Insulin Causes Vasodilation in Muscle/Carbs will lead to better pumps

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
Perform a search on any bodybuilding forum and see how many hits you get for ‘NO’ and ‘pump’. Robbie Durand takes us through the science of NO production, elaborating on the role of insulin in increasing NO. He argues that a good insulin spike (that’s right, carbs!) will lead to better pumps, particularly if accompanied by high intensity training.

Insulin Causes Vasodilation in Muscle | Mind and Muscle

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Perform a search on any bodybuilding forum and see how many hits you get for ‘NO’ and ‘pump’. Robbie Durand takes us through the science of NO production, elaborating on the role of insulin in increasing NO. He argues that a good insulin spike (that’s right, carbs!) will lead to better pumps, particularly if accompanied by high intensity training.

Insulin Causes Vasodilation in Muscle | Mind and Muscle

Good read!!

Here is a partial explanation of how insulin regulates vascular tone:

Regulation of vascular tone and vasodialation is regulated by NO release, arachidonate metabolites (which NSAIDs can interfere with), and several other mechanisms, including insulin. There is also a strong relationship between insulin-mediated vasodilation and adenylate cyclase activity. Tyrosine kinase, the main enzyme whose activation is required for insulin-stimulated glucose uptake, is very important to this mechanism. Tyrosine kinase regulates vascular tone by upregulating adenylate cyclase activity- the more insulin (and other growth factors) that couple to tyrosine kinase, the more adenylate cyclase activity occurs. The greater the adenylate cyclase activity, the more ATP can be converted into cAMP, because adenylate cyclase catalyzes this reaction. cAMP, as we know, is an awesome vasodialator- and is a strong factor in the relaxation of vasal tone.

So, in short, when insulin couples to tyrosine kinase, there tends to be an upregulation or adenylate cyclase, and subsequently cAMP activity- with will give you bigger pumps!

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
No offense to the OP, but... No sh!t

I thought this was common knowledge!?

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Guess not ;)

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I guess it's a testament to the power of marketing. So much energy has been put into making people believe that arginine or what have you is what generates massive pumps.

I remember the day I realized it was all crap and started investigating the mechanisms behind carb intake and pump. This was quite a few years ago... I had eaten some oatmeal-raisin cookies before working out and actually continued eating them during my workout. The pump generated during that workout was so intense it was painful. That stuff really doesn't happen very often. That fluke really opened my eyes. Now I know that the mechanisms are several, it's not just one thing that causes the increased pump.

I have since experimented with a number of whole food carb sources for this purpose. Banana seems to be king so far. IMO, the main reason why SizeOn works so well is because of the proprietary carb blend it has and the addition of key minerals/electrolytes. This mimics certain food sources of carbs.

This happened before I ever tried an "NO" supp. When I finally got around to trying them, I just couldn't understand what everyone was raving about. They really didn't generate any more of a pump than I was already used to.

Gimme some cookies over arginine-akg any day. :toofunny:

Last edited:
Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I guess it's a testament to the power of marketing. So much energy has been put into making believe believe that arginine or what have you is what generates massive pumps.

I remember the day I realized it was all crap and started investigating the mechanisms behind carb intake and pump. This was quite a few years ago... I had eaten some oatmeal-raisin cookies before working out and actually continued eating them during my workout. The pump generated during that workout was so intense it was painful. That stuff really doesn't happen very often. That fluke really opened my eyes. Now I know that the mechanisms are several, it's not just one thing that causes the increased pump.

I have since experimented with a number of whole food carb sources for this purpose. Banana seems to be king so far. IMO, the main reason why SizeOn works so well is because of the proprietary carb blend it has and the addition and key minerals. This mimics certain food sources of carbs.

This happened before I ever tried an "NO" supp. When I finally got around to trying them, I just couldn't understand what everyone was raving about. They really didn't generate any more of a pump than I was already used to.

Gimme some cookies over arginine-akg any day. :toofunny:
Agreed about the marketing.

Factor in that in the body, insulin effects cannot be decoupled from the necessary food intake to cause increased insulin levels. What is really the cause, what is really the effect, and what is just the catalyst along for the ride?

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
so could anybody name a little list of foods to eat preworkout to specifically increase pump...and would this method be any different to traditional pre workout meals...

thanks

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
so could anybody name a little list of foods to eat preworkout to specifically increase pump...and would this method be any different to traditional pre workout meals...

thanks
Bananas, raisins, dates... I like those a lot. Or you could go with my oatmeal cookie technique. :)

Maybe the graph will answer some questions:

Some strong science in this thread.

Last edited:
Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
waxy maize starch has been working great for me. cheapest place to get it is nutraplanet.net in bulk.