Phil's FitDay Log and Diet

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
I've been tracking my diet with FitDay for about 3 days now, which certainly isn't long term, but here's what I'm noticing:

I get about 2500 calories a day (I'm still gaining believe it or not)
I'm getting about 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight in protein
I'm getting about 2 grams per pound of bodyweight in carbs
and I'm getting 50-70 grams per day of fat.

I'm 29, 6'2 and 199 pounds. I have been steadily gaining. My issue the past couple of months is body fat - I am in the 15-16% body fat range. I can see I need more protein, as all sources point to 1 gram per pound for my protein intake, but do I need to CUT DOWN on carbs, or just ADD protein? I want to continue to gain muscle without putting on more fat. I guess thats always the goal.

Anybody got any tips? I tend to be ecto, but I have put on some great weight in the last 2 years (about 65 pounds, approx. 30-40 pounds of that muscle)

Jsouth

Jsouth

Awards
What sources are your carbs coming from? If your wanting to keep gaining like you are then keep them in your diet, you could try little by little taking out carbs and seeing what would keep you growing with out putting on fat. If you wanna loose the fat hike the protein and get those carbs down and you should start seeing some adequate loss. Keep up the good work man

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
Mainly rice and pasta and bread, but sometimes its sugar, in things like tea or pasta sauce.

For protein its usually chicken milk or protein powder. (Not against beef or other sources - just havent gone shopping this week yet lol)

Any suggestions on the protein, or just eat more meat and more shakes?

Jsouth

Jsouth

Awards
For protein I would add some eggs, tuna and some turkey. You can make great gains with the protein you are using but I have always found better results with switching up my protein sources. If you are trying to cut try using alot of oatmeal as a carb source, it will burn alot longer then most carb sources and keep you full during a time of caloric deficit.

precious_roy

Awards
I've been tracking my diet with FitDay for about 3 days now, which certainly isn't long term, but here's what I'm noticing:

I get about 2500 calories a day (I'm still gaining believe it or not)
I'm getting about 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight in protein
I'm getting about 2 grams per pound of bodyweight in carbs
and I'm getting 50-70 grams per day of fat.

I'm 29, 6'2 and 199 pounds. I have been steadily gaining. My issue the past couple of months is body fat - I am in the 15-16% body fat range. I can see I need more protein, as all sources point to 1 gram per pound for my protein intake, but do I need to CUT DOWN on carbs, or just ADD protein? I want to continue to gain muscle without putting on more fat. I guess thats always the goal.

Anybody got any tips? I tend to be ecto, but I have put on some great weight in the last 2 years (about 65 pounds, approx. 30-40 pounds of that muscle)
Holy crapzilla! You are 6'2" 199, and ecto and can bulk on 2500 calories a day? Man I'm the same size and it takes me twice that to bulk. Wierd.

Egg whites are great as a protein source. Real food sources are usually better than whey shakes (sans pre or post workout) but it depends on what you have time for.

Carb sources look okay provided you are eating whole grain pasta and bread. Like Jsouth said oats are always good for their thermic effect.

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
I just have REALLY hard time with "plain oatmeal" as opposed to "instant oatmeal" - the mega sugared kind. I dont think the pasta is whole grain - its flour pasta (Barilla) - the regular kind.

I'll try the tuna and etc.

hardestgainer

hardestgainer

Awards
  • Established
why is the protein intake that low, should be bumped up to 1.5 at least.

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
why is the protein intake that low, should be bumped up to 1.5 at least.
Just having trouble because of lack of groceries. Went out and bought some ****in MEAT last night so that should improve.

hardestgainer

hardestgainer

Awards
  • Established
Just having trouble because of lack of groceries. Went out and bought some ****in MEAT last night so that should improve.
ahh, see. I thought u were planning it like that.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We do with what we have Phila...I've been there many times myself so I feel your pain.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course you could of just meant you were too lazy to buy groceries too and in that case forget what I said :)

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
a little of column a, a little of column b :) Normally I do OK money wise since I run my own business, but I bought too much **** that WASNT groceries lol