What To Eat Or Take Before Bed???

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
I have heard people talking about consuming slow digesting protein before bed and that it is important to maintain an anabolic state. So I was wondering what exactly yall do before bed and how much protein and calories yall try to consume. I have heard people say they drink casein protein shakes before bed.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
1 cup cottage cheese and 2 cups skim milk. before bed your body needs slow digesting casein proteins - which take roughly 7/8 hrs to digest - to keep your body in a perpetual anabolic state as you sleep. since youre not taking in any nutrients during the night your muscles need some kind of protein to nourish and sustain you as you sleep.

avoid taking in lots of carbohydrates directly before bed, as large carb meals pre bed can lead to water weight. 1 cup cottage cheese and 2 cups milk is about 50 grams of casein/ whey protein, 30 grams of carbs. i usually dont feel that hungry when i wake up in the morning.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
1 cup cottage cheese and 2 cups skim milk. before bed your body needs slow digesting casein proteins - which take roughly 7/8 hrs to digest - to keep your body in a perpetual anabolic state as you sleep. since youre not taking in any nutrients during the night your muscles need some kind of protein to nourish and sustain you as you sleep.

avoid taking in lots of carbohydrates directly before bed, as large carb meals pre bed can lead to water weight. 1 cup cottage cheese and 2 cups milk is about 50 grams of casein/ whey protein, 30 grams of carbs. i usually dont feel that hungry when i wake up in the morning.
All that galactose and lactose in that milk and cottage cheese will bloat you up pretty good. You may not have to be lactose intolerant to react 'not well' to heavy dairy before bed. IMO all the sugar in 2 cups of milk (about 25 grams+) with the cottage cheese (another 5 grams to total 30 grams SUGAR) before bed will lead to a bad nights sleep. 1 cup of cottage cheese with 2 cups of milk, whether it regular, skim, 1%, 2%, is a recipe for being fatter everyday IMO. I would wakeup groggy when I'd load up on that crap before bed.

IMO, use a pure whey with some ... some healthy fat to slow the digestion. Make a whey shake with water and ice and add 2 TBSP of coconut milk to it, blend and enjoy. I really don't want to sound redundant and sport a product over and over, but I love Oryx Goat Whey as my choice of protein for everything powdered. I've only really sported 2 products this much: Poseidon being #1, and Oryx Goat Whey.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
1 cup of cottage cheese with 2 cups of milk, whether it regular, skim, 1%, 2%, is a recipe for being fatter everyday IMO. I would wakeup groggy when I'd load up on that crap before bed.

IMO, use a pure whey with some ... some healthy fat to slow the digestion. Make a whey shake with water and ice and add 2 TBSP of coconut milk to it, blend and enjoy.
This guy has the right idea. Stop using milk and just mix some good fat with water. Much easier on your digestion, especially your liver. You want your body to work while you sleep to build muscle, not to spend all night just trying to digest your food. Do you know any other species that drinks another specie's milk?

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
This guy has the right idea. Stop using milk and just mix some good fat with water. Much easier on your digestion, especially your liver. You want your body to work while you sleep to build muscle, not to spend all night just trying to digest your food. Do you know any other species that drinks another specie's milk?
Won't cats drink non-cat milk?

But I do agree a little with the reasoning of not overloading digestion overnight. Recently, I started 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 can tuna or 1 cup chicken breast, with 1 cup green beans. I don't notice much bloating with this, but the addition of cottage cheese might be linked to some restlessness I've been having. It's not bad, though, and I kind of enjoy the opportunity to get something to eat in the middle of the night, which usually ends up being a little peanut butter and 10-20g of whey.

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
All that galactose and lactose in that milk and cottage cheese will bloat you up pretty good. You may not have to be lactose intolerant to react 'not well' to heavy dairy before bed. IMO all the sugar in 2 cups of milk (about 25 grams+) with the cottage cheese (another 5 grams to total 30 grams SUGAR) before bed will lead to a bad nights sleep. 1 cup of cottage cheese with 2 cups of milk, whether it regular, skim, 1%, 2%, is a recipe for being fatter everyday IMO. I would wakeup groggy when I'd load up on that crap before bed.

IMO, use a pure whey with some ... some healthy fat to slow the digestion. Make a whey shake with water and ice and add 2 TBSP of coconut milk to it, blend and enjoy. I really don't want to sound redundant and sport a product over and over, but I love Oryx Goat Whey as my choice of protein for everything powdered. I've only really sported 2 products this much: Poseidon being #1, and Oryx Goat Whey.

I love the coconut milk idea!!! Tastes amazing too!

Goat whey, huh? That's interesting......Consensus seems to be that casien is ideal before bed though... although admittedly, I know nothing of goat whey...

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the replies and ideas guys. I will definantely try some of those suggestions. I have always just been worried about getting fat from eating before bed, but I have recently realized thats only if you eat incorrectly. One more question, would it be sufficient to simply make a protein shake with a casein protein such as Optimum Nutrition's 100% Casein, and if so how much protein should i put into my shake, and if so would it be better to mix it with water to avoid the sugar or to mix it with skim milk to further slow the digestion and add some extra protein?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
This is true and is also another thing I found out after researching goat's milk after switching to Oryx Goat Whey. Goat's milk is ideal for infants as well as adults, because it is EXTREMELY close to human milk. Oryx Goat Whey contains more BCAA concentration than bovine whey and is much more easily absorbed and digested.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I love the coconut milk idea!!! Tastes amazing too!

Goat whey, huh? That's interesting......Consensus seems to be that casien is ideal before bed though... although admittedly, I know nothing of goat whey...
Many people swear by casein before bed. Then again, I know some people who can eat fast food 4 times a day and still stay lean and ripped without having any GI issues. I have tried casein before bed and I've even tried MHPs 12 hour protein and sythra-6 by BSN... I just think that many companies are honestly MISSING THE BOAT with protein products. Meat sources: Sure we all love our chicken hot off the grill or our steaks nice and rare and juicy, sure... plant protein? I like hemp protein and protein from beans, sure... they're miniscule additions to the larger sum. When you create a protein powder, I prefer not the exogenous, inferior source from the milk of some plentiful animal that's milk has little similar properties to our own.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established

yes, but the lactose found in dairy is rated lower on the GI. I think it's important to note that different types of carbs serve different purposes. Foods that are high on the GI spike blood sugar levels and are broken down quickly. Foods that are low on the GI are absorbed much slower. In some cases, as in pre bed, your body needs lower GI foods to give you a more constant, running, slow-digesting energy supply during the night as you're fasting, which is why I prefer the lactose in cottage cheese and milk.

Cottage cheese, above all else, is a low glycemic carb and abundant in caseinate proteins. 1 cup will provide roughly 30 grams of casein protein, which your body will use to fuel itself over the course of the night. Milk simply provides additional low GI carbs to give you energy during the night and prevent catabolism.

I scarcely feel bloated in the morning - only when I specifically eat lots of carbs before bed do I sometimes wake up feeling "fat". Aside from occasional stress, I usually always sleep very soundly at night and don't feel very groggy come the AM. 2 cups of milk works for me. Ultimately depends on your body type and what portions you can handle though.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
yes, but the lactose found in dairy is rated lower on the GI. I think it's important to note that different types of carbs serve different purposes. Foods that are high on the GI spike blood sugar levels and are broken down quickly. Foods that are low on the GI are absorbed much slower. In some cases, as in pre bed, your body needs lower GI foods to give you a more constant, running, slow-digesting energy supply during the night as you're fasting, which is why I prefer the lactose in cottage cheese and milk.

Cottage cheese, above all else, is a low glycemic carb and abundant in caseinate proteins. 1 cup will provide roughly 30 grams of casein protein, which your body will use to fuel itself over the course of the night. Milk simply provides additional low GI carbs to give you energy during the night and prevent catabolism.

I scarcely feel bloated in the morning - only when I specifically eat lots of carbs before bed do I sometimes wake up feeling "fat". Aside from occasional stress, I usually always sleep very soundly at night and don't feel very groggy come the AM. 2 cups of milk works for me. Ultimately depends on your body type and what portions you can handle though.
You're in a lose/lose situation with milk type products like this... especially with the lactose. If you're unable to metabolize lactose, your screwed because of the nasty allergic reaction you'll encounter. If you CAN metabolize it, it converts into glucose and galactose and will be stored as fat. I don't buy into the glycemic index very much anymore. I don't find it to be a viable tool and think that it's pretty much obselete. If it works for you, that's awesome... the milk and cheese thing that is. ;)

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I've used the 1 cup cottage cheese and 2 cups skim milk for a while now and i must say i think with using whey before bed, which i've also done, yes I wake up not feeling as bloated, but aslo VERY hungry. meaning i was on the brink or well into catabolism prior to waking. The low GI sugars in 2 cups of milk would IMO buffer the absorbtion of the protien. Speaking to the liver comment, the body does need some glucose in the system even while asleep to properly fuel the growth process (glycogen replenishment to whatever degree is necessary, is an extremely inefficient process when all of the glucose is being created in THE LIVER by means of glucogenesis. I commonly even have a piece of whole wheat bread with a Tbsp of smart balance PB with this. Of course if i was cutting, i may wish to cut that out and\or alter the ratio of carbs to proteins to fats in my pre bed meal, but nevertheless, this pre bed recipe would seem to outweigh the cons with the positive benefits of the nutrients and ratios one would be getting. 500mg to 1g of dandelion root before bed can help minimize the bloating i've found.

Motomatt

Motomatt

Awards
I have 25g Alpha-Lactalbumin to help me sleep better .

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the replies and ideas guys. I will definantely try some of those suggestions. I have always just been worried about getting fat from eating before bed, but I have recently realized thats only if you eat incorrectly. One more question, would it be sufficient to simply make a protein shake with a casein protein such as Optimum Nutrition's 100% Casein, and if so how much protein should i put into my shake, and if so would it be better to mix it with water to avoid the sugar or to mix it with skim milk to further slow the digestion and add some extra protein?
Not trying to be annoying, but anyone have any thoughts?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
You can use the 20-50 grams of a REALLY GOOD, CLEAN, PURE casein... NOT milk and cheese... "oh it's cottage cheese," whatever... don't eat milk and cheese before bed! Hell, I wouldn't be caught dead eating that crap during the day... Unless I had a date with an annoying b**ch that I wanted to rip ass on all night and scare her out of my apartment. . . Talk about gas out the @$$... stand clear my friend.

Either a pure, pure casein... or like some of us agreed on... 50 grams of pure whey and a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or coconut milk to slow the digestion and absorption of the whey. You can also add organic hemp protein into the mix for some additional dietary fiber and awesome plant protein which will slow digestion even more!

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
You can use the 20-50 grams of a REALLY GOOD, CLEAN, PURE casein... NOT milk and cheese... "oh it's cottage cheese," whatever... don't eat milk and cheese before bed! Hell, I wouldn't be caught dead eating that crap during the day... Unless I had a date with an annoying b**ch that I wanted to rip ass on all night and scare her out of my apartment. . . Talk about gas out the @$$... stand clear my friend.

Either a pure, pure casein... or like some of us agreed on... 50 grams of pure whey and a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or coconut milk to slow the digestion and absorption of the whey. You can also add organic hemp protein into the mix for some additional dietary fiber and awesome plant protein which will slow digestion even more!
I used to get gas from the cottage cheese. I think it was either the due to the brand or it being the low fat version, though, because I haven't had any problems since I added Prairie Farms 4% milkfat back into my diet at night.

And to the contrary, I sometimes feel the hemp protein doesn't help the gas situation always either. If you take it without any other fiber source, it is usually fine. But I would usually take it with a protein blend that already had significant fiber in it and I'd have to say it was totally disrupting to my sleep that night that I put hemp with the protein shake.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
You can have cottage cheese before bed. The fellow that is so utterly against must have had a bad experience or something. Now 1 cup of CC along with 2 cups of skim milk is a little excessive IMO. But cottage cheese before bed is and probably always will be a STAPLE for alot of people. Whatever happened to the old tried and true combo of Cottage cheese and an apple?? Always...always worked well for me. Healthy fats are also a great choice also with some casein powder. But NOTHING wrong with cottage cheese my man.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
You can have cottage cheese before bed. The fellow that is so utterly against must have had a bad experience or something. Now 1 cup of CC along with 2 cups of skim milk is a little excessive IMO. But cottage cheese before bed is and probably always will be a STAPLE for alot of people. Whatever happened to the old tried and true combo of Cottage cheese and an apple?? Always...always worked well for me. Healthy fats are also a great choice also with some casein powder. But NOTHING wrong with cottage cheese my man.
i only drink 2 cups of skim milk for bulking purposes. my body metabolizes it very well - I don't wake up feeling bloated and my body fat has remained pretty constant. Like I said earlier, it depends upon your body type and what works for you. Do whatever you want, in the end it comes down to how well you know your body.