Eggs??

srt4miller

Awards
Ok so i know there is a saying that there is no such thing as a dumb question, but i think this is one of them LOL. I have been doing a ton of reading and learing from everyone! Now my question to you all is when you talk about using 6 egg whites, and 1 hole egg do you men Raw or cooked, and why one over the other. ( just threw numbers out there):food:

Thanks
Miller

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok so i know there is a saying that there is no such thing as a dumb question, but i think this is one of them LOL. I have been doing a ton of reading and learing from everyone! Now my question to you all is when you talk about using 6 egg whites, and 1 hole egg do you men Raw or cooked, and why one over the other. ( just threw numbers out there):food:

Thanks
Miller
Some guys toss most of the yolks cause they don't want the extra fat. Me personally I eat the whole egg (usually 3 at a time) and don't worry about it. Actually the best source of protein is in the yolk. As far as raw or cooked, to me its a no brainer. I'm not risking salmonella or something by downing it raw. My are always cooked.

srt4miller

Awards
Ok sounds good! How do other people eat eggs?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I use the pasteurized egg whites that come in a carton and scramble them. I know it's a little bit pricier than just separating actual eggs, but I never use the yolk and it's much easier.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Is the yolk really a source of some of the protein? I toss it cos I don't like the taste of the yolk.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The yolk does provide protein but also a good amount of healthy and saturated fats. I just go straight egg whites however, because I get my fats from other sources at other times in the day.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
what % are we talking bout? If an egg says 8g protein per, how much does the yolk contain?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I think the yolk is 4 grams protien, so about half.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
i'm eating the yolk then :)
my dog will be mad now

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
the yolk is also high in cholesterol, I think in just 4 yolks you have you daily limit...

I usually eat 5 white 2 whole...once or twice a day...scrambled

Beige

Awards
  • Established
Fit Model brings up an important fact. Most people that avoid the yolk are looking out for their cholesterol intake.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
Yea i'm weird, I can eat the yolk only if cooked fully.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
1 large egg yolk contains 1.6 g's of sat fat, 277 mg's cholesterol, and 2.9 g's of protein. These numbers aren't going to cause you problems unless you eat a 12 pack a day...

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Currently dieting for a show. I have 1 whole egg and 9 egg whites...scramble them and add in asparagus stir fry veggies. I have this twice a day and it is by far my favorite meal.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I just drink em. Whole eggs btw:D I notice no difference whether I cook them or not. I actually think drinking them works better for me as it doesn't upset my stomach.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
O my...you must clear out the room often
eggs and asparagus...killer!

:)

Currently dieting for a show. I have 1 whole egg and 9 egg whites...scramble them and add in asparagus stir fry veggies. I have this twice a day and it is by far my favorite meal.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Egg white omelets with diced red and green bell peppers are good too. I ate that every morning in the Orleans hotel restaurant at the Olympia last year.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Nah, I only get gas after my carb up meal. :dump:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I just drink em. Whole eggs btw:D I notice no difference whether I cook them or not. I actually think drinking them works better for me as it doesn't upset my stomach.
I'm with you.

If restricting fats I will eat mostly whites but the yolk has all the b vitamins and stuff. Low carbin right now so I am eating more eggs than the Easter Bunny, lol. :D

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you.

If restricting fats I will eat mostly whites but the yolk has all the b vitamins and stuff. Low carbin right now so I am eating more eggs than the Easter Bunny, lol. :D
LOL I hear ya I'm trying to lean up so I mix 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg in my shake. It makes the shake taste so much better. Actually make choc whey shake taste like cake batter,:food:

srt4miller

Awards
Well if there is ever an egg short we know who who blame!!:thumbsup:
One of my friends drank 2 raw eggs and then we went to work out and he ended up puking about 10 mins into the work out. Thats the reason i have not tried raw eggs yet. But the Raw eggs in the Whey sounds good to me i love cake batter!!!!

bigdave

bigdave

Awards
Since we are on the topic of eggs... for breakfast i have 2 whole eggs 3 whites...with a can of tuna and peppers,onions, and mushrooms fried in...delicious and full of protein

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Well if there is ever an egg short we know who who blame!!:thumbsup:
One of my friends drank 2 raw eggs and then we went to work out and he ended up puking about 10 mins into the work out. Thats the reason i have not tried raw eggs yet. But the Raw eggs in the Whey sounds good to me i love cake batter!!!!

I second the cake batter!!:dance: I think I would get some pasturized eggs for it though...but thats just me! :fool2:

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
I don't believe anyone mentioned that raw eggs are nearly useless because only half of the protein is utilized due to the fact that they have not been denatured yet. When eggs (and all meats) are cooked, the structure of the protein is uncoagulated (straightened out) and then and only then is the 100% (or most) of the protein able to be digested and utilized in the body. Always cook your eggs:head:

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's not necessarily true, when referring to raw pasteurized egg whites.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I don't believe anyone mentioned that raw eggs are nearly useless because only half of the protein is utilized due to the fact that they have not been denatured yet. When eggs (and all meats) are cooked, the structure of the protein is uncoagulated (straightened out) and then and only then is the 100% (or most) of the protein able to be digested and utilized in the body. Always cook your eggs:head:
Any studies to back up that nonsense?

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I add in lowfat or nonfat cottage cheese to my omelets. Really adds a ton of flavor.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I eat 4 whole eggs every morning, puts me in a good mood for the rest of the morning.

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
"Nonsense?"

:yawn:

Bodybuilding.com - Anthony Ricciuto - Power Nutrition Q&A - Part Seven!

Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques -- Evenepoel et al. 128 (10): 1716 -- Journal of Nutrition

Egg (food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Raw Egg question - EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Forums

http://www.math.unl.edu/~jump/Center1/Labs/ProteinCoagulation.pdf

If you don't agree with one website, go to the scientific study. If you don't agree with that website, go to the online information source. If you don't agree with that, go to the forum. If you don't agree with the forum, go to the scientific experiment.

Believe it now?:head:

Birdsizzle

Awards
Anyone that has taken even a basic food science course or that has studied for a degree in Nutrition and Foods would have learned this as part of the curriculum.

Many of the foods you eat every day are only fully beneficial in terms of their nutrient absorption if they are cooked. Cooking activates these nutrients and makes them bioavailable. Tomatoes are another good example of this. The lycopene and vast amounts of phytochemicals are only truly beneficial once processed or cooked. In raw form, tomatoes provide little benefit. Similar statements are true of eggs. Why jump down this guys throat, its clear he has some understanding of food science, more probably than the majority that have made snappy remarks about his comment.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Anyone that has taken even a basic food science course or that has studied for a degree in Nutrition and Foods would have learned this as part of the curriculum.

Many of the foods you eat every day are only fully beneficial in terms of their nutrient absorption if they are cooked. Cooking activates these nutrients and makes them bioavailable. Tomatoes are another good example of this. The lycopene and vast amounts of phytochemicals are only truly beneficial once processed or cooked. In raw form, tomatoes provide little benefit. Similar statements are true of eggs. Why jump down this guys throat, its clear he has some understanding of food science, more probably than the majority that have made snappy remarks about his comment.
You think I jumped down the guys throat? Boy, you would not want to be present if I actually did tear into someone, you might cry. Or perhaps try and get me fired for insensitive comments. :p

I had always believed that to be nonsense and had actually had many knowledgeable people tell me the opposite was true so I called him on it as he stated with a sense of assuredness vs stating an opinion.

He posted studies and shut me up. Anyone who has taken a basic food science course should also know that not everything that is taught is true or based on sound science and or studies.

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
You think I jumped down the guys throat? Boy, you would not want to be present if I actually did tear into someone, you might cry. Or perhaps try and get me fired for insensitive comments. :p

I had always believed that to be nonsense and had actually had many knowledgeable people tell me the opposite was true so I called him on it as he stated with a sense of assuredness vs stating an opinion.

He posted studies and shut me up. Anyone who has taken a basic food science course should also know that not everything that is taught is true or based on sound science and or studies.
lol, I never meant to start thread fight. I appreciate people calling me out on statements that they may disagree with or find error with, that's part of learning. Then again, if I feel I am right, or know I am right, I am more than happy to show proof and share my personal knowledge, that's all part of learning:cheers: And I definitely agree with the whole "not everything you learn in school is true" the same class that I learned about denaturing and absorption, also stated that too much protein is bad for you, and you should always listen to what the government tells you to put in your body. Kind of like those weekend drinkers/smokers that tell you that creatine is bad for your liver:rofl: Sometimes you have to do a little research on your own to know whether you should give advice or not.

Good lifting to all!
-Kevin

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
"not everything you learn in school is true" the same class that I learned about denaturing and absorption...
I learned in med phys that heating/cooking denatures proteins to the point that it unwinds or unravels the protein chain. That particular text book suggested that this makes the protein LESS useful.

I would like to believe that it starts the process of breaking the protein down into amino acids, which in turn, would make it MORE available for absorption.

Any thoughts?

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
Here is another point- fresh fertile eggs are much better for you according to Gironda. I just got back from a local farmer that I bought 2 gallons of raw milk, 1/2lb raw butter, and 2.5 dozen of fresh fertile eggs. I'll be eating good now that I found this farmer 2 miles away from me!

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
I learned in med phys that heating/cooking denatures proteins to the point that it unwinds or unravels the protein chain. That particular text book suggested that this makes the protein LESS useful.

I would like to believe that it starts the process of breaking the protein down into amino acids, which in turn, would make it MORE available for absorption.

Any thoughts?
That is an interesting point. The term "denaturing" DOES mean the protein is being unraveled, similarly looking from a big jumbled mess into relatively straight lines. It's kind of hard to explain, but it is this process that makes the protein available for absorption. Of course, when it comes to cooking, I do believe that cooking your meat or eggs should be kept to a minimum. I like my eggs nice and fluffy/tender, not dried out and burnt. I guess it all comes down to what works best for you, as there will apparently be no set-in-stone agreement.

pacak514

Awards
Another good product is egg protein sold at Vitamin world and other supplement store. If you cook it it really hardens like egg whites. Eggcellent form of protein.. I higly suggest you trry it. It can also be purchased in the baking section called just whites or something of that nature.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
Interesting thread. I too have read that de-natured proteins are less bioavailable. I have also read that raw egg whites have anti-nutrients that are nullified by the raw egg yolk, so I'm wondering if the bio-availability of the protein in raw egg whites is enhanced by the raw egg yolk?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Interesting thread. I too have read that de-natured proteins are less bioavailable. I have also read that raw egg whites have anti-nutrients that are nullified by the raw egg yolk, so I'm wondering if the bio-availability of the protein in raw egg whites is enhanced by the raw egg yolk?

The whites contain avidin which binds to biotin and has the potential to create a deficiency in your body if enough are ingested. Cooking or pasteurizing the whites deactivates the avidin. Only an issue if eating the raw whites only as the yolk is loaded with biotin.

I will personally continue to eat whole raw eggs forever. The way nature intended. :D