Cinnimon... added into oats?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
As of late, I've been destroying box after box of these "Carb Watchers" oatmeal packets. Not that I'm really watching my carb intake, but I was looking for added flavor but without 13g of sugar per packet (I was eating 2/3 packets at a time).

I have a tub of the good ol' Quaker Quick Oats downstairs, and I'm wondering what I can add to it to give me some flavor, in a healthy way. So I was thinking adding cinnimon... then I came to think, WHAT IS CINNIMON? From the google searches I found online, it's not sugar, and can actually negate the negative effects of sugar (read an article on how cinnimon can be beneficial to type II Diabetes patients).

Could not find though if it's a good idea to eat cinnimon every morning, as I do with oatmeal. And if any of you out there do this, could you tell me how much is a good amount to add? Say a teaspoon or two, something like that.

Or... of course... if there is even a better flavor to throw in there, please do tell! I love oatmeal too much...

Thanks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I add about a tsp with some splenda, vanilla, and almonds or cashews.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I add protein powder to my oats. thats interesting about cinnimon.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Cool, thanks for the replies... got some new things to try

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Cinnamon is great! Maybe some vanilla, as was mentioned. Fruit and/or a small amount of honey can go a long way.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cinnamon is a really good glucose disposal agent. I usually put a tsp in my oats every day. Taste really good mixed with butterbuds.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
i mix natty peanut butter in mine.
sometimes just raisons by themselves.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
I second the vanilla extract.

And yeah, cinnamon is a spice. Spices are generally calorie free, and this one tends to show regulating effects on insulin/blood sugar levels.

Maybe just add bits of fruit along with it, like blueberry or strawberry? Neither would be a bad combo with vanilla and cinnamon. Sure, you're getting a bit of sugar, but some fiber and a lot of nutrients along with it....

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cinnamon with chopped apple (apple juice will do in a pinch) is great in plain oatmeal.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I might just have to make a jungle-juice mix... put every single ingredient proposed in this thread into the same bowl of oatmeal
too many good ideas to choose just one, thanks again! this will keep oatmeal in my breakfast for months to come, for sure

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
i believe Cinnamon also regulates insulin. You can even get it in tablet form where the herbals are in most health food stores.