getting protein on the go

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the Air Force and am in a job where I am constantly sent around to different bases, living in hotel rooms and things. Working long hours, weekends, etc. I find it very difficult to get all of my protein throughout the day. I try and get RTD shakes and all that. I was hoping someone had something that would help me out a little as far as getting all my protein in. I also buy bread and eat tuna sandwiches and all that. I'll be bringing a george foreman with me on my next job, think that will help out. Do any of you have this problem? What do you do? I don't just need help trying to get meals while in the room. But also something to get protein in while at work. I think the biggest thing I'm trying to figure out is a way to get eggs in. Does anyone out there know of a way to boil eggs without having a stove?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm in the Air Force and am in a job where I am constantly sent around to different bases, living in hotel rooms and things. Working long hours, weekends, etc. I find it very difficult to get all of my protein throughout the day. I try and get RTD shakes and all that. I was hoping someone had something that would help me out a little as far as getting all my protein in. I also buy bread and eat tuna sandwiches and all that. I'll be bringing a george foreman with me on my next job, think that will help out. Do any of you have this problem? What do you do? I don't just need help trying to get meals while in the room. But also something to get protein in while at work. I think the biggest thing I'm trying to figure out is a way to get eggs in. Does anyone out there know of a way to boil eggs without having a stove?
Yes I have expirence with this as I did this for about five years at my previous job.Same thing as you bro. For food in a container/lunch kit/pack like a cooked chicken breast , broccoli, ya,m and olive oil.

Other than that protein bars. RTd's = good idea. also some MPR's are a good idea along with a peice of fruit.

some more whole food idea's
Egg whites(in the carton-Egg beaters or what have you)
Salads(just buy a pack of salad, itll go a long way)
rice cakes
canned tuna(dont forget the can opener, ive done this one more than once..haha) or the packets of tuna, salmon, chicken.
an already cooked potatoe in alumm foil..just open it and eat
Lean beef already cooked on wheat ham roll
broccoli in container, same thing with cabbage, mushrooms, any Veg you want, fruts veggs you get the idea.

Im sure theres many more ideas...

It also depends on your boss if they dont care then whole foods are good to go.

If they do care then eat wholes foods as fast you can or MPR's, RTD, Protein bars with a veggie or fruit.

Lost a job over eating. Bodybuilding is a demanding sport. I was security at a bar/club.The biggest Bar/Club in west Tn. Ive worked there a year and a half and ate whole foods all the time,. Hell i remember one time eating while I was breaking up a fight. and kept eating. anyways I was eating kale and chicken and my boss told me to put it up.I asked can I finsih it? He said No I said Fine I quit. Just like that. I walked out shook his hand. Told him Take Care. He said Take Care. we are on good terms and we talk and shake hands to this day.

Lesson Learned Next time Ill say Yeahll put it up. Turn my back then finish. then bring protein bars RTD;'s and MPR's from then on.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Oh ok. I've always heard MRE. Is a normal MRE the kind that just has food in it and MPR is the one you add waster to to heat your food? Those we stil just called MREs but I guess I that just could be because that's what everyone is used to calling them.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He may have also meant MRP=Meal Replacement Powder (Lean Mass Matrix, Core MRP, etc.).

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Supplement wise, I have been using the IDS liquid protein vials. They are I believe 3 ounces so thats one good swallow and they have options for 25 or 42 grams of protein per vial.

Have you thought of cooking up your own protein bars?

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
No I haven't I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to make them. Any advice?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No I haven't I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to make them. Any advice?
I have made them frozen and also baked. The frozen ones taste better, but the baked ones are more convenient because you can take them with you.

I have a couple recipes at home. I will try to remember to bring them to work tomorrow.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Awesome. Thanks man!
Sorry it took me a couple extra days. Been moving so my recipes were packed up.

Here is a decent one for baking:

1/2 cup of natural PB
1 and a half cups water
2 cups rice crispies
1 to 2 cups oats
6 scoops protein powder (I use Pro Complex - chocolate)
1/2 cup Splenda

Note: you could sub the rice crispies for more oats if you wanted to

Step 1:
Boil the water and splenda

Step 2:
Add in the Natural PB and lower to simmer

Step 3:
In seperate bowl, put the oats, cereal and protein together and mix them up.

Step 4:
Take the mixture from stove (when peanut butter is melted) and mix into the bowl containing the oats, etc. It will take a few minutes to get this to mix thoroughly. If it is a bit dry, add a slight amount of water (not too much or you will make them too runny)

Step 5:
Put it all in a baking tray and BROIL for 1 to 3 minutes. I know this doesnt seem like long, but they are easy to mess up and overcook.

You can add other things to the tops of the bars like coconut, cinnamon, etc.

I then cut them up and put them in ziplock bags and take them with me. They will stay fresh for a couple of days.

Note:
You can play around with the contents to get the macro amounts that are suitable for your individual diet.

Alsol, I can post some more later if anyone wants the recipes. Frozen bars are better tasting, but they arent as convenient because you cant take them with you.