How bad is diet soda? Will it interact with supplements?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. I care. Don't you care about the risks (your health)? What about a 8 week study on tobacco. Hmmm. Tobacco seems to cause no damage on an 8 week study..

2. Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    What about a 8 week study on tobacco. Hmmm. Tobacco seems to cause no damage on an 8 week study..
    Good point...
    •   

3. Diet sodas would not exist if someone did not demonize sugar.

Sugar is not a poison. People that have problems with sugar are genetically incapable of processing it(diabetics) or they are using way too much (super size me)

The key is individual tolerance (GTF)
    and controlled moderation.

The whole sugar is bad campaign started because of shortages due to the fact that sugar trading countries were not friendly toward the US(communists)

Most sugar substitutes are chemically based on industrial byproducts. (carbon bonds or alcohols structures)

4. Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino View Post
    Diet sodas would not exist if someone did not demonize sugar.

Sugar is not a poison. People that have problems with sugar are genetically incapable of processing it(diabetics) or they are using way too much (super size me)

The key is individual tolerance (GTF)
    and controlled moderation.

The whole sugar is bad campaign started because of shortages due to the fact that sugar trading countries were not friendly toward the US(communists)

Most sugar substitutes are chemically based on industrial byproducts. (carbon bonds or alcohols structures)
    100% agree.

for those interested in hearing the mounting evidence against splenda and why it was created(a lot of negative 3rd party studies started appearing on nutrasweet) just google splenda and mercola.

as always, make up your own mind, but always remember. why you think is right may not be.

be safe.

5. Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    I care. Don't you care about the risks (your health)? What about a 8 week study on tobacco. Hmmm. Tobacco seems to cause no damage on an 8 week study..
    All sugar alternative consuming people are not experiencing an abnormally high rate of deadly diseases, either. We've had sugar alternatives for long periods of time.

And yes, damage would be found in an 8 week study of tobacco by the way. Not only would we be able to track damage done by things like carbon monoxide, which out-compete oxygen for binding position on red blood cells, but also pollutants in the smoke and almost immediately track damage done to villi by nicotine, which paralyzes villi--removing their ability to expel the pollutants you coated your lungs in. Cant' blame you for bring up that example though; most people wouldn't know any better.

Damage can be seen from smoking right away--that doesn't mean you'll develop a deadly disease right away though.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00 View Post
    There are lots of reasons that studies for splenda, etc don't go past 8 weeks. For one, nobody cares to fund a super long term research study where a cohort of diet soda drinks are followed over extended periods of time. Its just not a huge concern.
    Nutrasweet made me quite ill for awhile. I was drinking about three diet pepsi's per day. After several months of this I began to get severe headaches and dizzy spells. They lasted for about a month and it was every day almost all day long. I would walk down the hall and it felt as though I was walking on the side of a hill. I began to think that something was seriously wrong. A co-worker suggested that I lay off the diet sodas to see if there was any correlation. After 2 days the headaches were gone and within 4 days the dizzy spells were gone. At this point I avoid nutrasweet at all costs and try to buy diet Rite or Pepsi One. I've had no noticeable effects from Splenda.

7. the US military does not allow pilots to drink diet soda before they fly because of the dizziness factor!

8. I wouldn't doubt that at all.

But at the same time, that's not an indication that diet sodas are toxic to everyone.

If aspartame causes some people to have adverse reactions you can add it to the list of natural and healthy things that do as well.

The ONLY argument against aspartame I've ever seen is because of its methanol content, and again, it contains less methanol than an apple (by a factor of 1/2) per packet of aspartame.

There is one instance where that number may vary. If stored at 185 degrees Fahrenheit over the course of MONTHS that number of methanol will increase by about 4 fold.

Lets get real with ourselves here people. Some people can be so sensitive to even niacin (vitamin b3) that amounts most people would have absolutely no problems with will make them super flush, hot, and dizziness.

9. How many of you guys ensure that the supplements that you take have received a study longer than 8 weeks?

10. Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    I have heard about a cop that used to drink 10 diet cokes a day, and was diagnosed with brain cancer. Coincidence? I ain't so sure..

there are hundreds of thousands of others that consumed that much and NEVER had any complications, myself included. A single isolated incidence does not base credibility to any cause/effect relation.

11. No kidding.

I'm sure somewhere there was a person who "ate 10 apples a day" and got brain cancer, too.

12. I drink 3-4 Muscle Milk shakes per day and don't have a cold...maybe that's a cure?

13. Or it could be the power of posting on AM.com

14. Hmmm...very possible!

15. I thought I would chip in and agree with kwyck here (wtf is going on?).

There is no evidence that aspartame or sucralose are detrimental to your health or physique; none.

On a side note, jjohn, you are a supplement whore. To the effect that you made countless numbers of ridiculous posts and threads in order to garner free supplements. For you, to question the efficacy of artificial sweetners after consuming copius amounts of similarly untested supplements is ridiculous.

[not picking on you, just proving a point]

16. When would we not agree? WTF? I <3 joo.

17. Awwww. Fanks poo-poo bear!

We totally p0wnz n00Bz n' ****!

18. Its hard to argue a point from your knees, doesnt mean its not a good point, lol.

Im honored my 2000th post could be such filth.

19. what do you think they sweeten all of your delicious protein shakes, creatines, pre-workout cocktails, etc. with?? artificial sweeteners! just thought that was an interesting point. You dont need to just drink diet soda to have a rather large consumption of artificial sweeteners. Even the most avid anti-diet soda bodybuilder probably takes in a relatively massive dose w/ their shakes, and other workout-related drinks

20. Quote Originally Posted by HARDtotheCORE View Post
    what do you think they sweeten all of your delicious protein shakes, creatines, pre-workout cocktails, etc. with?? artificial sweeteners! just thought that was an interesting point. You dont need to just drink diet soda to have a rather large consumption of artificial sweeteners. Even the most avid anti-diet soda bodybuilder probably takes in a relatively massive dose w/ their shakes, and other workout-related drinks

true dat, some things are 100% unavoidable but others like protein shakes are easily solved. companies like optimum nutrition are coming up with an all natural no artifical sweetner protein.

coincidence? maybe...
    everybody who is interested should look into this and make up you own mind. if you feel the evidence(circumstantial or whatever) mounts against them do not use it.
    if you think otherwise then go ahead and splenda everything

its a personal choice in this chemical age!
  21. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by djremix View Post
    true dat, some things are 100% unavoidable but others like protein shakes are easily solved. companies like optimum nutrition are coming up with an all natural no artifical sweetner protein.

coincidence? maybe...
    everybody who is interested should look into this and make up you own mind. if you feel the evidence(circumstantial or whatever) mounts against them do not use it.

I have been getting mine from Whey Protein Isolate 02lb(set the flavor tool at unflavored)

I flavor with pure cane sugar or maple or honey or agave and choclate for Easter!

22. My body does not respond well to aspartme, usually if I drink more than 3 cans in a day I have major stomach cramps. Not to mention numerous trips to the bathroom!!!! ***SQUEEZIN****

23. Quote Originally Posted by djremix View Post

coincidence? maybe...

Anabolic Innovaitons has had a NO artificial sweetner/NO artificial flavoring/NO artificial color protein powder since day one

CROWLER

24. I agree that there is a lot of hype around health effects of artificial sweeteners. Not denying that some individuals may have a low tolerance for them.

While I don't think that artificial sweeteners are particularly harmful, I prefer to limit them as much as possible. So I buy bulk unflavoured protein, and bulk supplements that I cap myself, avoiding the commercial mixes.

If my young kids want a soda, I usually suggest that they have a glass of milk, but sometimes (rarely) relent and let them have a regular soda. I'd rather they have a moderate amount of sugar than an unlimited amount of artificial sweetener. By the way, if you look at the ingredients in kids drinks, the majority come with artificial sweeteners, so at home they generally have a choice of water or milk.

25. How bad is it to drink one regular soda (dr. pepper) a day? I've cut back to about 1 every three days or so but I'm starting to get crave it more for some reason.

26. Don't worry about it. Water is always better, but drinking a calorie free soda isn't gonna kill you.

For dental health, however, remember some bacteria can digest the artificial sweeteners--so you still need to brush your teeth

27. splenda makes a great ant killer btw.
    if you got ant problems, sprinkle a little bit in the corner. add a drop or two of water on it and wait.
    the ants happily come and carry it all back to their homes where they all get poisoned and die off.
    voila, no more ant problem.

p.s. try it before you knock it.

28. Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    So why haven't they done away with tobacco?
    Actually, the FDA doesn't have regulatory authority over tobacco. Strange... I assume that has something with the tobacco lobby.

Fine with me, though. The FDA should keep its grubby hands of my Copenhagen!

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzle View Post
    How bad is it to drink one regular soda (dr. pepper) a day? I've cut back to about 1 every three days or so but I'm starting to get crave it more for some reason.
    Bad man, bad. I drink 2L of Diet Mountain Dew every day, and I can already tell that I am slowly dying. Someday I'll be dead, and then people will be able to say, "Look at TeamSavage. He drank too much diet soda and he DIED! You don't want to die, do you? Avoid artificial sweeteners and you'll live forever!"

29. Quote Originally Posted by djremix View Post
    splenda makes a great ant killer btw.
    if you got ant problems, sprinkle a little bit in the corner. add a drop or two of water on it and wait.
    the ants happily come and carry it all back to their homes where they all get poisoned and die off.
    voila, no more ant problem.

p.s. try it before you knock it.
    Unless you know the mechanism by which the ants are dying, you shouldn't be using it as an example

Its very likely that the ants simply cannot digest the splenda, which is why its zero calories for humans. If ants are eating a food that is satiating and they cannot digest, they're going to starve to death.

30. Quote Originally Posted by TeamSavage View Post
    Actually, the FDA doesn't have regulatory authority over tobacco. Strange... I assume that has something with the tobacco lobby.

Fine with me, though. The FDA should keep its grubby hands of my Copenhagen!
    And I'm still chewing my Skoal! Sometimes I think I NEED government intervention to get me to quit!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How bad is it?
    By Heavyappetite in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM
  2. How bad is it really?
    By MentalTwitch in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 07:37 PM
  3. Hurt myself tonight...How Bad is it Really???
    By Brfish in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 02:44 AM
  4. My doc is giving TRT will it hinder my recovery
    By pjsallday in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-14-2007, 10:55 AM
  5. How bad is dbol on the hair line?
    By snakebyte05 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 01:02 AM