Glycemic Foods

C

Confucious

Awards
I have done some research about glycemic foods and the glycemic index. What are your thoughts about them related to weight loss and healthy eating?
Carbohydrates that break down rapidly during digestion have the highest glycemic indices. Carbohydrates that break down slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the blood stream, have a low glycemic index. A lower glycemic index suggests slower rates of digestion and absorption of the sugars and starches in the foods and may also indicate greater extraction from the liver and periphery of the products of carbohydrate digestion.
The Glycemic Index is a ranking system for carbohydrates based on their effect on blood glucose levels in the first two hours.
A low GI food will release glucose slowly and steadily. A high GI food will provide a rapid rise in blood sugar levels and is suitable for energy recovery after endurance exercise or for a diabetic person.
In the hours before a competition athletes will want to consume foods with a lower value so that they will break down more slowly and provide energy when it is needed. During a competition, the athlete will try to balance the consumption of high and low glycemic foods to maintain a constant energy level rather than having spikes of energy.
In concerns with weight loss, high glycemic foods have been linked to obesity.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
I have done some research about glycemic foods and the glycemic index. What are your thoughts about them related to weight loss and healthy eating?
Carbohydrates that break down rapidly during digestion have the highest glycemic indices. Carbohydrates that break down slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the blood stream, have a low glycemic index. A lower glycemic index suggests slower rates of digestion and absorption of the sugars and starches in the foods and may also indicate greater extraction from the liver and periphery of the products of carbohydrate digestion.
The Glycemic Index is a ranking system for carbohydrates based on their effect on blood glucose levels in the first two hours.
A low GI food will release glucose slowly and steadily. A high GI food will provide a rapid rise in blood sugar levels and is suitable for energy recovery after endurance exercise or for a diabetic person.
In the hours before a competition athletes will want to consume foods with a lower value so that they will break down more slowly and provide energy when it is needed. During a competition, the athlete will try to balance the consumption of high and low glycemic foods to maintain a constant energy level rather than having spikes of energy.
In concerns with weight loss, high glycemic foods have been linked to obesity.
I suggest you read this:

Elements Challenging the Validity of the Glycemic Index

:)

C

Confucious

Awards
Very interesting Aragon. I appreciate the link.