Recommend starchy carb snacks

  1. Registered User
    GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Answers
    0

    Recommend starchy carb snacks


    My girlfriend just started a new diet that requires 2 servings of 25g starchy carbs during work times. I cant think of anything more appetizing than a cold sweetpotato.
    Some recommendations would be appreciated.

  2. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,539
    Answers
    0


    How bout some oatmeal? Does she have a microwave?
  3. Registered User
    GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Answers
    0


    She does, but she doesnt work somewhere where it is acceptable to get up and cook food in the middle of work. Also, currently she is having oats for breakfast and she isnt a very big fan. She's a girl, choking down nasty food is a hard concept for her to swallow(NPI).
    Personally I dont agree with all the carbs of this plan but my diet didnt work for her, girls must be more different than I thought.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    nvr2loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    301
    Answers
    0


    Pasta is a starchy carb. Don't know why you would want a starchy carb unless you are bulking, but yeah.
    It can be cooked before hand and eaten cold if she wants.
    White/red potatoes are also a starchy carb.
  5. Registered User
    jjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,539
    Answers
    0


    I was thinking bout rice cakes, but they're high GI.
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    rpen22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,702
    Answers
    0


    Ezekiel bread?
  7. Registered User
    RedwolfWV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,258
    Answers
    0


    Popcorn?? Not sure if that is low GI though.
  8. Registered User
    GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by nvr2loud View Post
    Pasta is a starchy carb. Don't know why you would want a starchy carb unless you are bulking, but yeah.
    It can be cooked before hand and eaten cold if she wants.
    White/red potatoes are also a starchy carb.
    According to the diet info, the carb snacks are to keep energy levels up.
    I guess the theory is, if she doesnt feel energetic she wont exercise, and as long as she doesnt overdo it with the carbs she will burn off all the excess calories, plus stored fat if she exercises properly.
    I have to agree diet without exercise is pointless.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,604
    Answers
    0


    French fries deep fried in coconut oil!!...mmmm, maybe with some salt to balance the electrolytes or some mayo to further lower the burn index

    The fat from the oil keeps the Glycemic index down

    What kind of "diet" requires an insulin spike in the middle of the day?

    I know that 25 carb grams would knock me out for the afternoon!!!

    good luck!!!
  10. Registered User
    julius kelp's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    765
    Answers
    0


    a good quality hunk of whole grain bread is an easy portable carb if she'll eat it.
  11. Registered User
    GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino View Post

    What kind of "diet" requires an insulin spike in the middle of the day?

    I know that 25 carb grams would knock me out for the afternoon!!!

    good luck!!!
    I agree. But, I had her on a standard cutting cycle diet and tripled her exercise for 6 weeks and nothing changed not weight or BF%.
    Maybe its different for girls.

    As for bread... is whole grain bread a starchy carb? I'm no dietician but I thought bread is in the medium GI range.
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    rpen22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,702
    Answers
    0


    Are you looking for a low GI source?
  13. Registered User
    rysigpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    933
    Answers
    0


    Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread is quite good toasted. Dap a little pb on that and she is good to go. This bread also works great dipping it in egg whites then making french toast with with some s.f. syrup and splenda and added cinnamon..YUM
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    rpen22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,702
    Answers
    0


  15. Running with the Big Boys
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,604
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by rysigpi View Post
    Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread is quite good toasted. Dap a little pb on that and she is good to go. This bread also works great dipping it in egg whites then making french toast with with some s.f. syrup and splenda and added cinnamon..YUM
    Ahh. French toast - "the perfect meal!!!"..I am a litle leary of splenda or at least its metabolites, but maple syrup,...mmm!!!
  16. Running with the Big Boys
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,604
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
    I agree. But, I had her on a standard cutting cycle diet and tripled her exercise for 6 weeks and nothing changed not weight or BF%.
    Maybe its different for girls.

    As for bread... is whole grain bread a starchy carb? I'm no dietician but I thought bread is in the medium GI range.
    The whole grain burns slower because your body has to breakdown the outer husk of the kernels, this also adds a fiber factor because most of the husk is indigestible.

    Everything is different for girls, mostly the hormone balance which effects emotion which affects training, which changes as they age,...patience is the key for loved ones!
  17. Registered User
    rysigpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    933
    Answers
    0


    Dont get too caught up in GI, while yes it is good to avoid terrible high gi foods, just remember when you add veggies or a healthy fat course that the overall GI of the meal will decrease so even medium GI foods like brown rice and sweet potatoes are great when u add in green beans or nuts or something.

    That ezekiel bread is a GI of like 43 I believe....will have to go look at the package...but with a little pb it would be even lower.
  18. Board Supporter
    scott72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    807
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
    I have to agree diet without exercise is pointless.
    I disagree. My wife doesn't exercise at all, eats decent and has shed a few pounds in the last few weeks. She runs around at work a lot too. Remember its all about cals in and cals out. If you cut your cals enough, you'll still create a deficit if your exercising or not. Of course I recommend exercise of some sort, but if she doesn't exercise that certainly doesn't mean she should just toss her diet to the dogs and forget about it.
  19. Registered User
    DriverDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    193
    Answers
    0


    Dieting without exercise is a sure way to lose muscle along with the fat. Not a great method of weight loss.
  20. Registered User
    GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Answers
    0


    I hope you and your wife are fortunate and this doesnt apply, but skinny is not the same as fit and doesnt hold as much appeal for me.
  21. Board Supporter
    scott72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    807
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
    I hope you and your wife are fortunate and this doesnt apply, but skinny is not the same as fit and doesnt hold as much appeal for me.
    Thats fine, but I'm also not attracted to chicks with bulging muscles. In my opinion women dont have to pump iron to look in excellent shape. Even incline walking can do the job if your career job is somewhat physical and your diet is in check. I have no problems with the way she looks and she's not just skin and bones.

    Now me, I have to constantly exercise and diet correctly as I'm a true endo. She's lucky in the fact that she can cheat a lot more than I can and still look good.
  22. Board Supporter
    scott72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    807
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by DriverDan View Post
    Dieting without exercise is a sure way to lose muscle along with the fat. Not a great method of weight loss.
    Well thats your opinion as not everyone prefers the slow re-comp method. Most of us on here lose a little LBM when we diet down unless your on gear.
  23. Board Supporter
    karategirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    301
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
    Personally I dont agree with all the carbs of this plan but my diet didnt work for her, girls must be more different than I thought.


    Hahaha

    Ok, girls are different in that we have larger breasts and different anatomy, but honestly, we do process food the same way!!!

    I bulk and cut on the same diet as all the guys and it works just the same.

    Two important factors:

    1 - To cut, calories in must be less than calories out, but not too much otherwise the body will kick into starvation mode. The easiest way to do this is cut some daily calories and add more activity.

    2 - To mainain insulin stability, complex carbs, and lean protein should make up a lot of the diet.

    Throw her on a 40/40/20 diet with lots of nice green veggies, lean protein and nuts for her fat. Keep to complex carbs (wholewheat pasta/bread, oatmeal, sweet potato).

    If she wants to contact me or post her diet, I can always make suggestions - I will need to know height, weight and activity level.
  24. Registered User
    GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by karategirl View Post
    Hahaha

    Ok, girls are different in that we have larger breasts and different anatomy, but honestly, we do process food the same way!!!

    I bulk and cut on the same diet as all the guys and it works just the same.

    Two important factors:

    1 - To cut, calories in must be less than calories out, but not too much otherwise the body will kick into starvation mode. The easiest way to do this is cut some daily calories and add more activity.

    2 - To mainain insulin stability, complex carbs, and lean protein should make up a lot of the diet.

    Throw her on a 40/40/20 diet with lots of nice green veggies, lean protein and nuts for her fat. Keep to complex carbs (wholewheat pasta/bread, oatmeal, sweet potato).

    If she wants to contact me or post her diet, I can always make suggestions - I will need to know height, weight and activity level.
    Thanks for the offer, I've recommended this site and the nutririon site BOBO helped start, hopefully she'll find the time to use them.
    I havent had time to analyze her diet yet but it looks like a 40/40/20. She bought "the Body Sculpting Bible for Women" and is following the program it layed out. If nothing else, it helped her to knuckle down get serious about her diet and exercise. Poor girl... its been a difficult adapting to a life without comfort food.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Easy High Protein/Low Carb snacks
    By dodo408 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-13-2013, 07:45 PM
  2. Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds (low carb snack)
    By natiels in forum Recipes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 02:48 PM
  3. N E 1 recommend a Carb Blocker
    By Marcus ATW in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 01:34 PM
  4. shredded chicken snack - low carb
    By natiels in forum Recipes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 12:27 PM
  5. high protein, low carb snacks
    By psywzrd in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in