Sternum popping!?!?!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Unhappy Sternum popping!?!?!?!?


    since ive been grabbing larger and larger weights at an accelerated rate this last couple months and more so high reps of dips ive been getting what seems to be an increasing problem....

    i dont know how many others have experienced (and is part of why im posting to see if this is norm) this so ill do my best to explain.... your sternum is a joint but for most folks it wont pop likeyour knuckles or knees... mine does, and recently ALOT, and the moreits popping the more it hurts, when it happens its like my chest gets really tight and it usually happens when im in my recliner or cradling my lil boy,with my shoulders and chest pressing concave inwards, then when i go to stand up or set him in his rocker/hand off to moms i cant stretch it out it gets very tight and compressed and i have to pull my shoulders back and tip my head back stretching and eventually get a relieving POP, wich then turns to pain for the next little while.

    is this norm? have others experienced this? am i gonna tear my sternum if i keep pushin heavier weight at this rate, or is this going to cause permanent damage from constant popping? if anthing else this is just damn annoying and sometimes fairly painful, any remedies?

    thanks for any input guys love to hear it but will be taking this up with my doc as well most likely.

  2. Elite Member
    ryansm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,125
    Rep Power
    22020
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    95.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I have never had this problem personally but know of ppl who have. Anyway I doubt it's going to cause any long term or delayed problems in the future. So I would suggest to man up! Seriously though perhaps you should try stretching more often specifically before, during, and after you train chest. Perhaps look into Yoga as this has helped a friend of mine with the same problem. Also you may want to take some time off, or perhaps change your training style. Use a slower tempo, or try a different exercise.
  3. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    great advice as always ryan, thanks my man!
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    ryansm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,125
    Rep Power
    22020
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    95.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I also thought it could be your range of motion, I am a big fan of using as much range as possible for the lift. It allows for the entire muscle group to work through its natural movement under tension. I have found that this allows for better mobility as you gain size. It also works the ligaments and tendons allowing for better stability in the joints.
  5. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ryansm View Post
    I also thought it could be your range of motion, I am a big fan of using as much range as possible for the lift. It allows for the entire muscle group to work through its natural movement under tension. I have found that this allows for better mobility as you gain size. It also works the ligaments and tendons allowing for better stability in the joints.
    i use a huge range of motion... dipping very low (leaning forward on one set, tipping back on the other then pushing straight up on the last), dropping DB's below 90 degrees to get more pull on outside of pecks, setting fly machine on back settings to make tension even at my most relaxed position (prob not good at 295lb flys) and hitting decline and incline all in one night.... i honestly think its this extra stretch im forcing on my frame thats causing the popping and space to be there for gas to even gather... make sense?
  6. Elite Member
    ryansm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,125
    Rep Power
    22020
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    95.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Yes that makes since. I would lower the weight and slow the tempo. Keep using the same ROM just without as much weight and a slower movement. I think it will not only stop the issue, but allow you to resume heavier weight at a faster pace without the return of the problem.

    Except I would first take some time off, and then incorporate those ideas. JMO
  7. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ryansm View Post
    Yes that makes since. I would lower the weight and slow the tempo. Keep using the same ROM just without as much weight and a slower movement. I think it will not only stop the issue, but allow you to resume heavier weight at a faster pace without the return of the problem.

    Except I would first take some time off, and then incorporate those ideas. JMO
    sounds great Ryan, thanks for taking some time to help bro. ill prob take a short break from hitting chest and focus on form and tempo then work back up to it while i concentrate on some other body parts.
  8. Board Supporter
    RSX-S's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    34
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    197
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    90.23%

    I actually have had the exact same problem. My sternum will pop and like you said, if I am sitting with my shoulders forward and my chest concaved in, when I stand up it will pop.

    A few months, maybe a year ago, It popped and actually hurt the day after and for a while after. I couldn't do any exercises that would stretch my rib cage out too much. Like seated DB tricep extensions (Don't even know if thats the right term for that exercise, I'm talking behind the head DB tricep exercises.) It was almost like I had tendonitis in my sternum. And it would get painful. Eventually I had switched my workout around to where I could get a workout in without pain. And just avoided exercises that would aggravate the problem. I believe there is actually a medical term for the condition, I googled it and the treatment was just like any other tendonitis problem.

    But, everything is ok now. It will still pop, like in the morning when I push my chest out. People would think I was crazy when I would tell them about it. But I have no more pain in it. I still get nervous when doing exercises that stretch out my sternum alot.
  9. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2338
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    13.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Poop how are the rest of your joints?
  10. Senior Member
    AnonyMoose's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  256 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,337
    Rep Power
    772
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    66.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    if you are experiencing the pain you indicate - you might want to see a physician to make sure your zyphoid process is in tack.
  11. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
    supersoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,204
    Rep Power
    1777
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    57.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Hey bro, I had something similar. I had to see a bunch of docs, because the pain got to be excruciating all the time. The chief of Orthopedics where I was at was the only one that had a clue what it was, and said it was (not sure of spelling) costochondritis (maybe costalchondritis). For me it only got worse and worse. I remember it hurting the most on the eccentric portion of back movements. Read through this...

    Wacky chest injury - please read and advise...
  12. Senior Member
    sogone2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,158
    Rep Power
    690
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    62.75%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I get this to poops. On flat db bench my chest will pop it doesn't hurt then it actually feel good like it has loosed up something. Only Time it feel bad is on dips it feels like theres a pressure pushed on my chest. It is defintly a wierd feeling.
  13. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    Poop how are the rest of your joints?
    crappy, VERY crappy.... my shoulderhae gotten much better, my elbows only dry out a lil form time to time, never any wrist problems, BUT i have tendonitis in my knees with huge lumps right under my knee caps, making sqauts sound lik i have rice krispes in my knees and then in pain for the next couple days after legs, and my ankles just give out and roll during normal walking on level surfaces

    its great for snowboarding
  14. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by sogone2day View Post
    I get this to poops. On flat db bench my chest will pop it doesn't hurt then it actually feel good like it has loosed up something. Only Time it feel bad is on dips it feels like theres a pressure pushed on my chest. It is defintly a wierd feeling.
    ya i feel it the very most during dips, im thinking of cutting them out all together even in the future.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,837
    Rep Power
    2469152
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by sogone2day View Post
    I get this to poops. On flat db bench my chest will pop it doesn't hurt then it actually feel good like it has loosed up something. Only Time it feel bad is on dips it feels like theres a pressure pushed on my chest. It is defintly a wierd feeling.
    I had the same problem when I first started to "grow" it eventually went away but really hurt for a few weeks. It then same back again about a year later but has since gine away again. It seems to only happen to me when Im deep into a heavy bulk with heavy weights.

    When I get time i'll read that linbk super posted
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  16. Registered User
    UNCfan1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,948
    Rep Power
    1068
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    88.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    ya i feel it the very most during dips, im thinking of cutting them out all together even in the future.
    It happens to me after every chest workout. Just like u dips make it worse. It gets really tight and I bend backwards and it pops. Some days it pops alot. I don't know what causes but its annoying but I don't think its anything to worry about.
  17. Board Sponsor
    Sir Savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,084
    Rep Power
    1190
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    49.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Guys, this is interesting.

    How would y'all describe this "pop"? Does it actually make a noise? Does it hurt?

    I've gotten a sudden pressure like sensation right at my sternum a couple of times before. It hits suddenly for like a second, then immediately goes away. It might come back a couple more times. I also get some pain on the right side of my chest when I move certain ways.

    Anyone get anything like that?
  18. New Member
    Chemist2234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    190
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    5.39%

    my sternum pops all the time prolly 3-4 times a day...i just roll my shoulders back and it cracks and pops all the time...no pain...it feels good actually relieves pressure...saw a doc. about it a year ago, he said it was normal for this to happen with athletic and active people, he said he had seen it many times....i dont think you should have anything to worry about unless it hurts a lot.
  19. Registered User
    UNCfan1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,948
    Rep Power
    1068
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    88.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Savage View Post
    Guys, this is interesting.

    How would y'all describe this "pop"? Does it actually make a noise? Does it hurt?

    I've gotten a sudden pressure like sensation right at my sternum a couple of times before. It hits suddenly for like a second, then immediately goes away. It might come back a couple more times. I also get some pain on the right side of my chest when I move certain ways.

    Anyone get anything like that?
    For me it depends on how tight my chest feels. After dips it hurts to pop it, other times during the day its ok. It sounds the same as if I were to pop my fingers. No other pressure anywhere for me.

    Sometimes when I wake up in the morning it happens. Depends on how I lay in the bed.
  20. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,837
    Rep Power
    2469152
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by UNCfan1 View Post
    For me it depends on how tight my chest feels. After dips it hurts to pop it, other times during the day its ok. It sounds the same as if I were to pop my fingers. No other pressure anywhere for me.

    Sometimes when I wake up in the morning it happens. Depends on how I lay in the bed.
    Yea a few times if i'd sleep on my chest with my arms flared out i couldnt push myself up and it'd hurt really really bad. I freaked out a couple times real bad yelling and stuff because I couldnt bring my arms together, and then maybe 4 sec after freaking out it was almost back to normal. Then after about 2 mintues I was totally pain free.

    The freakouts were real bad, the wife would get real scared and got teary eyed one time. I felt like I was paralized with a burning sternum pain as soon as i'd wake up. Def. wasn't pleasent
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  21. New Member
    dpatterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    38
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    174
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    1.45%

    At one point several months ago I could pop mine by doing a Fly weight like motion. It would hurt sometimes but then it would not, but it would make a loud popping noise. One thing I also noticed was when I sneezed it would hurt my chest bad.

    It has since gone away and all I have been doing is exercising. You guys are already to that point but it seemed to help me.

    DP
  22. New Member
    Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    317
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    35.32%

    Yea I fly my arms backwards in a quick snap motion and pops my sternum. It has become normal to me just like popping my knuckles.
  23. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by dpatterson View Post
    At one point several months ago I could pop mine by doing a Fly weight like motion. It would hurt sometimes but then it would not, but it would make a loud popping noise. One thing I also noticed was when I sneezed it would hurt my chest bad.

    DP
    this is about where im at, it gone from being 1 or 2 times the day after chest to 4 or more times a day for the next 2-3 days and sometimes it releives pain from tightness other times the pop is so intense and loud that ITS painful just depends, but it has gotten to the point where tright now its painful if i sneeze.

    n savage it sounds like a small pop sometimes but then sometimes its touch and saounds like a crack almost like a really loud neck popping.... or back popping but no i have never had some corresponding rib pain....

    the only time i ever had rib pain was when i broke a rib having ground n pound sex with my current wifey while we were drunk... true story.
  24. Senior Member
    sogone2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,158
    Rep Power
    690
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    62.75%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    the only time i ever had rib pain was when i broke a rib having ground n pound sex with my current wifey while we were drunk... true story.


  25. Board Sponsor
    Sir Savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,084
    Rep Power
    1190
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    49.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post

    the only time i ever had rib pain was when i broke a rib having ground n pound sex with my current wifey while we were drunk... true story.
    Well one thing's for sure- you were definitely on the receiving end of the GnP from the way you describe it.

    Hopefully, you were able to get out and get some offense going.
  26. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    lol im not sure how it happened...... all i know is i felt a dull pop and the next day i couldnt breath when it came to sobering up.
  27. New Member
    bearmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    263
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    34.75%

    I have something similar. Sometimes it pops just once when I pull my shoulders back but sometimes it is really gnarly and sounds like the sternum is ripping apart from something. I can feel it almost slowly separating from the top of my sternum until it reaches the bottom. The accompanying sound is nasty. It is however very relieving and is not painful.
  28. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Not trying to be a **** whatsoever, but maybe this thread could get some more hits in the exercise science one? Maybe create another there?
    You might be able to get some more of the physical training guru's to take a peek at what's goin on... hope all works out for you though - and don't overlook seeing a doctor! Play it safe if you can.
  29. IONOI2007
    Guest
    IONOI2007's Avatar

    Hey is this thread still live!


    I have been having the similar sternum popping noise. I had been in contact with BigVrunga but there were not too many people on that site. I would like to know if others are still having this issue.

    Every week or so I see more hits of people who are now experiencing this pain. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this? I keep trying new things but can't say that anything has worked effectively. The Cissus Quadrangularis did help some but not enough.

    Originally my pain came from weighted dips. Not that I was ever the World's Strongest man but I had made good gains. I never knew that my range of motion would ultimately be my demise.
  30. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by IONOI2007 View Post
    I have been having the similar sternum popping noise. I had been in contact with BigVrunga but there were not too many people on that site. I would like to know if others are still having this issue.

    Every week or so I see more hits of people who are now experiencing this pain. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this? I keep trying new things but can't say that anything has worked effectively. The Cissus Quadrangularis did help some but not enough.

    Originally my pain came from weighted dips. Not that I was ever the World's Strongest man but I had made good gains. I never knew that my range of motion would ultimately be my demise.

    its funny, dips is what caused this for me as well.

    I no longer have the constant popping or incredible pain from getting a really big pop, but everyonce in a while while doing DB presses ill get a pop mid lift but no pain or anything.

    pretty much just stop doing dips dude, I dunno if dips will do this to everyone or maybe I was just going to heavy, too deap, or too high of volume but thats def what did it to me so I will stick to a variance of other exercises in order to accomplish the same developement I get with that one exercise. eventually I think your pain and poping will subside and youll be in the boat of occasional pops with the rest of the guys that Ive talked to bout having this in the past. Good luck and I feel your pain brother.
  31. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,424
    Rep Power
    57342
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    It's likely to be the result of intercostal ligaments playing the role of popping poops.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  32. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    It's likely to be the result of intercostal ligaments playing the role of popping poops.
    Ya, I dunno though its a ver profound pop sound and feels like its coming directly from the sternum... not only that but I was able to build up a pop... kinda like swinging your leg to build up a knee pop or having to try a couple time to pop a finger. Its much more similar to the gas release pops you get from other joints then ligiment pops Ive experienced before.
  33. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    luckily it has prectically all but subsided to when I work out and even then its no longer painful.
  34. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,424
    Rep Power
    57342
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    Ya, I dunno though its a ver profound pop sound and feels like its coming directly from the sternum... not only that but I was able to build up a pop... kinda like swinging your leg to build up a knee pop or having to try a couple time to pop a finger. Its much more similar to the gas release pops you get from other joints then ligiment pops Ive experienced before.
    Some intercostal ligaments lead directly into the sternum, so it could give the false illusion of sternal involvement. That could be the issue, but it's tough to say. If it is though, it's very benign. Either way, I'm glad to hear it's resolved though.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  35. Senior Member
    heebs10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Power
    1156
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    62.72%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    i use a huge range of motion... dipping very low (leaning forward on one set, tipping back on the other then pushing straight up on the last), dropping DB's below 90 degrees to get more pull on outside of pecks, setting fly machine on back settings to make tension even at my most relaxed position (prob not good at 295lb flys) and hitting decline and incline all in one night.... i honestly think its this extra stretch im forcing on my frame thats causing the popping and space to be there for gas to even gather... make sense?
    does your sternum actually move forward and/or backward or is there just a pop without actually significant movement forward/backward? based on the range of movement you describe, it seems more like your clavicle is articulating with your menubrium a little to much. your clavicle articulates with your scapulae and menubrium so extention, elavation, depression, ect of the shoulder to far is going to cause this over articulation of the clavicle with the menubrium. the menubrium(top part of sternum) should only move slightly, the body and ziphoid process should not articulate at all. given that the sternum protects some very vital organs and this problem still exits for you i think its best if you saw a doctor. hope this helps a little, not to sure how familiar your are with anatomy, you might already know all this.
    VO2 Max = 58.75mL/kg/min
    ~If Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week~
    Learn Teach Lead
  36. New Member
    KSMA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    184
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    74.18%

    I dont know if this helps yall out at all, but I had this problem alot when i was 18 and started lifting heavily. went to a doc to see what was going on, I would wake up every morning and my chest would make almost a combo of a pop/tear sound. Hurt like hell, but like 3 min later I felt ok. He said that when you do heavy chest exercises you can make minor tears to the tissue that connects your pec to the area around the sternum, and the popping is you stretching and tearing that scar tissue. He also said it takes some force to pop hence why a good solid stretch or throwing your arms back will pop it. He added the more/longer you lift, the more frequent it can occur.

    Granted I was 18 then, I dont know if he was right, and I still dont, but it sounds plausible at least. Bit of food for thought.
  37. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,424
    Rep Power
    57342
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by KSMA View Post
    I dont know if this helps yall out at all, but I had this problem alot when i was 18 and started lifting heavily. went to a doc to see what was going on, I would wake up every morning and my chest would make almost a combo of a pop/tear sound. Hurt like hell, but like 3 min later I felt ok. He said that when you do heavy chest exercises you can make minor tears to the tissue that connects your pec to the area around the sternum, and the popping is you stretching and tearing that scar tissue. He also said it takes some force to pop hence why a good solid stretch or throwing your arms back will pop it. He added the more/longer you lift, the more frequent it can occur.

    Granted I was 18 then, I dont know if he was right, and I still dont, but it sounds plausible at least. Bit of food for thought.
    Great post bro and very much a possibility. I would still probably attribute it to intercostal ligament issues though.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  38. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,204
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    68.85%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    wull it may just be... i do remember it was extra tender right where my pcc starts from the inside of my sternum... right where the muscle/ligament contects to the ribs/sternum... but it was a really crazy pop sensation and cery loud, suprised if thats from ligaments but not denying the very large possibility.
  39. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,424
    Rep Power
    57342
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    wull it may just be... i do remember it was extra tender right where my pcc starts from the inside of my sternum... right where the muscle/ligament contects to the ribs/sternum... but it was a really crazy pop sensation and cery loud, suprised if thats from ligaments but not denying the very large possibility.

    Poops, i feel the Murse calling your name!! Murse, Murse, Murse!! haha :squat:

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  40. New Member
    KSMA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    184
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    74.18%

    It always surprised me too. I think its the loudest pop my bodies ever made.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How many pills do you pop a day?
    By bigbadboss101 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-05-2014, 07:54 AM
  2. Popped the lid on my vial.. Question..
    By GeneTikz in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 05:23 AM
  3. House: I pretty much popped everything
    By firecross in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:46 PM
  4. Had a weird 'pop' on my collarbone
    By theSCHICK in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 06:29 PM
  5. Snap crackle popping shoulders
    By mcQ in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 11:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in