sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
Caution: Some soft drinks may seriously harm your health
Expert links additive to cell damage

By Martin Hickman, Consumer Affairs Correspondent
Published: 27 May 2007

A new health scare erupted over soft drinks last night amid evidence they may cause serious cell damage. Research from a British university suggests a common preservative found in drinks such as Fanta and Pepsi Max has the ability to switch off vital parts of DNA.

The problem - more usually associated with ageing and alcohol abuse - can eventually lead to cirrhosis of the liver and degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's.

The findings could have serious consequences for the hundreds of millions of people worldwide who consume fizzy drinks. They will also intensify the controversy about food additives, which have been linked to hyperactivity in children.

Concerns centre on the safety of E211, known as sodium benzoate, a preservative used for decades by the £74bn global carbonated drinks industry. Sodium benzoate derives from benzoic acid. It occurs naturally in berries, but is used in large quantities to prevent mould in soft drinks such as Sprite, Oasis and Dr Pepper. It is also added to pickles and sauces.

Sodium benzoate has already been the subject of concern about cancer because when mixed with the additive vitamin C in soft drinks, it causes benzene, a carcinogenic substance. A Food Standards Agency survey of benzene in drinks last year found high levels in four brands which were removed from sale.

Now, an expert in ageing at Sheffield University, who has been working on sodium benzoate since publishing a research paper in 1999, has decided to speak out about another danger. Professor Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology and biotechnology, tested the impact of sodium benzoate on living yeast cells in his laboratory. What he found alarmed him: the benzoate was damaging an important area of DNA in the "power station" of cells known as the mitochondria.

He told The Independent on Sunday: "These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it: they knock it out altogether.

"The mitochondria consumes the oxygen to give you energy and if you damage it - as happens in a number if diseased states - then the cell starts to malfunction very seriously. And there is a whole array of diseases that are now being tied to damage to this DNA - Parkinson's and quite a lot of neuro-degenerative diseases, but above all the whole process of ageing."

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) backs the use of sodium benzoate in the UK and it has been approved by the European Union but last night, MPs called for it to investigate urgently.

Norman Baker, the Liberal Democrat chair of Parliament's all-party environment group said: "Many additives are relatively new and their long-term impact cannot be certain. This preservative clearly needs to be investigated further by the FSA."

A review of sodium benzoate by the World Health Organisation in 2000 concluded that it was safe, but it noted that the available science supporting its safety was "limited".

Professor Piper, whose work has been funded by a government research council, said tests conducted by the US Food and Drug Administration were out of date.

"The food industry will say these compounds have been tested and they are complete safe," he said. "By the criteria of modern safety testing, the safety tests were inadequate. Like all things, safety testing moves forward and you can conduct a much more rigorous safety test than you could 50 years ago."

He advised parents to think carefully about buying drinks with preservatives until the quantities in products were proved safe by new tests. "My concern is for children who are drinking large amounts," he said.

Coca-Cola and Britvic's Pepsi Max and Diet Pepsi all contain sodium benzoate. Their makers and the British Soft Drinks Association said they entrusted the safety of additives to the Government.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i stopped drinking soda 10 days ago. now im REALLY happy i did.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
and they wonder why there is an obesity epidemic :frustrate

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I really got to taper off. I am now at 1-2 a day.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
i had quit drinkin them for about 2 years then the last cycle i ran i craved soda's, cake and donuts. so i ended up drinkin a few soda's a week until i was like wtf am i doin.

DevilSmack

DevilSmack

Awards
^ I wonder if your craving for sugary foods and drinks was due to a serotonin depletion from the anabolic steroids. (sorry for getting off topic)

This is an interesting finding. I'm glad I have only drank 2 sodas a week for the last 4 years.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
^ I wonder if your craving for sugary foods and drinks was due to a serotonin depletion from the anabolic steroids.

This is an interesting finding. I'm glad I have only drank 2 sodas a week for the last 4 years.
ya it could be cause everytime i'm on cycle its like that i crave sugar.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I see a lot students at my school consume soft drinks all the time. Some consume 2-3 a day :(

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ya it could be cause everytime i'm on cycle its like that i crave sugar.
It could also be due to the nutrient repartitioning from the AAS. You body can store much more glycogen than normal and your blood sugar may get low as a result.

Chad

Chad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I see a lot students at my school consume soft drinks all the time. Some consume 2-3 a day :(
my niece kills about 4-6 a day. her mom cares nothing about eating healthy. her kids live off of cookies, soda and chips.
i try to chime in from time to time but the kids flip out if they have to eat normal food. its going to get ugly for them when they start getting fat.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It could also be due to the nutrient repartitioning from the anabolic steroids. You body can store much more glycogen than normal and your blood sugar may get low as a result.
Though that's definitely true, I have learned..the hard way..that most methyls that drive down lipid values also mess with serotonin levels.

In short, harsh methyls that cause the quasi-choleostasis that we all know about also drive me deep into depression. Upon looking into the primary lit, mostly from european sources, low cholesterol levels are directly linked with low serotonin and an increase in depression, aggression and other mental illnesses. The American medical establishment seems completely unaware of this or, IMO, is ignoring it to sell more statins.

Coupled with the serotonin crash that is possible during periods of hypoglycemia, it can make for some very unpleasant mood swings.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
my niece kills about 4-6 a day. her mom cares nothing about eating healthy. her kids live off of cookies, soda and chips.
i try to chime in from time to time but the kids flip out if they have to eat normal food. its going to get ugly for them when they start getting fat.
That sucks because kids develop their eating habits at a young age. Someone did a paper in one of my classes years ago which demonstrated that if you fed your kids in a healthy way and had them become physically active then they would stick with it as adults unlike kids who grew up on McDonald's and Pizza Hut.

I think that's a form of child abuse if you ask me. The thing is that it takes years for the effects to fully kick in. 4-6 soft drinks a day is insane. Whatever happened to water LOL ?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Though that's definitely true, I have learned..the hard way..that most methyls that drive down lipid values also mess with serotonin levels.

In short, harsh methyls that cause the quasi-choleostasis that we all know about also drive me deep into depression. Upon looking into the primary lit, mostly from european sources, low cholesterol levels are directly linked with low serotonin and an increase in depression, aggression and other mental illnesses. The American medical establishment seems completely unaware of this or, IMO, is ignoring it to sell more statins.

Coupled with the serotonin crash that is possible during periods of hypoglycemia, it can make for some very unpleasant mood swings.
Ever tried those cycles with SAM-e ? I used to get depressed when I cycled off ephedrine and it helped me a lot. It's also great stuff for liver protection and joints to a degree.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
It could also be due to the nutrient repartitioning from the anabolic steroids. You body can store much more glycogen than normal and your blood sugar may get low as a result.
ya thats true. this cycle i'm gonna find better ways to get my sugar other than dr. pepper and snickers cheescake. :blink:

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i only drink one soda a day and thats in the morning. no beer,milk,coffee,wine, and tea only water. now im not going to drink my one soda in the morining anymore

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
one of my friends is a power lifter and drinks around 3-4 cans of dr.pepper daily.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
i only drink one soda a day and thats in the morning. no beer,milk,coffee,wine, and tea only water. now im not going to drink my one soda in the morining anymore
You're crazy!beer= no no. clear liquor= i like once or 2x a month. Milk=EVERY FREAKIN' DAY! Coffee once or 2x a week. Wine=waste of time. soda= once a week, only moutain dew though. I would assume these same additives are in energy drinks? I'm going to look right now, glad im weaning myself of those now too. :woohoo:

one of my friends is a power lifter and drinks around 3-4 cans of dr.pepper daily.
Does he lift crazy though? rememebr if you burn more than you eat its ok....:thumbsup: haha

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
He's a big boy, muscular but has some chunk.. most pl's do. His coach is always on his ass about drinking so much soda... w/e though, he likes it and does well come comp day. He's got the "if its not broken don't fix it" attitude lol.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
He's a big boy, muscular but has some chunk.. most pl's do. His coach is always on his ass about drinking so much soda... w/e though, he likes it and does well come comp day. He's got the "if its not broken don't fix it" attitude lol.
For sure. It's good to be a little thick as i like to say. Exactly, if he performs awesome who care if he eats McD's or BK every freakin day?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
For sure. It's good to be a little thick as i like to say. Exactly, if he performs awesome who care if he eats McD's or BK every freakin day?
Well, other than the fact that he'll die early of cardiovascular disease..........

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i dont drink soda anywhoo and havnt for a couple years (like3)... i drink an energy drink err day though but its 50% juice (the juiced guava Rockstar) and it doesnt contain sodium benzoate, just benzoic acid, wich i assume isnt the bad one, since it specifically said it takes sodium benzoate AND vit c to make the bad corcinogenic effects....

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Well, other than the fact that he'll die early of cardiovascular disease..........
HAHA you get my point. Yea a little extreme but oh well. That actually made me sick to think about that. Its bad people eat that crap everyday 2 or 3 times....:sick:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
i dont drink soda anywhoo and havnt for a couple years (like3)... i drink an energy drink err day though but its 50% juice (the juiced guava Rockstar) and it doesnt contain sodium benzoate, just benzoic acid, wich i assume isnt the bad one, since it specifically said it takes sodium benzoate AND vit c to make the bad corcinogenic effects....
Poop - I'd guess that sodium isn't important - it's the benzoate part. (I saw potassium benzoate in Moutain Dew).

The difference between the -oate and the acid is a functional group change. The -oate is an ester, which is made from an organic acid.

What I don't know is if the body can convert the acid to the ester - if so, that would mean benzoic acid is just as bad (depending on how well that conversion could happen).

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
I can tell you this, anything with Sodium Benzoate, or really anything that ends in "ate" or "ite" gives me HORRENDOUS heartburn, so I'd believe ANYTHING bad you say about it.

However, "Dr. Peter Piper" sounds a little fishy to me.

But good info!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I can tell you this, anything with Sodium Benzoate, or really anything that ends in "ate" or "ite" gives me HORRENDOUS heartburn, so I'd believe ANYTHING bad you say about it.

However, "Dr. Peter Piper" sounds a little fishy to me.

But good info!
This article is full of sh*t.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/sep2000/969071615.Ch.r.html

After I thought about it - it takes a SH*T-TON of energy to strip off the functional groups from the phenyl molecule (the benzene).

I'd go to Snopes - but I think the link above proves this article is a bunch of BS.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'll look some more - but I need something more concrete than Peter North telling me soft drinks plus Vitamin C yield benzene.

Teh internets --> :frustrate

PhilABowl

PhilABowl

Awards
  • Established
I'll look some more - but I need something more concrete than Peter North telling me soft drinks plus Vitamin C yield benzene.

Teh internets --> :frustrate
I reeded it on the intarnets, it MUST be true! :)

Alpha Mind

Awards
Quitting soda was the best decision I've ever made. It may not kill you directly, but it will certainly cause health issues that may put a dent in your bank account.