4:1 carbs to protein

Jmuls

Jmuls

Awards
Today's the first day I'm trying a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein post workout. I've never gone this high with carbs before, so I'm curious to see how my body will respond.

I'm going to take in roughly 200-210g of carbs through some American white Basmati rice along with 2 scoops of Evopro, yielding roughly 52g of protein. I'm expecting to get feel incredibly bloated from all the carbs, but within a weeks time of doing this, I think I'll see some impressive weight changes.

If anyone has any experience with this or suggestions, please post away. Thanks!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Im just curiouse what your overal daily intake is as far as cals and macro break downs. Also whats your stats? Thats some seriouse amount of carbs. Curiouse though did you think about taking in complex carbs or do you prefer the white rice for the fast insulin spike?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Today's the first day I'm trying a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein post workout. I've never gone this high with carbs before, so I'm curious to see how my body will respond.

I'm going to take in roughly 200-210g of carbs through some American white Basmati rice along with 2 scoops of Evopro, yielding roughly 52g of protein. I'm expecting to get feel incredibly bloated from all the carbs, but within a weeks time of doing this, I think I'll see some impressive weight changes.

If anyone has any experience with this or suggestions, please post away. Thanks!

What's your rationality behind going 4:1 PWO? I'm just curious, I've personally never heard of anyone needing to go that high. 2:1 is what I ALWAYS recommend to everyone I know. If your diet is sound enough with every other meal besides your PWO meal, then you should be able to gain weight without needing to go that high. There are at least 5 other meals during the day besides your PWO meal you know :)

Hopefully you are at least using complex carbs for all of those carbs you are taking in. Your body will most likely only use enough of that to replenish your glycogen stores and then store the rest as fat.

The G Train

The G Train

Awards
  • Established
4:1 (or 3:1 if you prefer) is the right ratio for, but the suggested amount of carbs is only 1gram per 2.2lbs of lean body weight. That's mainly used for after an athletic event though, not just a weight lifting workout. Definitely changes if HIT cardio is added in though. The suggested protein intake post workout is 0.1gr per lb of lean mass, and just multiply that by 4 to get your carb amount.

So 200lb is 20grams protein and 80gr carbs.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
4:1 CHO/Pro is a ratio that has been researched quite a bit (Pacific Health Labs). However, most of the research has been conducted in endurance athletes. If glycogen resynthesis is your goal, 4:1 is great. If strength/size is your concern, I say 2:1 or even 1.5:1 is the way to go.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Slow, Steady insulin secretion through the course of the day is gonna be much more muscle-anabolic than one GIGANTIC insulin spike post-workout. Are you consuming any carbs prior to your workout?

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
4:1 CHO/Pro is a ratio that has been researched quite a bit (Pacific Health Labs). However, most of the research has been conducted in endurance athletes. If glycogen resynthesis is your goal, 4:1 is great. If strength/size is your concern, I say 2:1 or even 1.5:1 is the way to go.
BINGO in bold.

2:1 carbs:prot postW works out best for most BB macro setups. 4:1 would likely leach too much carbs from elsewhere in the day, unless you're consuming endurance sport levels (about 500-700g/day).

Jmuls

Jmuls

Awards
My reasoning for trying this was to experiment. When my diet is dialed in, I make strength gains every single workout and see my physique changing on a weekly basis. I've come across some others on here, just within other forums, who have done ratios of 3:1 and 4:1, so I know its not unheard of for bodybuilders. The worst that can happen is that I wasted a little extra money and the extra carbs was for nothing (seeing as though my metabolism is still high enough that I won't see any drastic fat gain).

I'm 6'1'', roughly 200, no idea what my bf% is, though I'm lean enough that I'm vascular through out my arms, delts, and sometimes in my quads. Striations can be seen in my triceps and my pecs at times as well. I would say that I have properties of both an Ecto and a Meso.

An example of my daily meal plan is as follows:

meal 1: 2 dropped eggs, 2 slices whole wheat toast, 1 scoop Evopro in 8 oz of 1% milk

meal 2: 6-7 oz of lean ground turkey with 1-1/4 cup of whole wheat rotini

meal 3: 6-8 oz of grilled chicken with 1-1/2 cup of seasoned rice

meal 4: 6-7 oz of lean ground turkey with 1-1/4 cup of brown rice (pre-workout meal)

meal 5: 2 scoops of Evopro in water with 1-1/4 cup (amount dry, before cooking) of white basmati rice

meal 6: 6 oz of Mahi Mahi with 1-1/4 cup of brown rice

meal 7: 2 scoops of Evopro in water

(remember, the above layout is simply an example, there are many substitutions I use/other meals all together)

When I get focused and stay on task, I give my diet 110% dedication. Occasionally I'll eat my base and eat additional meals on top of that, if I'm craving something. I always attempt to at least eat my base, so that way I don't feel guilty for slacking with my meals.

On a side note, I've only been back to eating like this for a couple weeks now, except for the high carb post workout meal. My weight of ~ 200lbs doesn't portray what this diet can do for me after a few months. Basically, once I'm on this for a while, my weight's gonna be moving on up in a very positive fashion!

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Interesting setup, let us know how it works out for you?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Curiouse though did you think about taking in complex carbs or do you prefer the white rice for the fast insulin spike?
Rice is a complex carb. You are probably thinking about the GI which is actually quite low with basmati, white or not. The smaller grain white rice, like sushi style, will spike insulin as it is much higher in starch.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Rice is a complex carb. You are probably thinking about the GI which is actually quite low with basmati, white or not. The smaller grain white rice, like sushi style, will spike insulin as it is much higher in starch.
Thanks bpm I was meshing the label of complex carbs and the GI value for some reason. I personally have never heard of basmati rice but I see what your saying in comparison to the sushi style rice. Thanks for the clarification