Pink Salmon in a can

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
theres all this talk about eating eggs / egg whites etc but i havent seen anyone mention buying canned tuna or salmon? i understand (correct me if im wrong) eating a lot of tuna might not be good due to the mercury levels but ive been told salmon is fine

is it a good source of protein like eggs / beef / lamb / kangaroo etc? its pretty cheap to buy and theres 21grams of protein per 100grams or per 3.5oz

seems to me like its a good way to meet ur daily requirements?

what do you guys think? anyone else who does this?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep, salmon is great. I usually eat it at least 2-3x a week. Great source of protein, low in carbs, and helps you get those EFA's in thru dietary means. Defenitly a good idea to add to any diet.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mercury is a concern.
As with most seafood, mercury is always a concern. However, fresh salmon is usually listed as low average and canned salmon, which he is referring to, has minute amounts according to sources(not detectable).

A website for safety margins and calculated amounts:

http://www.gotmercury.org/

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Mercury is not a concern for wild caught Alaskan salmon they are not very longlived before they are harvested. Large fish such as swordfish and giant tuna are much more suspect for toxins. Farmed salmon is full of broadspectrum antibiotics, dyes to color the meat, genetic manipulation and the methods of raising farmed fish are very detrimental to the environment, along with the fantastic protein content wild salmon are a rich source of omega 3 fats and buying WILD caught alaskan salmon helps preserve a way of life for fishermen instead of a corporation I can go on and on but this is not the place, there are great sources to have alaskan seafood shipped right to your door without having to rob a bank to do it, anyone can pm me and I'd be more than happy to point them in the right direction.

Go Wild Eat Alaskan

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
If you test canned wild salmon - it would be ND.

If you test farmed canned salmon - I bet it's similar to canned tuna.

The issue is farmed vs. wild (run-off into the ponds).

After reading your link, Grimace, and some others I found on Google - I'd say wild canned salmon is fine.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Farm raised tastes a lot better than the wild though. I can get pretty fresh seafood here in Maine though. That is if I want to spend the money.

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Farm raised tastes a lot better than the wild though. I can get pretty fresh seafood here in Maine though. That is if I want to spend the money.
Have you ever had fresh or well taken care of frozen wild salmon? That is the problem with the industry for a long time the only fish that would make it to the lower 48 was our bottom of the barrel unbled uniced fish, I would bet almost anything that in a taste test my 8 month old wild caught dressed at sea flash frozen sockeye would blow the doors off any farmed frankenfish!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you ever had fresh or well taken care of frozen wild salmon? That is the problem with the industry for a long time the only fish that would make it to the lower 48 was our bottom of the barrel unbled uniced fish, I would bet almost anything that in a taste test my 8 month old wild caught dressed at sea flash frozen sockeye would blow the doors off any farmed frankenfish!
There are plenty of seafood places around here that I can get fresh Salmon from. I just never have. I have purchased it from the supermarket as farm raised but thats about it. I could go down to the coast and get fish practically off the boat. I don't eat seafood too much, when I purchase Salmon I get it at BJ's wholesale club frozen. Its Aqua Farms brand. Either of sometimes I get the frozen "Wild Fillets" at Wal-Mart. Pretty pathetic I guess when I live in a state famous for Lobster and Seafood. I probally should try some different fish. I don't even think I could Salmon that wasn't farm rasised in this state. Come to think of it Salmon are on the endangerd species list and it is illegal to fish for them here. I saw that on the news. I just don't pay much attention to all this, so take what I say about this with a grain of salt!.

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Atlantic salmon is unavailable for wild harvest etc. We are extremely spoiled up here and everyone does have their own opinion of course. I eat salmon at least 2-3 times per week on average and it was the first solid food that both my daughters ever ate. Shipping is such a concern and the big mega stores are more concerned about profits so they target the lesser quality species of wild caught fish, they are not really a lesser quality just their durability making it from the deck of a boat to the customer is not as strong, ie a sockeye salmon is much firmer than a pink, that is why most pink salmon goes into cans and sockeye are filleted and frozen. Its all good though.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmm, seems that mercury content in both farm and wild harvested salmon are nill for both, but the PCB content in farmed is pretty large. Thanks for bringing this back to light for me bering. Seems like most get consumed with the mercury side of seafood that they forget of all the other crap that could go wrong. PCB's and salmon is something I had litterally forgotten about.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
It's because you eat too many Big Macs, Grimace. It's turned your brain to fat... :food:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The brain is 60% fat.

Brain farts on the other hand is a whole other animal.... to many fruit salads.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys sounds like its worth eating then
i thought getting my 1.5grams per lb of bodyweight could be a tad hard but i think its pretty achievable with a worked out eating plan, just gotta look into stuff like proteins from plants like nuts or sunflower kernels etc, how much max ide want to take that in a day (its not as effective as meat/egg protein) but i guess if u cant find protein elsewhere u gotta turn somewhere

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can easily meet your protein goals by consuming lean choices of chicken, salmon, steaks and a good protein shake. The nuts would add negligable amounts of protein but are great for adding in some healthy fats. Look into some almonds, walnuts, naturaly peanut butter, etc.

This website might help you with your meal planning goals.

http://www.fitday.com/

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure it's fine but I live in the pacific northwest and it just seems criminal to buy canned salmon when fresh is available year round.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
ah well im out here in south east australia, dont know how much fresh salmon from the store costs or from the butcher ide have to look into it but either way this has good protein, is easy to eat and is cheap as chips im happy

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
Ouch! that calculator just let me know I eat to much fish each week, my mercury level must be pretty high. I eat salmon once in a while but it is not my favorite fish. I eat Cod about 3 times a week, and tuna another 3 times or so, and I eat Maryland Blue crab all summer long, is there anyway to combat the mercury level (targeted detoxification of mercury)?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cut back the consumption of fish, or go a week or so without it. That's the only thing I can think to do.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i wonder if there is anything else you can do or supplement for the mercury levels....?

i eat canned tuna, fresh raw ahi (tuna), raw seafood, and salmon quite often. Canned tuna like everyday.

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
Seems like GSH, Se, MSM, NAC, and (dare I say) Poseidon (B6, Vit. C, Zinc) are good for a detox protocol.
Thanks for the link, I take poseidon and eat a ton of garlic, hopefully that is enough! I love eating fish cant get enough of it!

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
It also comes in the foil pouches now! And a way better source for omega threes.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Sorry - but I have a VERY hard time believing Poseidon will help with a heavy metal.

It's a good supp - but come on.

You need a chelating agent - like EDTA - to remove heavy metals.
(Although - carnosine was reported in an article Ubi posted to help remove them. I'd imagine this is slower than something like EDTA.)

Grunt76 swears by collodial gold or silver. Not seen any data on that helping remove heavy metals - but EDTA certainly has the molecular structure right to chelate a metal ion.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
Sorry - but I have a VERY hard time believing Poseidon will help with a heavy metal.

It's a good supp - but come on.

You need a chelating agent - like EDTA - to remove heavy metals.
(Although - carnosine was reported in an article Ubi posted to help remove them. I'd imagine this is slower than something like EDTA.)

Grunt76 swears by collodial gold or silver. Not seen any data on that helping remove heavy metals - but EDTA certainly has the molecular structure right to chelate a metal ion.
i have to agree with this one. . .