chew drink water swallow

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
Once again im back on a diet that basically makes me hate life. ive heard different things on digesting food. Personally when I have a can of tuna between 2 slices of eziekiel bread I cant magicly swallow that on my own, so I chew it up for a little, and then wash it down with some water. Is there anything wrong with this? am I really cheating my digestive system? Please help guys, im going crazy!

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
I cant eat food that I like because I pretty much want to be in contest shape, everything I have in my diet is there for a reason, maybe I should have posted this in the weight loss section?

precious_roy

Awards
Once again im back on a diet that basically makes me hate life. ive heard different things on digesting food. Personally when I have a can of tuna between 2 slices of eziekiel bread I cant magicly swallow that on my own, so I chew it up for a little, and then wash it down with some water. Is there anything wrong with this? am I really cheating my digestive system? Please help guys, im going crazy!
Hah! Thats funny. I do that too and people at work always look at me weird. Its tough when you want to get 45g of protein from tuna and you've only got 4 minutes. What you gonna do? Wash it down with water, thats what.

But anyway I'm curious about this myself. Whenever I do this I don't feel full for more than 30-45 minutes so I wonder how this affects digestion as well.

CNizz

CNizz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
interesting i hadnt heard this so i wanna find out now too

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I don't think it's that big a deal, as long as you're not drinking excessive amounts during the meal. You're probably cheating your digestive system more from the worrying that you're doing than from your meal habits.

My diet currently has be eating some pretty dry things so
My Suggestions and current practices:
1) Don't have any liquids for about 30 minutes before the meal or for up to an hour after the meal.
2) Just sip your drink during the meal when it's necessary.
3) Optionally add a digestive enzyme supplement if you're still concerned.

With those practices you shouldn't have to worry too much about you're enzyme producing system being killed by water intake during a meal.

DougMan

Awards
Excessive water intake is of very low concern when it comes to digestion. Anyone who says that you will "dilute" your nutrients is trying create a problem that does not exist.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
There are no worries here. In fact, water is necessary to help the digestive enzymes to do their work.

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
while water is necessary, he's right to realize there is infact a limit.. too much water during the meal will saturate the food as it goes through digestion-- which leads to less food absorbed.. IMHO its not a big deal at all- if your bulking your eating extra food so it balances out---if your cutting then this might even help you out.

DougMan

Awards
too much water during the meal will saturate the food as it goes through digestion-- which leads to less food absorbed..
Any research or theory to back that up? Doesn't sound like it would be true in a practical sense. What kind of limits are you talking about here in terms of amount of water?

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
most of the time i eat my tuna as if it were pills...

i chew a few times, big chug from my gallon of water and then down the hatch...

i would be interested to see the scientific evidence...

DougMan

Awards
i would be interested to see the scientific evidence...
Don't hold your breath, because it won't be coming. The only reason I didn't say it can't possibly be bad is that someone would say, "well if you drink 3 gallons at once and die then you will absorb less nutrients" :rolleyes:

This whole idea of diluting digestive juices is nonsense.

Rufio

Awards
Tuna tastes disgusting IMO, but unfortunately it's one of the quickest and easiest ways to get a bunch of protein into your system. I actually eat it more so while I'm cutting for the thermogenic effect of the protein and the low calories.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just get the good kind of tuna!. Genova I think is the brand, I am not sure. Its in a yellowish can with green symbols on it. Yellowfin tuna packed in olive oil!. Drain some of the Olive Oil, but not much. It tastes pretty good!. Better than that cheap crap!

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Any research or theory to back that up? Doesn't sound like it would be true in a practical sense. What kind of limits are you talking about here in terms of amount of water?

I'd like to see some research on this as well.

It doesn't seem to me that it would affect the nutrients that you have taken in.

I am just trying to think of an outside the box comparison and I am thinking it would be along the lines of throwing 8oz of bleach into a bucket. Now add water to it. Ok, so now I guess you have dilluted it, but in actuality you STILL have 8oz of bleach in the bucket, nothing has changed, it's just that the 8oz of bleach is now taking up more space INSIDE of the bucket than it did before.

If that was the case, it would be better if we all just ate protein powder with a spoon then, and not use shaker bottles with water/skim milk either, am i right?