Natural peanut/almond/sunflower butter + oils

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a funny question. When you buy natty nut butters, the first time opening them there is a big pool of oil on top. has anyone done the math to see how much it would change the nutritional profile to pour off that oil? I know it will be a ***** to spread afterwards, but i'd be spreading it on whole wheat english muffins, so its ok

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would you want to pour off the oil? The healthy fats are the reason that most eat nut butters (other than the marvelous taste).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mostly to reduce fat, I just need something to spread on the whole grain muffins for taste so that I don't feel like I'm munching cardboard, and want to minimize caloric impact :)

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Why would you want to pour off the oil? The healthy fats are the reason that most eat nut butters (other than the marvelous taste).
i pour a couple tbsp of the oil down the drain. i eat almond butter mostly for its taste anyways. the stuff is just too damn calorie dense otherwise. im still getting healthy fats, just not 20g of them per serving. this way i can enjoy a greater quantity (or similar quantity) with less fat. its best not to refrigerate if you pour out some oil to make it more spreadable.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get some fruit spreads that don't have any added sugar or some apple butter. There are some english muffins that don't taste really bad, I think Sara Lee makes an awesome whole grain and blueberry kind.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Get some fruit spreads that don't have any added sugar or some apple butter. There are some english muffins that don't taste really bad, I think Sara Lee makes an awesome whole grain and blueberry kind.
yeah, i do fruit spreads sometimes, they taste great! or you could combine your protein source to make a sammich (sandwich). almost all protein sources work: chicken, turkey, beef, eggs, fish.

sticking with the PB route, i used to buy this low fat (notice i said low fat and not reduced fat) peanut butter called peanut wonder. most major organic stores carry this and its 2.5g fat per serving with 12g carbs. the carbs arent the cleanest source but not too bad either. i actually prefer the taste of this over natural pb and its half the cals!

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
aren't u suppose to mix the oil that's on top? makes it easier to scoop out the pb etc, altho lately the peanut oil is causing zit breakouts :(

Motomatt

Motomatt

Awards
i pour a couple tbsp of the oil down the drain. i eat almond butter mostly for its taste anyways. the stuff is just too damn calorie dense otherwise. im still getting healthy fats, just not 20g of them per serving. this way i can enjoy a greater quantity (or similar quantity) with less fat. its best not to refrigerate if you pour out some oil to make it more spreadable.
I always pour off the oil, but have heard that if you don't refrigerate the ground nuts go rancid.

IainDaniel

Awards
Just mix it up and throw it in the Fridge. Won't seperate then.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
I always pour off the oil, but have heard that if you don't refrigerate the ground nuts go rancid.
i suppose if you let it sit for weeks this will be the case but i go through jars at the rate of about 1 each week. has never given me any problems

Motomatt

Motomatt

Awards
i suppose if you let it sit for weeks this will be the case but i go through jars at the rate of about 1 each week. has never given me any problems
You are right,I don't go through that quick.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
As far as the calorie change this is what I found online

"If you still feel that the savings in calories outweighs the potential health benefits, consider this: On average, you'll find about two tablespoons of oil at the top of a jar of natural peanut butter, roughly 239 calories (or 9 calories extra per serving.)"
-COPYRIGHT 2002 Weider Publications Natural Health

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
As far as the calorie change this is what I found online

"If you still feel that the savings in calories outweighs the potential health benefits, consider this: On average, you'll find about two tablespoons of oil at the top of a jar of natural peanut butter, roughly 239 calories (or 9 calories extra per serving.)"
-COPYRIGHT 2002 Weider Publications Natural Health
not sure who did the math or what size container they were using but a typical jar of PB has 16 servings which calculates to about 15 clas from fat per serving. additionally, i drained 8 tsps full of oil just now (it was all the separated oil) so it appears im saving about 5g of fat per serving. better than nothing. im still getting healthy fats, just not as dense per serving. whats wrong with that?