How much protein can the body absorb an hour

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering how much protein should i take in an hour, or, whats the max amount of protein in grams i should eat an hour or per meal? I try to aim for about 280-300grams a day, but at the same time, i dont wana eat 100grams in one meal if my body cant absorb that much in one go?

is there a general rule of what i should limit it to in a period of time?

thanks!

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
I only go over 40-50g in one meal if i just worked out really hard and haven't had a big meal yet that day. Most of my meals end up being around 20-30g.

I weigh 180lbs at 9% bf.

I've heard people say 40 is the limit, but i think any limit is kind've stupid. I'm sure it varies depending on activity and prior intake.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the same boat, I do about 25-30g a meal.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are those in whole foods containing that many protein grams or whey/casein/soy/egg shake containing that many protein grams? big difference i'd think.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
Whole food. Not too much of a shake guy. I usually will only use a (whey) shake right after exercise when theres nothing really around to eat. And I try to chew something too, to get my body ready to digest some food.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
Everyone probably has different limitations for what is the proper amount of nutrients per meal before some is wasted or stored as fat.

I read a story once about someone eating all their protein in a single meal every day, and still being able to gain strength and muscle mass. But it might just be a story.

I put my faith in what my gut tells me. If I can go 60 grams or more of protein for a meal without feeling like it's a burden to keep putting food in my stomach, then I'll do that. Otherwise I usually start with a 30-40g protein base from egg/meat with each one of my 6 meals. If it's a shake, I might use 50-60g since it's so easy to get down.

If you just spread out your total intake requirement over all meals, it's the safest thing you can do.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
I pretty much agree, except I'd eat more post workout vs. other meals.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on what kind of supps your taking.....if you get my drift.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I think it would be most helpful to have an idea what your PTOR is.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
I read a story once about someone eating all their protein in a single meal every day, and still being able to gain strength and muscle mass. But it might just be a story.
Intermittent Fasting. The theory is that it triggers life extension genes (sirtuins) and preserves LBM, reduces fat, and still enables strength gains. Many anecdotal reports of success on another board.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Impossible question to answer. I personally mix shakes with 90 grams of protein and feel fine on them. I've tried as low as 40 but can tell a diffrence when I bump it up to 90.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
Intermittent Fasting. The theory is that it triggers life extension genes (sirtuins) and preserves LBM, reduces fat, and still enables strength gains. Many anecdotal reports of success on another board.
No, I wasn't referring to that or any fasting technique. The story I read was just about all protein being consumed in a single meal, and no other limitations on additional, non-protein meals.

As for Intermittent Fasting, my personal anecdotal report is that it's a terrible diet. I tried eating only one large meal per day in the evening, just for fun and for the challenge. Well, I did do it for 2-3 months. My strength was stagnate. My LBM was probably preserved, but I felt a little fatter than before. I felt much better to switch back to 6 meals per day after that diet, and once I do so, I started progressing again in strength and lean mass.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I remember there was a myth about the body only being able to use 25grams of protein per meal. Anyways a steak is about 80grams of protein and Id hate to think the body just wastes that. But I do know the body partitions nutrients better after a workout.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
Yeah, it doesn't have to be done all in one meal to be IF. I personally will just try to go hungry every now and then.

For example, I might eat my last meal at 4pm, then not eat again til breakfast. I find overnight to be the best time to be fasted.

Other times i'll skip breakfast and wait til lunch time or so. And i always exercise hungry. (this is not a specific amount of time that i wait, more a feeling. although it usually is more than 3 hours before exercise.)

hope that wasn't a threadjack.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wondering how much protein should i take in an hour, or, whats the max amount of protein in grams i should eat an hour or per meal? I try to aim for about 280-300grams a day, but at the same time, i dont wana eat 100grams in one meal if my body cant absorb that much in one go?

is there a general rule of what i should limit it to in a period of time?

thanks!
I found an actual medical study that deals with this question

http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/277/5/G935

Seems like anything more than 25g is will likely be wasted, which has me rethinking my eating schedule. The excerpt

Amounts of 5.73% and 35.10% (P < 0.005) of cooked and raw test meal, respectively, escaped digestion and absorption in the small intestine.
The test meal was 25g of egg protein. So even in best case scenario, 1g of the 25g went out. The 35% is for cooked eggs, which would mean that 8ish grams are wasted. The hard part to tell from this study is whether that is truly maximum amount in or just general loss from bioavailability.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
Well, how much did they weigh? And did they exercise?

Otherwise, I think 25g to be a pretty reasonable amount...

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
so say i try and limit my meals to 20-30g to be safe

well if i need say 260g of protein a day doesnt that mean i should be having like 8-12 small meals a day?
that wouldnt be a problem for me just means my 6 meals atm ide split them, ide eat half now and half again in an hour?

also, this ~25 or even ~40 that ive read in other places, whats the time period though, they say eat that in one meal and no more, but how long do u wait minimum before ur next meal? i wana know whats the max ur body can absorb in like an hour or 2 hours

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Interesting.

I found an actual medical study that deals with this question

http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/277/5/G935

Seems like anything more than 25g is will likely be wasted, which has me rethinking my eating schedule. The excerpt

The test meal was 25g of egg protein. So even in best case scenario, 1g of the 25g went out. The 35% is for cooked eggs, which would mean that 8ish grams are wasted. The hard part to tell from this study is whether that is truly maximum amount in or just general loss from bioavailability.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I thought afew years ago that was common knowledge amongst bodybuilders, hence the reason most protein shakes only contain 25grams of less of protein, and another reason to split your protein into smaller meals. But last I heard before this thread was it wasnt true, so I am sure theres a newer study somewhere contradicting that one.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Found it
Protein pulse feeding improves protein retention in elderly women -- Arnal et al. 69 (6): 1202 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

It basicly says that when you starve your body of protein throughout the day the body can utilize it better. In other words pulse feeding protein once or twice per day is better than spreading out protein throughout the day.

In the study they were feeding one group protein 4 times a day, and the other group the same amount of protein but in one meal per day.

Edit:
That study was on elderly women, this study shows it makes no diffrence in young women.
Protein Feeding Pattern Does Not Affect Protein Retention in Young Women -- Arnal et al. 130 (7): 1700 -- Journal of Nutrition

But here is one suggesting pulsing is better for younger and elderly women.
Protein turnover modifications induced by the protein feeding pattern still persist after the end of the diets -- Arnal et al. 278 (5): E902 -- AJP - Endocrinology and Metabolism

I am gonna haveto find one that is related to weight training.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
That could make it a tad difficult. Yeah try and get one for young males bodybuilding because I was thinking of spreading my protein intake out like every 2hours take in like 30 grams or so

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps consuming more protein as casein will mitigate any limitations in assimilation due to it's slower digestion...?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps consuming more protein as casein will mitigate any limitations in assimilation due to it's slower digestion...?
I dont think it would make much diffrence, casein takes 2 hours to digest while whey takes 1 hour, I might be off but its not a major diffrence.

I remember reading an article where someone got the idea of being hooked upto a BCAA drip 24/7 and then found out its better to pulse.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I dont think it would make much diffrence, casein takes 2 hours to digest while whey takes 1 hour, I might be off but its not a major diffrence.

I remember reading an article where someone got the idea of being hooked upto a BCAA drip 24/7 and then found out its better to pulse.
Pulsing the protein does seem more intuitive to me. But thinking about going on a constant BCAA drip, that's either dedication or OCD.

Interesting to hear you say that about casein, I thought I remembered hearing it was much longer. I don't know what all the hype surrounding taking casein before sleeping is about if there's not a major difference. I can't seem to find any specific numbers right now, though, about how long after consumption the casein is still breaking down and providing aminos into the blood.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
~70-80 grams per meal, 7 meals. i don't believe it's coincidence that the bigger guys are the ones eating the bigger meals. your body will adapt to whatever you do to it in most cases. jumping straight from 30 grams a meal to 70 grams per meal will most likely have a good deal wasted, but a gradual increase over time and consistency will make all the difference IMO.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Found it
Protein pulse feeding improves protein retention in elderly women -- Arnal et al. 69 (6): 1202 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

It basicly says that when you starve your body of protein throughout the day the body can utilize it better. In other words pulse feeding protein once or twice per day is better than spreading out protein throughout the day.

In the study they were feeding one group protein 4 times a day, and the other group the same amount of protein but in one meal per day.

Edit:
That study was on elderly women, this study shows it makes no diffrence in young women.
Protein Feeding Pattern Does Not Affect Protein Retention in Young Women -- Arnal et al. 130 (7): 1700 -- Journal of Nutrition

But here is one suggesting pulsing is better for younger and elderly women.
Protein turnover modifications induced by the protein feeding pattern still persist after the end of the diets -- Arnal et al. 278 (5): E902 -- AJP - Endocrinology and Metabolism

I am gonna haveto find one that is related to weight training.
any young or elderly women in this thread?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I take casein for its calcium more than anything else and taking it at night goes well with taking my ZMA in the morning.

I think if the body can store all the fat and calories from fast food in one sitting, than the body can absorb large amounts of protein in one sitting.

Meat takes a while to digest so its not like you will start peeing nitrogen from a high protein meal unlike consuming 100grams of hydrowhey.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I aim for 30 grams every 2-3 hours. no less then 2 and no more then 3. keep it the same. and i try to consume 25% of my daily protien after my workout

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
i have read somewhere 32grms/hour. but i cannot remember the reference for this.

Rufio

Awards
I think I read somewhere that cassein takes 8 hours to absorb and even meats take a few hours. That's why cassein is valued for anti-catabolic effects before bed time I believe. Note that I don't have an official source for either claim; just sayin' what I remember.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
I aim for 30 grams every 2-3 hours. no less then 2 and no more then 3. keep it the same. and i try to consume 25% of my daily protien after my workout
That sounds about right. I never went over 40g for every 2 hours and it worked for me. That was going natural though. I would say if you were taking steriods you could chew through a hell of lot more than that.

mcneely011

Awards
I think I read somewhere that cassein takes 8 hours to absorb and even meats take a few hours. That's why cassein is valued for anti-catabolic effects before bed time I believe. Note that I don't have an official source for either claim; just sayin' what I remember.
the 8 hours refers to how long after ingestion there were elevated blood amino acid levels.