post workout carbs

  1. New Member
    insane lifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    137
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    4.03%

    post workout carbs


    I have read that you should consume a sports drink of some sort post work out. Should you still do this if you are on a cutter.

  2. New Member
    SMOKEPALADIN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    313
    Rep Power
    264
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    50.84%

    I prefer oats versus a sports drink post w/o good for a cutter or bulk.
  3. New Member
    ManInTheBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    239
    Rep Power
    213
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    89.39%

    I've seen/had the best results from using vitargo. You should use it no matter what.
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,722
    Rep Power
    1317322
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    28.41%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Lots of people use low GI carbs (usually oats) after a WO, but WMS/vitargo are getting a very strong following as of late.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  5. New Member
    SMOKEPALADIN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    313
    Rep Power
    264
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    50.84%

    I was looking at Virtago and the cost$$ seems high 45$ for 25 servings and the NP Kwick Karb which looks to be the same thing is only about 20$ for 25 servings. Is virtago that much better than the Kwick karb version?
  6. New Member
    smalls556's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    116
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    11.54%

    i like to down around 40g dextrose immediatley, or a little less if im cutting then 15 min later i do 2 cups water, 2 scoops ON whey, and 2 cups oatmeal in a blender works awesome.
  7. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by insane lifter View Post
    I have read that you should consume a sports drink of some sort post work out. Should you still do this if you are on a cutter.
    What kinda carbs (if any) is your body getting prior to your workout? If you eat some oats or a sweet potato 45 minutes or so pre-workout, there's really no need take carbs post-workout, as the pre-workout carbs are still processing in your system. I imagine your concern is the amounts of sugar in sports drinks, which can be detrimental when cutting (especially if you're doing a ketogenic diet).

    What's really beneficial about a sports drink is the electrolytes, vitamins and minerals. Perhaps you should check out http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/1244/poseidon.html.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  8. New Member
    insane lifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    137
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    4.03%

    Sinner you are correct, I dont want all that sugar, and definetly not on a cutter. I checked out the link you posted and I think I will be trying this product. Looks like a great product and seems pretty cost effective also. I think I will try it and see how it goes. Thanks for the info bro.
  9. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by insane lifter View Post
    Sinner you are correct, I dont want all that sugar, and definetly not on a cutter. I checked out the link you posted and I think I will be trying this product. Looks like a great product and seems pretty cost effective also. I think I will try it and see how it goes. Thanks for the info bro.
    Been thinking of picking it up myself. Workin' 2005 (he sometimes posts on these boards) is a great guy, and the owner of that company. A lot of board members swear by this stuff. If anything, it's got a pretty wicked formulation.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  10. New Member
    dalvare1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    129
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    57.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    What kinda carbs (if any) is your body getting prior to your workout? If you eat some oats or a sweet potato 45 minutes or so pre-workout, there's really no need take carbs post-workout, as the pre-workout carbs are still processing in your system. I imagine your concern is the amounts of sugar in sports drinks, which can be detrimental when cutting (especially if you're doing a ketogenic diet).

    What's really beneficial about a sports drink is the electrolytes, vitamins and minerals. Perhaps you should check out http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/1244/poseidon.html.
    I would have to disagree here. You should still take in carbs after your workout even if you are on a cutter. WMS is a good option because your cutting and insulin is a concern. ee what im saying?
  11. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by dalvare1 View Post
    I would have to disagree here. You should still take in carbs after your workout even if you are on a cutter. WMS is a good option because your cutting and insulin is a concern. ee what im saying?
    No, I don't see what you are saying. All you said is that you should still take in carbs post-workout, and to take WMS. Who gives a crap what carbs are in your stomach when there's carbs in your bloodstream?

    Last I checked WMS is a high glycemic carbohydrate, why would this lower insulin?
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  12. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    804
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    11.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Last I checked WMS is a high glycemic carbohydrate, why would this lower insulin?
    This product seems to have a reputation for not requiring insulin for uptake. Does not sound logical to me but whatever...

    What the person is suggesting, is that since elevated insulin levels may contribute to fat gain, WMS will provide energy without adversely adding to adipose tissue.
  13. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    804
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    11.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by insane lifter View Post
    I have read that you should consume a sports drink of some sort post work out. Should you still do this if you are on a cutter.
    I would recommend that you eat/drink some sort of meal containing some carbs around your W/O (before, during, or after.) If you are cutting then make the meal smaller (ie less calories). IMO the rest is window dressing.
  14. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11892
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.16%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    This product seems to have a reputation for not requiring insulin for uptake. Does not sound logical to me but whatever...

    What the person is suggesting, is that since elevated insulin levels may contribute to fat gain, WMS will provide energy without adversely adding to adipose tissue.
    Yeah, let's not bring the WMS battles in here. There's plenty of threads that have beaten that to the ground.

    I guess right now we are just making assumptions as to how insane lifter's cutting plans look. I will agree that pre and post workouts are probably the best times to take in carbs; however, IMO taking in slow-carbs pre-workout leads to a better workout in the gym, and since the carbohydrates are still going to be in your system by the end of the workout, there's no rush for post-workout carbs replenishment.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  15. New Member
    insane lifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    137
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    4.03%

    Hey, sinner. My pre-work out meal usually is 20-23 grams of whey protein and corn flakes with skim milk. P/WO is 40 or so grams of whey protein,oats and water made into a shake. The rest of my diet is pretty basic, tuna,grilled chicken breast,fat free cottage cheese and egg whites. I have came to the conclusion, from the info I have received here that I dont need that post work out sports drink. Thanks for the info bro.
  16. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33560
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    82.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I take in dextose postraining. Recently ive been doing a fruit shake. Banana, strawberries, 2 cups skim mixed with my whey iso-100. I dont want to get in a big debate here. I think the only time to get sugary carbs in is postraining and or if your working outside all say long doing physical work.

    Lane Norton said something about dont take in fruitjuice(this would be fruits too right?) because it has frutose in it.

    anyways whatever Im doing is working well for me.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  17. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    804
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    11.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    Lane Norton said something about dont take in fruitjuice(this would be fruits too right?) because it has frutose in it.
    His reasoning for this is probably along the lines of fructose requiring metabolizing to glucose in the liver before being usable as carbohydrate and so is not IMMEDIATELY available to muscle.

    It will get into the bloodstream, it just takes a little longer. As you can see it just heads back to the low vs high GI debate. Don't forget to factor in that fruit has some great micro-nutrients; dextrose has, well, you get the picture...
  18. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33560
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    82.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post

    It will get into the bloodstream, it just takes a little longer. As you can see it just heads back to the low vs high GI debate. Don't forget to factor in that fruit has some great micro-nutrients; dextrose has, well, you get the picture...
    Yeah Thats why I take it because I dont eat fruits any other time of the day(unless Im doing heavy physical work and Ill have half an apple, or orange or banana with a protein bar) but other than this the only time I take it in is post training because of the health benifits of fruits. Ill take sacificing a lil absorpation for the health benifits of fruits.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  19. Elite Member
    borobulker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,564
    Rep Power
    932799
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    84.26%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    i have tried every variation as many of you have. i will have 30g WMS w/ 6g Creatine Mono and 20g BCAA @ about 3/4 through my workout... When i get home i will have a 40g Whey shake w/ Oats and a little PB and a little natural fruit preserves...

    seems to work for me pretty well...

    good luck guys
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Post workout carbs??
    By AMTorres in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
  2. post workout carbs- crucial yes or no
    By small_guy in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
  3. post workout carb recipes (healthy)
    By Mrs. D in forum Recipes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2007, 03:19 AM
  4. post workout carbs
    By glenihan in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 11:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in