Got ADD? Better take your weed! - AnabolicMinds.com

Got ADD? Better take your weed!

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

Thumbs up Got ADD? Better take your weed!

Just came upon this MSNBC spot on cannabis as ADD treatment... more effective and obviously safer than Ritalin.

MSNBC's Keith Olbermann interviews a bold and honest physician/pediatrician from the University of Southern California who explains how medical cannabis can be used to treat ADD in children.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Tell me again why this highly versatile and generally safe medicinal herb is illegal.
    MOTIV8 II Challenge
    -=The Big Squirrel Nut Swingers=-

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Turned my ADD around 180 degrees along with Piracetam. I only tried it when I was about 27. In many ways, I am glad I never used it when I was younger and I can't justify medicating kids with it, but data is data.
  3. Senior Member

bio, if you don't mind, could you offer up how you used the piracetam for ADD? I.E. doses, timing, etc.? I would like to eventually stop with my prescription drugs or at least cut back pretty far. Thanks in advance
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    In many ways, I am glad I never used it when I was younger and I can't justify medicating kids with it, but data is data.
    Just as you can't justify medicating kids with Ritalin.
    MOTIV8 II Challenge
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

True that. Doping up kids is doping up kids. I'd rather see a nutritional therapy like krill oil than meds. I'd like to see MJ legalized for both recreation and medicine, but I think it's waaaay too early to be talking about it in relation to children. In the PR sense, that's going to cause a backlash and MJ just doesn't need that sort of negative attention.

Warnerve- I stayed fairly low on the Piracetam doses using about 700mg to 1500 mg per day as opposed to 2-3 grams as is often recommended. It really stimulated me at first, gave me some insomnia which was dealt with by MJ use. Was there synergy or was it all the result of one compound or the other? I can't say, but I feel it was the combo and it helped me a lot.

This method was used along with daily journal writing as well as posting on boards like this one. I feel this helped me to "re-learn" how to focus my attention which used to be all over the place, but is now fairly well focused and less prone to overstimulation.
  6. Senior Member

Thanks for the help bio, much appreciated. I am trying to find ways to deal with it, I would say I am above average intelligence and have done poorly/mediocre in school since 7th grade or so...although, it's definitely a combination of my brain chemistry and TERRIBLE study, sleep, work, etc. habits. If they made a prescription for a swift kick in the ass, my parents would be the first person in line. Unfortunately, the closest thing available these days will put me in between sunnis and shi'ites
  7. Senior Member

and aeter, sorry to take your thread so far off topic, lemme know if you want me to erase these posts or something. The study you brought up is definitely interesting, but I get extreme paranoia, to the point I can't even do it recreationally anymore
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Perhaps substitute something like NeuroBalance for the MJ to help deal with the anxiousness. Also, I think chronic magnesium deficiency plays a role in ADD as things like Mg asporotate, and now Poseidon, really help my mind and body relax.

And like it or not, yoga and meditation (guided or solo) are your friends. Accupuncture is not a bad idea either.
  9. New Member

My son is on ritalin, and he's not even close to being "doped up." The idea that medications are always a child sedative of some sort isn't correct. My son was always very intelligent but unable to concentrate and in danger of failing first grade despite stellar intelligence test results. When he started ritalin, he caught up on 6 months of work in one month, and became very popular in class where before he was an outcast because of his behaviors. He even says "I like how my brain feels now" and "I feel happy to be good." Ritalin has been a miracle for him, and he's just as full of spark and wit as ever.
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

The problem is when parents will not handle a child being a child and wants them diagnosed with ADD when all it is, is lack of parenting and then doping their kids up to use Rit. as a baby sitter. The other problem with using weed as an alternate source is that in most of those same cases the parents would be using the product over the children.
  11. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    and aeter, sorry to take your thread so far off topic, lemme know if you want me to erase these posts or something. The study you brought up is definitely interesting, but I get extreme paranoia, to the point I can't even do it recreationally anymore
    Ive been told that the paranoia is directly related to increasing/increased estrogen levles, perhaps coupled with lowered/low normal progesterone levels....

When one says progesterone, immediatly you think that its a female hormone....its also important in males , normal levels that is, (for one it serves as a natural inhibitor of 5ar) but not alot of clear data surrounding it....From what I know, its ok to increase progesterone levels naturally/indirectly, but not by directly supplementing progesterone (as in bio id cream, etc)....
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippewa View Post
    My son is on ritalin, and he's not even close to being "doped up." The idea that medications are always a child sedative of some sort isn't correct. My son was always very intelligent but unable to concentrate and in danger of failing first grade despite stellar intelligence test results. When he started ritalin, he caught up on 6 months of work in one month, and became very popular in class where before he was an outcast because of his behaviors. He even says "I like how my brain feels now" and "I feel happy to be good." Ritalin has been a miracle for him, and he's just as full of spark and wit as ever.
    You do know that Ritalin causes permanent brain damage, right?
    MOTIV8 II Challenge
  13. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    The problem is when parents will not handle a child being a child and wants them diagnosed with ADD when all it is, is lack of parenting and then doping their kids up to use Rit. as a baby sitter. The other problem with using weed as an alternate source is that in most of those same cases the parents would be using the product over the children.
    Oh yeah, I totally agree with that. It's like using the TV as a babysitter. But we read everything we could find on parenting boys, from Dr. Gurian to Dr. Thompson, and it was brilliant stuff--those guys should be on the bookshelves of anyone who has sons. And yet despite our best efforts, the process was limited until ritalin filled in a very obvious gap.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I've seen Ritalin work wonders too. It's just the abuse by parents is so high it covers the good that can come of it.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  232 lbs.

There are many types of ADD and its a physical thing not just a parenting problem. The prefrontal cortex is normally stimulated while at rest, however when required to concentrate its becomes under stimulated. Its about proper diagnoses, proper medication, proper diet and exercise with follow up therapy. Some kids are diagnosed with ADD then as they age they find out they have a form of Autisim. Its bad doctors that have given the meds a bad name along with bad parents who assume that once the kid gets a pill they are "normal".
  16. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    Ive been told that the paranoia is directly related to increasing/increased estrogen levles, perhaps coupled with lowered/low normal progesterone levels....
    Interesting, I never realized that. But yeah, I have always gotten extremely paranoid from it to the point I can't even enjoy it recreationally.

I do feel like ritalin has done very well for me as far as school and such, and it definitely does not make me feel doped up. I would certainly say that such a drug being given to kids worries me though as aeter mentioned. Psychological drugs are serious stuff, I was given strattera before I was on ritalin and had TERRIBLE side effects with it, and it was presented to me as the "safer, side effect free" alternative to adderall and ritalin
  17. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aeternitatis View Post
    You do know that Ritalin causes permanent brain damage, right?
    This much is very true.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    Interesting, I never realized that. But yeah, I have always gotten extremely paranoid from it to the point I can't even enjoy it recreationally.

I do feel like ritalin has done very well for me as far as school and such, and it definitely does not make me feel doped up. I would certainly say that such a drug being given to kids worries me though as aeter mentioned. Psychological drugs are serious stuff, I was given strattera before I was on ritalin and had TERRIBLE side effects with it, and it was presented to me as the "safer, side effect free" alternative to adderall and ritalin

Seems to go back to the findings that the older drugs are better than their "newer and better" replacements.
  19. New Member

When i was 17 I had add i got off ritalin and smoke some greens for couple months. Then i had s.a.t.s so i whent back on ritilain and didnt have the calming effect it was like speed to me got me all jittery and twitchin. I Never needed any type of drug like stratra, adderal or ritalin ever again. It feels like i dont have add anymore. Does this sound weird. Weed defiantly has my vote for legalization.
  20. New Member

Bump!!
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I don't understand how someone can just come out and say, "You've heard that ritalin can cause permenant brain damage right?" Oh no!

Regardless of the pharmaceutical propaganda and the 'conspiracies', etc. medicines can give people a better quality of life. My own definition and philosophy of 'quality of life' pertaining to medicine is that: When a medicine offers benefits that outweigh the side effects and KNOWN risks, it is considered to be therapeudic.

If ritalin can offer me a better quality of life, I'll take it now so I can actually start living and experiencing life to the fullest. If there are some studies saying that decades down the line, I may have some abnormality I'm not going to sit around and be dissuaded.

There are substances with NO therapeudic benefit whatsoever that can be purchased without a prescription (ex. cigarettes and alcohol). People can suck down cigarettes day by day knowing that it MAY cause cancer or a hundred other problems. People have no problem endorsing alcohol commercials. Oh wait, that's because when you 'drink responsibly' nothing bad will happen.

In certain studies in vitro, Ritalin may cause some irreversible damage.

Multivitamins MAY do more harm than good...
    Eating sushi MAY cause cancer...

What the hell do we know about consuming creatine ethyl ester? What do we know about consuming gamma hydroxy norvaline or any of the other experimental chems in these crazy supplements?

Millions of Americans neglected the warnings of ephedrine consumption, steroid use, and will continue to try and consume supplements that contain things that can never exist in nature. Why? Because we want bigger biceps, stronger legs, higher bench press, chizzled abs, etc. All this to feed an ego, but to what extent will we take it to?

Hey. Did you know that excessive exercise can cause a diminished immune system?

Hey. What about coffee? Caffeine? The DSM IV now recognizes caffeine intoxication, caffeine induced psychosis, and caffeine withdrawal syndrome....

Taking medicine as prescribed can offer many benefits. Just do your research, get educated, and make the choice responsibly.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

"Taking medicine as prescribed can offer many benefits. Just do your research, get educated, and make the choice responsibly."

Agreed but that's not always easy to do when a good portion of the industry conspires to downplay the significance of said side effects. Just ask all the dead Vioxx recipients what they think.

MOST of the supplements sold in the US have a fairly lengthy safety record behind them, oftentimes dating back thousands of years. With the exception of PH's and similar compounds that were purposely created to slip through loopholes, vitamins, herbs and minerals are not killing even a thousandth of the people that pharmceuticals do. Prove that statement wrong and you can go on ad infinitum about the wonders of man made chemicals without contest.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    "Taking medicine as prescribed can offer many benefits. Just do your research, get educated, and make the choice responsibly."

Agreed but that's not always easy to do when a good portion of the industry conspires to downplay the significance of said side effects. Just ask all the dead Vioxx recipients what they think.

MOST of the supplements sold in the US have a fairly lengthy safety record behind them, oftentimes dating back thousands of years. With the exception of PH's and similar compounds that were purposely created to slip through loopholes, vitamins, herbs and minerals are not killing even a thousandth of the people that pharmceuticals do. Prove that statement wrong and you can go on ad infinitum about the wonders of man made chemicals without contest.
    That's true. I somehow knew that Vioxx would be brought up! HAHA. But yeah, pharmaceutical companies are in it to make money first at foremost.

The way I see it:

Pharmaceutical companies fund political campaignes.

High executives put pressure on the FDA to accept and pass pharmaceutical drugs without resistance.

Elected parties appoint legislators to keep laws in favor of companies that funded the party and judges to favor class action lawsuits towards the defendants (pharmaceutical companies)

Whenever a 'food supplement' proves to be effective enough to cure an ailment (tryptophan as effective or more effective than SSRIs for treating depression), the pharmaceutical companies b*tch that sales are going down and the FDA steps in and removes it.
    *Prozac being first released in 1988 and the tryptophan disaster being documented in 1989 (although cases have been reported before that) is a big coincidence.

FDA reaps it's power by *****ing around food and agricultural associations and companies, occasionally stepping into the supplement industry.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

don't even get me started on the DSM, which is little more than an effort to re-neurosis-ize the post-Freudian landscape.

that said, appropriate treatment by a knowledgeable and experienced professional can do wonderful things.

Don't buy the whole expanded ADD thing, though.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    don't even get me started on the DSM, which is little more than an effort to re-neurosis-ize the post-Freudian landscape.

that said, appropriate treatment by a knowledgeable and experienced professional can do wonderful things.

Don't buy the whole expanded ADD thing, though.
    The entire world we live in is full of contradiction in EVERY direction we look in.
    We can find hypocrisy, faultiness, distrust, etc. in just about anything that exists (except for maybe a perfect circle or other symmetrically correct, geometrical shapes and figures).

Regardless of why the DSM was created, what it has been evolved and revised to, and what propaganda, theories about, and opposition that has become of it, I believe that it can stand as a decent marker for some individuals in my experience and for a medication that MAY control the symptoms of one's specified disorder.

Whether or not the DSM tricks many unknowing, uneducated, or gullible people into thinking they chaulk a label onto something that they don't really have, I believe that I do have something neurologically wrong that can be corrected with proper medication.

If you have an endless amount of monkeys playing pianos, eventually you'll come to one that plays the National Anthem.

I don't agree with one doctor. Not 2, 3, 4... When I dedicate months of my life to studying day and night on diagnoses typical and subtypical with mine and read and reflect on the experience and journeys of others with the same condition who've each had his/her own personal experiences and revelation... when 3 independant doctors suggest I may have something and a team of 5 psychologists, 2 psychiatrists, and a social worker acting together to give an accurate diagnosis as a foundation for a treatment plan.... when I weigh out all of my known possibilities and debate it over and over with 3rd parties... when I rule out the confounding variables up to and including: maybe it's all in my mind? maybe I read so many cases that I actually transcend their disorder onto me? etc...

After all of that, that's enough for me to make a conclusion for myself that is concurrent with statements and diagnoses made by professionals for whom have no alterior motive to misdiagnose me.

As for other people, sure the DSM is a tool. Tools can be used for the good or bad of mankind. Take it for what it is. It's a reference. It can help people synthesize proper treatment protocol, or it can trick people into believing that they need 'this' or 'that' medicine in order to live a normal life and be accepted by society.

Open-minded people get help to help themselves.
    Close-minded people always look for someone to help them.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

gotta say,
    I was diagnosed with ADD as a child and probably have learning disabilities related to cerebral palsy too. I was a stoner from my mid
    teens to my early 20's and never noticed pot doing any particular good for me. No harm either though. Yeah, there were many times i thought the weed was actually helping me concentrate, but then I also think sometimes you're worried about people realizing you're high, so you make an effort to concentrate more on your own.
  27. New Member

I heard pot lowers your test levels
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by IvyLeaguePump View Post
    I heard pot lowers your test levels
    It can give ya b*tch titties.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Al Sharpton My God Is Better Than Your God ???
    By anabolicrhino in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 05:10 PM
  2. Better check your locks
    By Dwight Schrute in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:52 PM
  3. How do you take your oil?
    By flytrapcan in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 08:49 PM
  4. How do you add oats to your diet?