complex carbs help..

msenny

Awards
i hate to feel like i'm an idiot, but i've searched and searched and all i'm looking for is maybe a list of complex carbs.. i guess i found out that brown rice is, but how much... thanks in advance.. while im at it what are simple carbs.. and whats the best time to take either.. i here after workouts take simple carbs so they break down easier.. and feed muscles faster.. now i also here to take complex carbs b4 workouts.. so they will last.. i'm not a big fan of oatmeal though so i need other advice.. thanks everyone.. i'm kinda new to this diet thing.. i always just ate whatever whenever but the more i keep doing it the better results i have so i'm trying to perfect it..

\_JIMBO_/

\_JIMBO_/

Awards
Brown rice, yams (sweet potatoes), Whole wheat anything... (pasta, bread, tortillas, Flat-Out's, bagel, pita's), beans, green veggies

As far as oats.. Eat the raw oats but add things like cinamon, splenda, vanilla extract, all spice, fat free butter spray... you have to make the food taste good.

Look at the serving sizes of the things you buy. I'd say stick to all complex carbs all the time.

Stay away from simple.. White stuff, anything with a lot of sugar.

They call things complex and simple based on their GI value (Glycaemic Index). Search "GI Scale" on google. You want to Eat Low GI foods.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
i hate to feel like i'm an idiot, but i've searched and searched and all i'm looking for is maybe a list of complex carbs.. i guess i found out that brown rice is, but how much... thanks in advance.. while im at it what are simple carbs.. and whats the best time to take either.. i here after workouts take simple carbs so they break down easier.. and feed muscles faster.. now i also here to take complex carbs b4 workouts.. so they will last.. i'm not a big fan of oatmeal though so i need other advice.. thanks everyone.. i'm kinda new to this diet thing.. i always just ate whatever whenever but the more i keep doing it the better results i have so i'm trying to perfect it..
Hey newbie :D

Hah, couldn't help it, I mean it with love. Complex carbs are simply long chains of monomers (most commonly glucose). The 3 umbrella sources of complex carbs are:

refined grains (oats, rice, barley, wheat, all flour-based products such as bread, pasta, etc),

starchy vegetables (peas, beans, corn, potato, yam, etc)

semi-starchy vegetables (squash, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, jicama, brussels sprouts, etc), which have about half the calorie density as the aforementioned categories.

Simple carbs are available in naturally occurring forms (honey, sugar cane, milk, fruit, & a small amount in carrots & beets), as well as extrinsic/added forms (sucrose, also known as table sugar, dextrose, syrup, etc).

Added sugar should be kept to a minimum, I personally don't like to see a diet exceed 10% of total kcals coming from that. As far as the rest of the carb types, achieve a variety of the stuff you like. Strike a balance between the grain products & the starchy veggies, & you'll be a stud. If you're unaware of the nutritive/caloric value, go to fitday.com or nutritiondata.com.

Finally don't worry about the details of timing simple carbs here, complex carbs there, it will have minimal impact compared to getting enough in total, which will take some trial & error on your part. you can focus on the fancy stuff once you get a good grip of the basics. Funny thing is, the more advanced you get, the more appreciative of the basics you become. Here's more reading:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/54814-new-working-out.html

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
They call things complex and simple based on their GI value (Glycaemic Index). Search "GI Scale" on google.
Nope. It is based on their molecular structure.

Simple carbs are basically those made up of one or two molecules (mono-saccharides or di-saccharides) such as fructose (sugar found in fruit) and lactose (milk).

Complex carbs, like Alan described, are basically long chains of simpler carbs.

The GI value of a carb has little to do with how 'complex' it is. Fructose is a simple carb yet has one of the lowest overall GI scores. Glucose is also simple yet is one of the highest. Maltodextrin and short grain sushi rice are complex carbs yet both are high GI.

\_JIMBO_/

\_JIMBO_/

Awards
Opps, my bad, I'm such a moron... Just trying to get him started using the idea that simple carbs (dextrose) usually have a higher GI. Things like Oatmeal (complex) having a lower GI. The whole GI thing is messed up anyway. I'd have to say food that provides satiety is the best choice, imo...

Actually I think people focus to much attention on the carbohydrates in their diets. It is better to focus on the overall macro and micro nutrients being consumed. You want to lose Fat? Get a good weight routine. Eat a diet at your BMI or a slight deficit with a good Ratio of Fat, carbs, and protein.. do it everyday... and you will lose Fat.

Fianl thought... the whole idea of a lot of searching and finding nothing is strange... Type "Complex carbs" in google and you will find more than you want to know... It's that whole reading through it all thing that gets boring ;)

doodle

doodle

Awards
Opps, my bad, I'm such a moron... Just trying to get him started using the idea that simple carbs (dextrose) usually have a higher GI. Things like Oatmeal (complex) having a lower GI. The whole GI thing is messed up anyway. I'd have to say food that provides satiety is the best choice, imo...

Actually I think people focus to much attention on the carbohydrates in their diets. It is better to focus on the overall macro and micro nutrients being consumed. You want to lose Fat? Get a good weight routine. Eat a diet at your BMI or a slight deficit with a good Ratio of Fat, carbs, and protein.. do it everyday... and you will lose Fat.

Fianl thought... the whole idea of a lot of searching and finding nothing is strange... Type "Complex carbs" in google and you will find more than you want to know... It's that whole reading through it all thing that gets boring ;)
i agree, everyone tries to over complicate things these days with all the calculations and what not.

msenny

Awards
well.. thanks everyone for your advice and imput.. i'm think i'm starting to get the idea now.. i really do appreciate it.. and i wasn't tyin to complicate things, i'm just tryin to learn more so i am doing the right stuff.. someone once told me u can lift all u want but if u dont eat right then its all a waste anyways.. so i've been eatin right to what i thought was the right thing, untill i heard about the different types of carbs, and proteins etc.. casien at night, whey right after a workout..but anyways, thanks for the advice everyone.

doodle

doodle

Awards
well.. thanks everyone for your advice and imput.. i'm think i'm starting to get the idea now.. i really do appreciate it.. and i wasn't tyin to complicate things, i'm just tryin to learn more so i am doing the right stuff.. someone once told me u can lift all u want but if u dont eat right then its all a waste anyways.. so i've been eatin right to what i thought was the right thing, untill i heard about the different types of carbs, and proteins etc.. casien at night, whey right after a workout..but anyways, thanks for the advice everyone.
just lift hard, eat clean. dont worry about casein and others right now, unless you can afford it. i dont bother with it . i just take whey isolate in the morning and post workout and that works for me. also another thing i do is throw some plain oatmeal in my morning shake. but thats as complicated as i get. good luck bro

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards
I agree with you doodle.....i keep it real simple....6 meals....eat as much as i can of good stuff (complex carbs/High protein), couple shakes througout the day...I dont like to make things complicated....Train Hard, Eat Big.