Protein consumption

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.02%

Protein consumption

I am trying to determine what is the right amount of protein to ingest on a meal basis rather than the typical daily basis. I have heard the following:

1) We should ingest anywhere from 0.5-2.0 times your body weight of protein (in grams) daily.
    2) Our bodies can only absorb about 30g in a single meal.

If the 30g absorption is true, doesn't it make it pretty futile trying to get more than 1 times your body weight in protein?

I imagine the 30g statement is probably more complicated, but don't know the science behind it.

Thanks.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I don't know the science behind the 30g statement, but you can be assured there is a limit to how much protein can be absorbed by the simple fact that we're limited by both the rate at which proteins can be digested into AA's and transported across intestinal epithelium, and the total surface area of intestinal transport epithelium.

I think protein is overrated and carbs are underrated. Carbs are much easier to digest and are protein sparing, and considering we're just trying to tip the anabolism / catabolism scale in our favor carbs may be a great way to do that.

In general the 1-1.5g/lb lean body weight is pretty good IMO.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.46%

The 30g limit is bogus. It's true that you can't take 200g all at once and assume all will go to protein synthesis, but the 30g rule is not accurate. If I have time, I'll find the studies that show that.

1-1.5g/LBW is a good range. Spread that over 4-7 meals as much as possible, and you'll be fine. But there's no need to be concerned if you eat a 25g tuna sandwich and wash it down with a 30g protein shake.
    Last edited by Fireproof; 03-29-2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Reworded for clarity.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.32%

Quote Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
    The 30g limit is bogus. It's true that you can take 200g and assume all will go to protein synthesis, but the 30g rule is not accurate. If I have time, I'll find the studies that show that.

1-1.5g/LBW is a good range. Spread that over 4-7 meals as much as possible, and you'll be fine. But there's no need to be concerned if you eat a 25g tuna sandwich and wash it down with a 30g protein shake.
    Yep, I just determine how much protein I want to hit each day and then just break it into 6 meals as this fits my schedule the best. If you go over a little, no big deal...
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Also, remember that different protein is absorbed and assimilated at different rates. If you're talking about a whey shake, that is absorbed and assimilated rather quickly, so it's likely that anything above a certain amount (maybe 30-40g) is poorly assimilated.

But if you're talking about, say, a sandwich or a chicken breast, these are digested far more slowly, as it can take hours for your digestive track to fully break down the proteins so they can be absorbed and assimilated. Even if you eat a huge chicken breast with 60g protein, you may only end up absorbing around 15g/hour over a 4-hr period. So I think the "limit" has some validity when it comes to protein powders but really isn't applicable when it comes to meat sources.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.43%

I never went over 40g of protien in one serve no matter what it was, even if that meant eating by the hour to get my protien intake and it worked a treat for me. But yea I wouldnt panic if you go to 50 or 60 in food, as long as you dont eat a full T-bone, and down 40g of protein shake right after it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. daily protein consumption
    By supershah in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
  2. What flavor of protein shake is your favorite?
    By Chemo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM
  3. In Depth Protein Breakdown
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 10:53 PM
  4. myths about protein consumption
    By hamper19 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2003, 03:34 PM
  5. protein source