Post Workout Shake

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.61%

Post Workout Shake

Whats Good?

I drink Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey gold standard... but I'm told that I need some carbs in there as well... What do you all like for post workout shakes, and why?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.76%

you could just eat two bananas and be good to go. if you want to take the liquid route, you could do one of several things. pick up some bulk dextrose, add enough for 40-60 carbs, drink up with your protein. you could buy an all in one such as universal torrent, which has dextrose, malto, and vitargo. what i do is take two scoops pure vitargo with bcaa's, eaa's, and glutamine. then, 15-20 minutes later drink up my protein shake (has been blueberry gf pro). been working great, and definitely settles more easily than the dextrose. all depends on your budget on what route you should take. if you need advice let me know.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.61%

Budget isn't a huge concern.

Looking at my diet, just for today, with the FitDay program, heres what I have:

2,541 Calories (a little low for me)
    66 Grams / 23% Fat
    345 Grams / 50 % Carbs
    144 Grams / 23% Protein

and it looks like I need to cut down on carbs and stack up on protein a bit. I also only ate 3 meals today... mainly because I slept in today with it being a weekend day.

So I'd like something that I can drink after a workout, something premixed that I can just throw milk in, shake it up, and drink it. Then follow it up 30-60 min later with protein.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.49%

ground oats
  5. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Post WO should be in water. Faster absorbtion. I had the Isopure RTD before and it's good. I know they have a ZeroCarb formula. I'm goin to try and pick up some Malto/Dextro to mix PostWO and also will be on Anabolic Pump so carb intake is key.
  6. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

try kwik karb from nutraplanet. add in a scoop or two of that with 2 scoops of the ON whey and some bcaa's if you have them and youre good for post workout. I always eat a meal 1-1.5 hours after that.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.86%

whey + ground oats = yeah buddy

whey + ground oats + milk = YEAH BUDDAY

whey + ground oats + frozen strawberries + milk = WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.61%

Are ground oats the same thing as oatmeal?
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.82%

here is my shake after i work out

2 scoops whey
    4 egg whites
    1 cup otmeal
    1 cup yogart
    and milk as much as you like
  10. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.5%

I usually make a smoothie

Ice
    2 scoops vanilla whey
    3-4 strawberry's
    10-15 blueberry's
    1 packet plain oatmeal
    4oz NF Milk
    3-4oz Yogurt (Dannon Fit n' Light)

blend...
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.06%

I go along with Alan's WOOHOOO route:

1 scoop chocolate whey
    2 cups milk
    1 cup ground oats
    1 large banana

If you ground the oats fine enough it tastes like a banana-chocolate milk shake. Its quite yummy.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    whey + ground oats = yeah buddy

whey + ground oats + milk = YEAH BUDDAY

whey + ground oats + frozen strawberries + milk = WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!
    It doesn't matter whether they're ground or not does it, besides the fact that they're easier to drink when ground, right? I thought it was decided that particle size doesn't effect oats much.

I've been doing a whey shake and eating oats with it; adding a banana to that on high carb days.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.46%

I use the same protein you do for my post workout shake except I throw in a half cup of ground raw oats for carbs. Does the trick for me.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.61%

no one has answered this yet - are ground oats and oatmeal the same thing ?? Or is it oatmeal you throw into a food processor?
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.61%

no one has answered this yet - are ground oats and oatmeal the same thing ?? Or is it oatmeal you throw into a food processor?
  16. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.12%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PhilABowl View Post
    Yes its is oatmeal that you either put in the blender with everything else or pre grind it in a blender or a coffee grinder.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.61%

Sweet. On another note, I have been through several $20 blenders. I now have an $80 cuisinart that came with a frozen drink maker and cuisinart food processor attachment, purchased at Costco, and it is fantastic. It doesn't have that "cheap feel" of a ****ty blender. It also only has three settings - Low, High, and pulse. I dig that they think about it enough to realize nobody needs 12 different settings for a blender. and its powerful as **** also - when you put ice cubes in there, it REALLY makes crushed ice instead of slicing 1 ice cube in half and the rest being giant rocks.
  18. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Sweet. On another note, I have been through several $20 blenders. I now have an $80 cuisinart that came with a frozen drink maker and cuisinart food processor attachment, purchased at Costco, and it is fantastic. It doesn't have that "cheap feel" of a ****ty blender. It also only has three settings - Low, High, and pulse. I dig that they think about it enough to realize nobody needs 12 different settings for a blender. and its powerful as **** also - when you put ice cubes in there, it REALLY makes crushed ice instead of slicing 1 ice cube in half and the rest being giant rocks.
    for 80 bucks i woulda bought one of those magic bullets or whatever their called (and no im not talking about that thing under yo mama's pillow)
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.13%

I wonder if you can find finely ground oats at whole food stores...Have too look. Really dont want to burn up my blender which it gets that smokin smell when I grind up oats. Dont want to by coffee grinder either.
  20. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Get an oster that has a metal drive shaft. Walmart sells them for around $30. I've got one that has a glass "jug", and had it about 12 years now. It mostly gets used for crushing ice for margaritas + daquiris On other blenders, its the plastic drive mechanism that ususally goes, as the plastic can't handle that many impact hits indefinitely. With the glass jug its good for hi temps, so you can turn a soup that has chunks in it into straw drinkable while its still hot.

So if i'm doing a CKD, should I still try to get some small amount of carbs in post workout?
  21. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.47%

two scoops whey/1 cup of oats and water, sometimes i thrown a half cup of frozen berries
  22. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

i'm still a big believer in mass amounts of goat sperm...seriously try it.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2

Similar Forum Threads

1. Which is the better post-workout shake?
    By BOHICA in forum Bulking
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 03:34 PM
  2. Banana/Strawberry Post Workout Shake
    By blide in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 10:50 PM
  3. post workout shake?
    By dr.mattdogg in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-10-2003, 02:06 AM
  4. count calories from pre/post workout shakes?
    By pinoy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 12:19 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 07:56 PM