max, apparently longer than 20mins is when ur body starts to tap into muscles for energy etc all that stuff i said before. ie the whole theory of the bulky sprinter versus the skinny marathon runner.

I'll do it for 20mins like I always have in the past that worked wonders but I'm thinking of taking in a whey shake 10-15mins before hand? Or after? Anything to minimalize the muscle loss if any.

But that aside I'm still a believer to keep it 8hours away minimum from your weight lifting.
20 min is the norm for heart rate to reach peak conditions and for metabolism to peak. Muscle catabolisim is tricky when doing cardio, but for me moderate cardio 5-6mph on treadmill for 30min 3-4xweek has worked great. If your worried about it I'd suggest you sip on a BCAA(Xcell, Xtend, etc) drink before during and after your workout for muscle preservation.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, but i dont have those things you're talking about and dont have the money atm. I'll just go jogging 3x a week, maybe 4, but I'm not too confident on jogging the day after I do my leg workouts, so I'll give thursday a miss as wednesday is a leg day.

I'll go off jogging I'll probably be lucky to last 12mins but then ill walk for a min, and go fast jogging / slow sprint for as long as I can get that heart rate up really high and push myself till I cant go any further, walk off till I can breathe again and do it once more - ie interval type stuff. I suck at keeping a constant pace while jogging for long periods of time unless its the treadmill at the gym where I can do 30mins no problem. Some reason running on the street is different, probly go faster and run out quicker. But either way I think the interval type stuff is more effective?

Cant be bothered doing cycling so instead I'll just push hard while jogging.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Remember to slowly ramp-up your extra fiber.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
yeap im going fine i dont feel so bloated anymore

the bloatness is gone but the rest of the weight gain was fat... pretty annoying i hope i dont gain anymore and that it was just a adjustment issue like my body was getting used to it the first 2 weeks or so and now ill sit here at this weight

i dont think i even eat that much i struggle finding my 1.5grams/lb of bodyweight so yea, i think jogging 3x a week should slowly bring me back down or at least keep me here

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subscribed.

I eat Fiber-one which has 14 grams of fiber per one cup. (sometimes if Im carb restricting I eat 1/2 cup) I ate oatmeal , and fiber-one is much better for fiber content.

Also veggies and sweet potaoes, red potatoes, brown rice, higher fiber stuff so I never really paid much attention because I get enough in.

I was thinking about buying fiber chewable pills to see if any differences are felt.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'm fine with fibre now

Just cant be bothered jogging to lose the extra gut

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks, but i dont have those things you're talking about and dont have the money atm. I'll just go jogging 3x a week, maybe 4, but I'm not too confident on jogging the day after I do my leg workouts, so I'll give thursday a miss as wednesday is a leg day.

I'll go off jogging I'll probably be lucky to last 12mins but then ill walk for a min, and go fast jogging / slow sprint for as long as I can get that heart rate up really high and push myself till I cant go any further, walk off till I can breathe again and do it once more - ie interval type stuff. I suck at keeping a constant pace while jogging for long periods of time unless its the treadmill at the gym where I can do 30mins no problem. Some reason running on the street is different, probly go faster and run out quicker. But either way I think the interval type stuff is more effective?

Cant be bothered doing cycling so instead I'll just push hard while jogging.
Sounds like your doing a HITT style cardio workout. Google HITT and read up on it.... may help you out.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
yeah HITT is something along the lines, i used to read about it know a bit on it but yeah im probably too lazy to do HITT cardio as you gotta go all out (and i mean all out) for a short period of time, ill just go jogging medium paced where i usually give out in 10mins but ill push myself to continue to 20 and give my heart a good going, should lose fat that way aswell, as long as the heart rate is up