Honey as a sweetner

1. Registered User
    Answers

Honey as a sweetner

On most mornings I use honey to sweeten up my oats. Is this a good alternative to malodextrin/dextrose. I do use the dextrose from NOW every once in a while, but I just read that it can add fat. I don't want fat-fat not good

2. Registered User
    Answers

I'd say honey is the better route, since it's sweet, but doesn't have as high of a glycemic index.
    Or you could use an artificial sweetener which has an insignificant amount of calories.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Better still is Maple syrup
    •   

4. j24
    Answers

In my opinion honey is the most healthy sweetener cause it's natural and doesn't contain so much calories.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

I'd say honey. What about mixin' in some berries?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  256 lbs.
    Answers

most definitely! go for it
  7. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by peece View Post
    On most mornings I use honey to sweeten up my oats. Is this a good alternative to malodextrin/dextrose. I do use the dextrose from NOW every once in a while, but I just read that it can add fat. I don't want fat-fat not good
    Dextrose/Maltodextrin is a very poor sweetener. It is high GI and half as sweet as honey or sucrose so you need to use twice as much to get the same effect.

However honey is not a low calorie sweetener but it will not necessarily 'add fat'. Surplus calories lead to weight gain.

IMO the best natural source sweetener is fructose. Twice as sweet as sugar/honey and lower GI too.
  8. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

honey is the best because it is natural, as stated above. and the berries are a great one too, antioxidants and a natural sweetness. just depends on your taste. maple syrup? you'd have to find some all natural organic stuff for it to be comparable to honey
  9. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo15 View Post
    honey is the best because it is natural, as stated above. and the berries are a great one too, antioxidants and a natural sweetness. just depends on your taste. maple syrup? you'd have to find some all natural organic stuff for it to be comparable to honey
    That's the great thing about living here in Ontario; tons of Pure Maple Syrup to be had. Real stuff
  10. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    That's the great thing about living here in Ontario; tons of Pure Maple Syrup to be had. Real stuff
    send me some to oregon?
  11. Registered User
    Answers

send me some to oregon?
    I don't about where you live, but Costco stocks it in Ontario - 1L is $10CDN which is a great deal compared with most other stores.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

maple syrup? you'd have to find some all natural organic stuff for it to be comparable to honey
    What makes you say this? Maple syrup is as unadulterated as honey.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

Honey has health benefits that go beyond just calories and carbs.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by size View Post
    Honey has health benefits that go beyond just calories and carbs.
    what health benefits?
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  15. Registered User
    Answers

honey has alot of health benifets....i know its good for the immune system......i use honey in my green tea with lemon and lime
  16. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    IMO the best natural source sweetener is fructose. Twice as sweet as sugar/honey and lower GI too.
    THURSDAY, Dec. 15 (HealthDay News) -- Fructose, the sugar found in fruit, honey and the corn-syrup sweeteners used in many processed foods, may trick the body into thinking it''s hungrier than it really is, researchers report.

The findings could explain why sweet foods help boost obesity rates in the United States and elsewhere.

In their studies with rats, researchers at the University of Florida identified fructose as part of a biochemical chain reaction that causes weight gain and other characteristics of metabolic syndrome, the precursor to Type 2 diabetes.

Fructose can also cause an increase of uric acid levels in the blood, the Florida team found. This temporary rise in uric acid blocks the action of insulin, the hormone that regulates how body cells use and store the sugar they need for energy.

If increased uric acid levels occur frequently enough, features of metabolic syndrome may develop over time, the researchers said. These features include obesity, elevated blood cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.

The Florida researchers fed rats a high-fructose diet for 10 weeks. All of the rats experienced an increase in uric acid in the bloodstream and also went on to develop insulin resistance.

"When we blocked or lowered uric acid, we were able to largely prevent or reverse features of the metabolic syndrome," Dr. Richard Johnson, professor of nephrology and chief of nephrology, hypertension and transplantation at the university''s College of Medicine, said in a prepared statement. "We were able to significantly reduce weight gain, we were able to significantly reduce the rise in the triglycerides in the blood, the [rats''] insulin resistance was less and the blood pressure fell."

The research appears in the December issue of the journal Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology and in the online edition of the American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology.

More information

The American Heart Association has more about metabolic syndrome.
  17. Registered User
    Answers

fruit would be a better sweetner
  18. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Motomatt View Post
    THURSDAY, Dec. 15 (HealthDay News) -- Fructose, the sugar found in fruit, honey and the corn-syrup sweeteners used in many processed foods, may trick the body into thinking it''s hungrier than it really is, researchers report.

The findings could explain why sweet foods help boost obesity rates in the United States and elsewhere.

In their studies with rats, researchers at the University of Florida identified fructose as part of a biochemical chain reaction that causes weight gain and other characteristics of metabolic syndrome, the precursor to Type 2 diabetes.

Fructose can also cause an increase of uric acid levels in the blood, the Florida team found. This temporary rise in uric acid blocks the action of insulin, the hormone that regulates how body cells use and store the sugar they need for energy.

If increased uric acid levels occur frequently enough, features of metabolic syndrome may develop over time, the researchers said. These features include obesity, elevated blood cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.

The Florida researchers fed rats a high-fructose diet for 10 weeks. All of the rats experienced an increase in uric acid in the bloodstream and also went on to develop insulin resistance.

"When we blocked or lowered uric acid, we were able to largely prevent or reverse features of the metabolic syndrome," Dr. Richard Johnson, professor of nephrology and chief of nephrology, hypertension and transplantation at the university''s College of Medicine, said in a prepared statement. "We were able to significantly reduce weight gain, we were able to significantly reduce the rise in the triglycerides in the blood, the [rats''] insulin resistance was less and the blood pressure fell."

The research appears in the December issue of the journal Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology and in the online edition of the American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology.

More information

The American Heart Association has more about metabolic syndrome.
    No offense Matt, but so what?

The context of the original question was whether honey is a suitable sweetener for someone concerned about fat gain. Since weight gain is all about surplus calories, logically it makes sense to use an efficient sweetener (max effect/min cals). Of course a zero calorie sweetener like sucralose would be even better but somehow the direction of the thread moved towards 'natural/hea lthy' options.

The rats in that experiment were fed a 'high-fructose' diet. What does that mean? Is one or two teaspoons of berry sugar in a bowl of oatmeal a high fructose diet? Not likely. If on the other hand someone is consuming a half pound or more of the stuff per day, it is conceivable that there would be health risks. However I would expect that would be the case with any refined or concentrated sugar (fructose, sucrose, dextrose, or honey.)

Many beneficial or benign substances become toxic at high levels. One could infer from that article that one should stop eating all fruit since it contains fructose.
  19. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

honey does provide other benefits.

ex; i live in an area with really bad pollens during certain seasons, if i eat locally produced honey during these seasons it can help my allergies a lot because of this exposure.
  20. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gdbear65 View Post
    What makes you say this? Maple syrup is as unadulterated as honey.
    i'm sure the organic all natural stuff is. but out of habit, i usually find myself putting honey on more healthy foods; oats. where as i automatically associate syrup with pancakes and waffles; which i generally do not have the kind of time to prepare in a healthy manner. and thus avoid
  21. Registered User
    Answers

i'm sure the organic all natural stuff is. but out of habit, i usually find myself putting honey on more healthy foods; oats. where as i automatically associate syrup with pancakes and waffles; which i generally do not have the kind of time to prepare in a healthy manner. and thus avoid
    Pure Maple Syrup has more minerals than honey, for example it is a good source of manganese and zinc, and if you get No 1 grade light or extra light, it is less flavorful, so you can use it in a wider variety of foods. Check out this link for more details: World's Healthiest Foods - Maple Syrup
  22. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gdbear65 View Post
    Pure Maple Syrup has more minerals than honey, for example it is a good source of manganese and zinc, and if you get No 1 grade light or extra light, it is less flavorful, so you can use it in a wider variety of foods. Check out this link for more details: World's Healthiest Foods - Maple Syrup
    thanks for that link.

this one sounds good;
    Spread peanut butter on a piece of whole wheat toast, top with sliced bananas and then drizzle maple syrup on top for a sweet, gooey treat.
  23. Registered User
    Answers

Good info guys thanks a bunch!
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  216 lbs.
    Answers

Smile

i started using Stevia to sweeten my oatmeal. no calories and is sweeter then splenda or equal so i dont use as much, plus its all natural not chemicals
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Answers

You guys should check out agave nectar - I believe the glycemic index is ~27

-----------------
    What is Agave Nectar?
    Agave Nectar is a natural caloric sweetener with the lowest glicemic index obtained from the Agave plant that can be used to sweeten any type of beverage or food. Agave Nectar comes from the Agave Plants. The plants are in the same family as the Blue Agave, from which tequila is made.

Agave Nectar as a Sweetener:
    Only recently has it come in use as a sweetener. It has a low glycemic level and is a delicious and safe alternative to table sugar. Unlike the crystalline form of fructose, which is refined primarily from corn, Agave Nectar is sweet in its natural form.

This nectar does not contain processing chemicals. Even better, because it is sweeter than table sugar, less is needed in your recipes and meals. It can be most useful for people who are diabetic, have insulin resistance (Type II, non-insulin dependant) or are simply watching their carbohydrate intake.

Low Calorie Sweetener
    Agave Nectar is the recommended natural caloric sweetener in low calorie diets for reduction and weight control, mainly when it is added to non-acid foods and beverages. It might be used in less than quantity than sucrose or synthetic sweeteners, obtaining the same sweetness level with fewer calories.

In recipes, use about 75% less of this nectar that you would use of table sugar. ľ cup of Agave Nectar should equal 1 cup of table sugar. Due to its slow absorption by the human body, Agave Nectar works as intelligent caloric food, since it is absorbed according to the body needs.

Functional Properties
    Agave Nectar is the natural caloric sweetener with the lowest glicemic index. Under medical control it can be used by diabetic people (Type II, non-insulin dependant).

Due to its perfect sugars relation along with oligo-organics (characteristic of the Agave plant), Agave Nectar mixed with citric juices might be considered as a natural laxative, relieving constipation problems.

The Agave Nectar oligo-organic contents help the well functioning of gall bladder, helping to saponification of fats. Its oligo-organic contents also work against the blocking of arteries and veins due to high cholesterol levels.

Agave Nectar enhances flavors, keeping the perfect flavor for a longer period of time.

Agave Nectar has the same sugar proportions as found in the plant itself. Our processes do not include the use of synthetic resins for the clarifying and demineralization processes hence; we do not use numerals (ciphers) to show sugars proportions.

In recipes, use about 75% less of this nectar than you would use of table sugar. ľ cup of agave nectar should equal 1 cup of table sugar. For most recipes this rule works well.

Agave Nectar has met the "food exchange requirements" by the American Diabetic Association and American Dietetic Association for product labeling! The benefits that can be derived from using Agave Nectar as your sweetener are numerous: * Agave Nectar is low glycemic. It will not over stimulate the production of insulin.

* Agave Nectar does not contain processing chemicals.
    * Agave Nectar is safe and recommended for children.
    * Agave Nectar can be used for baking, cooking and anywhere else where you would normally use sugar or a chemical, artificial sweetener.
    * Agave Nectar is low calorie

History:
    Early inhabitants of the Americas discovered the many properties of the Blue Agave plant thousands of years ago. The plant was harvested for a variety of uses, including food, drink and clothing. It was not until recently, however, that the nectar from the plant was recognized for its exceptionally sweet properties. Today, the heart of the finest Blue Agave plants is harvested processed and made available as Agave Nectar by Molino Real.

Features:
    Agave Nectar is a delicious golden syrup composed of 90-percent fructose sugars and 10-percent glucose sugars respectively. Because fructose is 42 percent sweeter to the human brain than granulated sugar, less is needed to achieve the same level of sweetness. The less used, the fewer the calories consumed. Fructose is also a great deal easier to digest and use by your body than standard refined sucrose products or even the so-called "natural sugars" found in health food stores. Unlike fructose sweeteners that are produced chemically, Agave Nectar contains no sulfur dioxide, hydrochloric acid or other harmful toxins.
    High in natural fructose and nutrients, the Agave Nectar can be used to sweeten any food or beverage with fewer calories and greater flavor Agave Nectar is used successfully to:

* Flavor cereals
    * Fortify bread products
    * Sweeten nutrition bars
    * Enhance fruit concentrations
    * Sweeten desserts
    * Sweeten candy
    * Sweeten coffee or tea
    * Pour on pancakes and waffles

Agave Nectar is an exceptional very low glycemic index sweetener, certified organic and contains no chemicals. And yes, it is safe for kids!

Uses:
    The Agave Nectar with high content of natural fructose and nutrients can be used in the elaboration of:
    Pancakes
    Energy Bars
    Caramels and Candies
    Sweet Beverages
    Deserts
    Cereals
    Milk Shakes
    Bread
    Cookies
    Natural Syrups for hotcakes and waffles
    Jellies, marmalades, etc.

Itís an excellent choice to pour over

Fruits
    Yogurts
    Pancakes
    Waffles
    Cereal
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Answers

Agave nectar is kinda expensive though
  27. Registered User
    Answers

Where do find it Leggo?
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Answers

I'm sure you can get it online but I've gotten it from Sprouts, and have seen it At Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I think they carry it at any of those types of places
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Answers
  30. Registered User
    Answers

gracias
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Honey As Antioxidant
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1