Utilizing milk as a casein protein?

p951

p951

Awards
I know cottage cheese is a great source of casein protein and I know eating casein protein is a good choice for an evening meal (before bed). My question is, would mixing a scoop of whey protein with 2 cups of nonfat milk serve as a good mixture of both whey and casein protein for use as part of an evening meal?

meb019

Banned
Awards
whey is a fast digesting protein so you dont need that before bed. casein protein is the best choice before bed because of its lengthy digestive properties, so itll be in your system fueling your muscles for the majority of your sleep. i always have one cup of cottage cheese and a glass of warm milk before bed. there is some whey in milk, but thats ok. the casein proteins milk provides are good.
theres also the risk of prolonging sleep and keeping yourself awake if you take too much whey before bed.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
I know cottage cheese is a great source of casein protein and I know eating casein protein is a good choice for an evening meal (before bed). My question is, would mixing a scoop of whey protein with 2 cups of nonfat milk serve as a good mixture of both whey and casein protein for use as part of an evening meal?
I don't see why not, as long as you fit the prot & carbs into your macro targets. I personally can't stand cottage cheese, so all of my casein intake from foods is from milk.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Eat some fat with that casein, like some natty PB. That will help slow down digestion and keep it in your system longer.

dalvare1

dalvare1

Awards
my onjly problem with milk is the sugar. a tall glass and you are looking at roughly 20g of sugar, not exactly the ideal before bed cocktail. I personally like cottage cheese, mixed with eggwhites. a 1/2 cup Fat free CC, and 5 Egg whites is about 30g Protein (Casein/egg) and only about 5g carbs. And zero fat.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah lactose in milk isn't the best before bed. I have never had success getting really shredded with large amounts of milk. I agree with adding some fats along with the cottage cheese. Really only solid type fats or saturated fats are going to slow digestion though. Olive oil and such won't do the trick in this case.