Whole food vs. whey

Rufio

Awards
In the short time I've lurked and poster here, I noticed that people by and large favor whole food regardless of macronutrient values. I just thought this was interesting, althought the article seems to be attempting to sell some products (given that there are some links to where you can buy supplements):

Whey Protein

"Which Protein Is Best?

Egg whites, turkey, chicken, beef, etc. have low biological values (BV) compared to the protein supplements listed here. Cooking causes cross-linking which is a form of oxidation. It causes an undesirable bond between nucleic acids and proteins (free radical activity). You are consuming damaged protein.

Well-processed whey hydrolysate (pre-digested) is by far the best protein on the market. It has the highest BV of any protein. BV is the measure that scientists use to rate how well nitrogen is absorbed into muscles. Studies show that whey hydrolysate is much more effective than free form amino acids, soy, egg whites, and casein proteins.

Whey contains all of the essential and nonessential amino acids and has the three branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) in the highest concentrations found in nature. The BCAAs make up one third of muscle protein. L-Leucine, L-Valine, and L-Isoleucine make up the BCAAs. L-Leucine is used up faster than L-Valine or L-Isoleucine. Therefore, L-Leucine should make up the highest content of the three in the protein supplement you choose. All of the supplements listed here have been formulated based on this science. Space your protein consumption throughout the day. Some people have a hard time digesting more than 30 grams of protein per sitting. And don't forget about our high whey protein cookies (15-18 gm/cookie) and bars (20-32 gm/bar).
"

I'm not really buying into all of this, but I'd like to see the hard facts that refute this guy's claims. I've seen others back up whey hydrolysate also, although I've also seen claims backing up cassein. Does anyone have some articles that are fundamental reading when it comes to this?

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Whole food proteins are bonded in such a way that your stomach expects it to be bonded, which I imagine avoids the protein being used as energy or whatever happens to useless extra aminos.

Humans cook food to break down proteins and bacteria to make food safer to eat, I find it hard to believe that this is a bad thing.

That said, I like hydro as a post workout protein, but I won't eat it for dinner or before bed...

Rufio

Awards
Ah, I was just wondering because of issues regarding how much whey a day is too much, whey vs. egg whites before or after HIIT, etc. I prefer to do a few days of HIIT then switch back to lifting, take a rest day, etc. instead of sustained bulks and cuts like most people here. For awhile I was relying heavily on bars and shakes, especially on cardio days.

Speaking of which, if I'm between classes and I can't just go back home, does this mean I'd be better off with a chicken breast sub from Subway as opposed to a Met-Rx bar?

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I hate subway, expensive, lots of refined carbs...
I reckon you are best with some canned goods, tuna, beans, etc...
Or jerky.

Or even bars would be fine, but if you were looking for other options...

Rufio

Awards
Even the wheat bread subs have high-glycemic carbs? And I pretty much have to get stuff on the go between classes, so jerkey and bars are about all on that list that I could manage.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if BV is the rating I'm thinking of but I read that whey is absorbed quicker than milk. eggs are even slower than milk. I've heard the combo of different protein sources is your best bet to have a constant flow of protein. dont remember where I read that but I'm sure someone smarter can chime in.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not sure if BV is the rating I'm thinking of but I read that whey is absorbed quicker than milk. eggs are even slower than milk. I've heard the combo of different protein sources is your best bet to have a constant flow of protein. dont remember where I read that but I'm sure someone smarter can chime in.
This is basically the idea behind protein blends. Every protein digests at a different rate and these can be used to our advantages. They can be somewhat manipulated w/ fiber and EFAs, but it is best to combine several proteins throughout the day. For example, I have eggs and casein for breakfast, poultry and milk for lunch, etc. The only time that I really eat one source is around my WO or if I am eating beef.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Speaking of which, if I'm between classes and I can't just go back home, does this mean I'd be better off with a chicken breast sub from Subway as opposed to a Met-Rx bar?
I think you could do A LOT worse than subway as long as you chose wisely and include lots of veggies. Easily do the sub over a prefab bar IMO.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I'm really digging whole foods these days.. I usually only take in whey for breakfast and pwo, but now I've replaced it with eggs/egg whites and yoghurt. I used to think whey was the "must have" supplement, but my opinion is changing, I think I could do away with none at all.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
ahhh. :p. this article sounds like an advertisement imo. ive always avoided tried to avoid whey as much as possible. im alergic to stuff in most of the whey so i try to limit whey to just my pwo meal. i read somewhere that if you cooked whey protien to a certian temperature that the compound of the protien changes or such. not too sure about the whole food protien tho. you would need to sustain extremely high heat in order for that to happen still tho.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I think whey protein is underestimated when compared to whole foods, although you do need whole foods, I dont see a problem with getting half your protein intake from shakes. I remember coming across someone on some forum awhile ago who was a vegeterian and no dairy bodybuilder and this guy had some good mass, I think he got like 90% of his protein from soy isolate.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think whey protein is underestimated when compared to whole foods, although you do need whole foods, I dont see a problem with getting half your protein intake from shakes. I remember coming across someone on some forum awhile ago who was a vegeterian and no dairy bodybuilder and this guy had some good mass, I think he got like 90% of his protein from soy isolate.
Yeah he was on the 1fast forums, but I think he was genetically gifted, in reality I don't see men with alot of mass consuming a vegitarian diet. I tried for a month and I lost about 15lbs.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
in reality I don't see men with alot of mass consuming a vegitarian diet. I tried for a month and I lost about 15lbs.
How did your veg diet specs compare to your non-veg diet? Vegetarian diets typically have a lower calorie density and if don't compensate for it by eating more your gains will decrease (or losses will increase).

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How did your veg diet specs compare to your non-veg diet? Vegetarian diets typically have a lower calorie density and if don't compensate for it by eating more your gains will decrease (or losses will increase).
I was down 500 calories a day suprisingly, I did use flax oils and other oils to give me some high dense calories. Its just the protien wasn't there. I used complete protien's like rice and beans but I shed too much weight. My body never felt worse my muscles were always sore. I remeber carrying my bookbag around college and my forearms and traps felt like they were going to tear.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
You're better off with an MRP than subway. Lean Mass Matrix or Micellean are much better options. Rely on food as much as possible. Whole foods are more filling and they taste better

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Biological value is an overrated rating system on various protein sources.

Anyone who has to drink milk is still a child, without any experience in the matter of right and wrong. Solid food, on the other hand, is for adults, who through experience are able to distinguish between good and evil.