Protein consumption

waimoku

waimoku

Awards
I am trying to determine what is the right amount of protein to ingest on a meal basis rather than the typical daily basis. I have heard the following:

1) We should ingest anywhere from 0.5-2.0 times your body weight of protein (in grams) daily.
2) Our bodies can only absorb about 30g in a single meal.

If the 30g absorption is true, doesn't it make it pretty futile trying to get more than 1 times your body weight in protein?

I imagine the 30g statement is probably more complicated, but don't know the science behind it.

Thanks.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I don't know the science behind the 30g statement, but you can be assured there is a limit to how much protein can be absorbed by the simple fact that we're limited by both the rate at which proteins can be digested into AA's and transported across intestinal epithelium, and the total surface area of intestinal transport epithelium.

I think protein is overrated and carbs are underrated. Carbs are much easier to digest and are protein sparing, and considering we're just trying to tip the anabolism / catabolism scale in our favor carbs may be a great way to do that.

In general the 1-1.5g/lb lean body weight is pretty good IMO.

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
The 30g limit is bogus. It's true that you can't take 200g all at once and assume all will go to protein synthesis, but the 30g rule is not accurate. If I have time, I'll find the studies that show that.

1-1.5g/LBW is a good range. Spread that over 4-7 meals as much as possible, and you'll be fine. But there's no need to be concerned if you eat a 25g tuna sandwich and wash it down with a 30g protein shake.

Last edited:
rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
The 30g limit is bogus. It's true that you can take 200g and assume all will go to protein synthesis, but the 30g rule is not accurate. If I have time, I'll find the studies that show that.

1-1.5g/LBW is a good range. Spread that over 4-7 meals as much as possible, and you'll be fine. But there's no need to be concerned if you eat a 25g tuna sandwich and wash it down with a 30g protein shake.
Yep, I just determine how much protein I want to hit each day and then just break it into 6 meals as this fits my schedule the best.:afro: If you go over a little, no big deal...

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Also, remember that different protein is absorbed and assimilated at different rates. If you're talking about a whey shake, that is absorbed and assimilated rather quickly, so it's likely that anything above a certain amount (maybe 30-40g) is poorly assimilated.

But if you're talking about, say, a sandwich or a chicken breast, these are digested far more slowly, as it can take hours for your digestive track to fully break down the proteins so they can be absorbed and assimilated. Even if you eat a huge chicken breast with 60g protein, you may only end up absorbing around 15g/hour over a 4-hr period. So I think the "limit" has some validity when it comes to protein powders but really isn't applicable when it comes to meat sources.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
I never went over 40g of protien in one serve no matter what it was, even if that meant eating by the hour to get my protien intake and it worked a treat for me. But yea I wouldnt panic if you go to 50 or 60 in food, as long as you dont eat a full T-bone, and down 40g of protein shake right after it.