Sleep

canadianrookie

canadianrookie

Awards
I've been traveling a lot for work lately and I'm finding my sleep patterns are all fuxxed up... I'm slowly working on getting it back under control and under a normal range but on average I'm only pulling in about 5 hours of sleep a night. Aside from being tired and not as strong as normal does lack of sleep impact your training?

Hoopie

Hoopie

Awards
I've been traveling a lot for work lately and I'm finding my sleep patterns are all fuxxed up... I'm slowly working on getting it back under control and under a normal range but on average I'm only pulling in about 5 hours of sleep a night. Aside from being tired and not as strong as normal does lack of sleep impact your training?
Sure will!!!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sleep is crucial. im doing the same thing right now , adjusting my sleep schedule. Usually Im a night owl but sometimes have to dwell during the day.You may want to research Melatonin and see if you want to take it. When My sleep schedule gets changed around dramatically it is really felt.

Same time every night is best

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
the body really likes regularity so the closer you can keep you rody on a routine schedule (but who am I kidding thats not doable all the time..) but yes sleep is crucial to training and muscle growth. Sleep is your time that your body truely utalizes to repair and grow as it really has nothing else to worry about.

Now the real question from your post is are you getting the most sleep possible with your hectic schedule or could you get more your just no falling asleep when you want to and loosing sleep?

canadianrookie

canadianrookie

Awards
I have no trouble getting to sleep when I have the time, my head hits the pillow and I'm lucky if I remember to turn the alarm on before I fall asleep. I'm just struggeling to stuff everything I need to do (and the things I want to do) in the day

moflika

Awards
:( This is my one big weak-point right now. If I usually get 4-5 hours of sleep a day and keep it consistently like that (I'm a horrible procrastinator...) will muscle growth be effected? I'm sure it might lead to me not being able to push it as hard in the gym, but I usually get pretty fired up as soon as I enter the gym.

Basically, could lack of sleep be the reason I'm not gaining size? I've worked plenty on my diet (both here on the board and at home) and I've got a good solid group of people keeping me motivated and working hard in the gym, so I think I have those areas covered.

Same time every night is best
So is going to bed at 3-4 AM everyday and getting 4-5 hours of sleep everyday ok? I mean, it's pretty consistent :run:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I need a good eight hours. Some people like my friend Josh Dickerson says he can go off of five but not me. Sometimes Ill sleep a good ten or twelve. Every body is different , mine works best when rested.

esp deep uninterupted sleep. preferally dark . dark is best for sleep

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I need a good eight hours. Some people like my friend Josh Dickerson says he can go off of five but not me. Sometimes Ill sleep a good ten or twelve. Every body is different , mine works best when rested.

esp deep uninterupted sleep. preferally dark . dark is best for sleep
Same here, I need a solid eight-nine, or things start to suffer in the gym almost immediately.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
If I am not training, then 6-7 hours is usually fine. If I am doing a lot lifting and cardio..I seriously need a good 9 hours to feel human. If I get less than that, I may as well not even train because things start to fall to peices in a million little ways.

One of the best bulks I ever did was when I was "between" jobs/contracts. Got to sleep 10 hours every night and put on almost 20 pounds in 2.5 months.