Macronutrient partitioning - carbs and fats - need more info

vision

Question: Can anyone inform me about how to set up my meals more efficiently?

I've tried using the search function but I cant find any posts that address this question directly.

Background and the stuff that I've read that confuses me:

I know the general rules of nutrition for working out particularly the percentages which i stay around C,P,F - 50,40,10 - 50,35,15 and I know to separate carbs and fats but I don't totally understand why. I'm assuming its easier for the body to digest one macronutrient at a time. I've seen some guys post saying they intake protein after eating carbs or have a whey shake postWO and then eat carbs separately.

My daily food intake consisits of 7-8 meals (4 shakes), and at least 2 carb meals (50-60g+), the remaining meals are usually a slight mix of carbs and fats and protein usually chicken sandwiches. My fat intake is mostly from the olive oil I cook my chicken and eggs in but I have a kick a$$ Foreman now and I don't use any oil. I ordered a lot of flaxseed oil and I also plan on including at least one meal a day of chicken salad with olive oil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I have never heard of needing to seperate carbs and fats.
Carbs will help you absorb other nutrients due to the insulin spike, although if you are eating corectly meaning low GI carbs split throughout the day your insulin should remain stable.

From what I have read lately, afew important points are to have protein 15-60mins before a workout, and to have simple carbs along with more protein immediatly after, and then 60 mins after a workout to have a big meal with all 3 macronutrients, getting your fats in after a workout are better than getting them in at other times because your body can partition them better at that time, also another protein drink 3 hours after your workout is important too. You should also be getting some fats from fish oil(not flax).

vision

I have never heard of needing to seperate carbs and fats.
Carbs will help you absorb other nutrients due to the insulin spike, although if you are eating corectly meaning low GI carbs split throughout the day your insulin should remain stable.

From what I have read lately, afew important points are to have protein 15-60mins before a workout, and to have simple carbs along with more protein immediatly after, and then 60 mins after a workout to have a big meal with all 3 macronutrients, getting your fats in after a workout are better than getting them in at other times because your body can partition them better at that time, also another protein drink 3 hours after your workout is important too. You should also be getting some fats from fish oil(not flax).
Yea I agree with you, that's my basic workout nutrition. I was curious because lately I've been comparing how I eat to other people on the forum and I noticed a lot of people talking about separating meals into carb/protein and fat/protein meals and I was just wondering why and when the best time is to take in fat.