preworkout......ever have this happen? - AnabolicMinds.com

preworkout......ever have this happen?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

preworkout......ever have this happen?

double-post (from the exercise forum)

anyway....

Yesterday, i was extremely busy and ended up staying at work till 9pm. I didnt have time to go home and eat a preworkout meal/shake, so i just went straight to the gym and worked out.

I had an extremely great workout.....didnt get tired....had great pumps, etc.

My question. I know pre-workout is important, but how important? Obviously you must get your postworkout drink in, but honestly, im not so sure that i really need a big preworkout drink, maybe somethign small...maybe nothing at all....

just shooting out an idea.

anyone else feel this way....??

PREWORKOUT

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

I work out in the mornings, and I almost never eat before I go.
  3. New Member

I have like 1 serving of whey w/ my supplements post workout and after I have another shake w/ l-glutamine, the rest of my supplements and some chic breast and broccoli
    •   

4. New Member

I never have anything at least 3 hours before my workout and that doesn't bother me at all. I think that my stomach is thanking me for this.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by millenium girl View Post
    I never have anything at least 3 hours before my workout and that doesn't bother me at all. I think that my stomach is thanking me for this.
    i agree with you totally. Honestly, how much catabolism can occur if one eats great throughout the day, with enough energy and strength to have a good workout, and as long as he/she finishes up with a nice postworkout meal.......i just cant see how DETRIMENTAL not eating a preworkout meal "90 min before working out" can be THAT bad.

just my opinion.
  6. New Member

I think a lot of it has to do with what you've eaten throughout the day leading up to the workout, so in some cases, eating right before is not nearly as important as the postworkout meal. I usually focus more on what I eat after my workout, and during the day beforehand, not necessarily the hour or so before i train
  7. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by livebono View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with what you've eaten throughout the day leading up to the workout, so in some cases, eating right before is not nearly as important as the postworkout meal. I usually focus more on what I eat after my workout, and during the day beforehand, not necessarily the hour or so before i train
    I agree that if your eating well thru the day, then a preworkout meal isn't that vital, but I disagree with waking up in the morning and goin straight to the gym without eating anything. You've been fasting all night and going straight to the gym without supplying your body with some energy is asking for catabolism. I'm more than ready to eat as soon as I get out of bed. I couldn't imagine going to the gym on an empty stomach and lifting. You might get away with some low intensity cardio for fat loss, but anything else is risking your lean mass.
  8. New Member

I dont like to eat too close to a workout. Ill usually have a whey shake with about 35 grams protein 2 1/2 hrs before lifting.

Hitting the 1-1 1/2 grams/day is more important.
  9. E-BOLLER

I have done it both ways and personally I prefer my immediate preworkout meal to be 1.5 - 2 hours prior.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Supa Freek 420 View Post
    I have done it both ways and personally I prefer my immediate preworkout meal to be 1.5 - 2 hours prior.
    For instance with me....i coach high school track/football. So, when i leave the field, i would like to eat something as soon as i get in my car, and then head straight to the gym.

What would be something very simple for me to consume so that my stomach isnt full and all my blood trying to digest a big preworkout meal.

I am thinking something along the lines of a...

1. small, homemade MRP bar.
    2. piece of fruit (banana, apple, berries, etc)
    3. 1scoop whey & 1/4C oats...
    4. suggestion?

basically, just want to finish work, eat, and head to the gym. All in 30-45 minutes till working out.

im babbling, sorry

11. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    For instance with me....i coach high school track/football. So, when i leave the field, i would like to eat something as soon as i get in my car, and then head straight to the gym.

What would be something very simple for me to consume so that my stomach isnt full and all my blood trying to digest a big preworkout meal.

I am thinking something along the lines of a...

1. small, homemade MRP bar.
    2. piece of fruit (banana, apple, berries, etc)
    3. 1scoop whey & 1/4C oats...
    4. suggestion?

basically, just want to finish work, eat, and head to the gym. All in 30-45 minutes till working out.

im babbling, sorry

a scoop of whey and oats would be ideal. but you may find that not to conveinant, in that case i would opt for a protein bar. hope this helps bro
  12. Lift Heavy
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.

I can workout on an empty stomach. But if I really want my workout to be killer, and put up that extra 10 lbs on everything I do 40g whey/1hr pre....and 1 heaping scoop of SMASH 15 min/pre (tastes soo good). Then I am JACKED for my workout. For post I consume 50g (2 slices whole wheat) and another 40g protein shake. With my l-glut pills. This regimen has helped me get bigger than I ever was before.:bruce1:
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    For post I consume 50g (2 slices whole wheat) and another 40g protein shake. With my l-glut pills.
    thanks man. So, basically, you eat 2 pieces of whole wheat bread and drink a 40g whey drink right after u workout. Just curious, would u feel like eating a shake with 3/4C oats and 40g whey liquid shake would be better (faster absorption)...I like your postworkout, just curious as to your thoughts on postworkout nutrition.

thanks

14. E-BOLLER

I prefer not to ingest anything less than 45 min pre-wo. If I do it will be honey/bcaa or honey/whey at about 30g/20g CHO to protein/aa ratio.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

I workout too early in the morning to get anything substantial in my system (as in usable during my workout) without getting GI discomfort. So, other than my pre-workout CEE, AAKG, and Scorch, I use Xtend (4 scoops on lifting days, 2 scoops on cardio days). I drink about 1/2 up until my workout, then the other half is gone by about 1/2 way through my workout.
  16. New Member

i have 1-2 bananas and a protein shake about an hour before i workout. It works great for me. Its easy on my stomach and i dont feel "stomach heavy" during my workout.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

Am I the only 1 that will eat anywhere from 30 to 15 mins before working out? Not a large meal or anything just a sandwich or something, plus I do 15-20mins cardio right before the heavy lifting! I have never felt anything adverse from eating right before lifting.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpYouUp View Post
    Am I the only 1 that will eat anywhere from 30 to 15 mins before working out? Not a large meal or anything just a sandwich or something, plus I do 15-20mins cardio right before the heavy lifting! I have never felt anything adverse from eating right before lifting.
    If i did this, i my stomach would be feeling bloated, and probably would end up with a half a sandwich on the floor.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

Im with mscurt with that if youve still got food in your stomach, whether you feel full or not, valuable blood in in yout powerful stomach muscles and NOT in your workout muscles. id say depending on the person 1-2.5 hours out pre workout, if you dont eat for 3 hours workout for 1 then drive home and cook your 5 hours between meals so that why id suggest max 2.5 hours but most of us plan ahead and either have leftovers on hand or shake powders ready to go.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

The only thing that really makes me feel bloated is drinking a lot of water while using creatine. I do for the most part eat try to eat at least an hour before working out but sometimes its just not in the cards.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.

I workout every morning around 6am And all I have before hand is a preworkout NO booster drink like No Explode or Shock or Smash. But after I workout I have a Shake and breakfast. If I ate first i think I would Puke.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big BAMA View Post
    I workout every morning around 6am And all I have before hand is a preworkout NO booster drink like No Explode or Shock or Smash. But after I workout I have a Shake and breakfast. If I ate first i think I would Puke.
    my point exactly. Big Bama, if you are working first thing in the morning, it wouldnt hurt to knock down a scoop of whey maybe before showering or putting your workout clothes on. You havent eaten for roughly 8 hrs, and u probably wanna stop catabolism of your muscle by introducing some AA, etc in your body right now. Although i think catabolism of muscles is a little overrated, i think definitely i would have a scoop of whey before working out.

just my opinion.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  251 lbs.

if i dont take my pre wrkout supp. i get that yawn halfway into my workout... after that three seconds of oxegen enters my lungs every weight seems a little heavyer.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamOfWeight View Post
    if i dont take my pre wrkout supp. i get that yawn halfway into my workout... after that three seconds of oxegen enters my lungs every weight seems a little heavyer.
    Yeah... WTF is up with the 'yawn'. I've been damn close to my 1-RM on some lifts and have yawned within minutes of doing the lifts.

I hate it when I just can't 'wake up'... feel flat, tired, unmotivated. Could be overtraining... could be a million things.

Of course, caffeine + yohimbine-HCL has nipped that in the butt for now.
  25. Professional Member

anyway....

Yesterday, i was extremely busy and ended up staying at work till 9pm. I didnt have time to go home and eat a preworkout meal/shake, so i just went straight to the gym and worked out.

My question. I know pre-workout is important, but how important? Obviously you must get your postworkout drink in, but honestly, im not so sure that i really need a big preworkout drink, maybe somethign small...maybe nothing at all....

PREWORKOUT

If you eat pre-workout carbs you probably go into a carb-coma that so many describe. Being on the AD diet, I have way more energy filled workouts with no carbs. Actually no food 2 hours before a WO also.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    If you eat pre-workout carbs you probably go into a carb-coma that so many describe. Being on the AD diet, I have way more energy filled workouts with no carbs. Actually no food 2 hours before a WO also.
    wow, this thread lives. Anyway, I agree with the majority here. I just cant eat a few hours before a workout and i have no problems with lifting and energy. Now, i do get that stupid ass big yawn that comes out of nowhere.....like i could literally lay in the floor and be asleep in t-minus 2 minutes.....but it eventually goes away after my first set of front squats...haha.....

Here is my latest PRE-WORKOUT concoction i have been using....

6 caps INTRAXCELL
    MAN clout
    ECA (25mg , 200mg , 81mg)
    GMS (bulk - 2tbls)

then INTRABOLIC during my workout.....

I like it thus far.
  27. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.

If you're not feeling hungry pre-workout, then it really isn't a big deal at all. Carbs are optional (depending on whether you want to lose weight) but fats and at least a little protein are really helpful IMO.

Pre-workout doesn't matter nearly as much as Post-workout, when you absolutely need carbs and protein with as little fat as possible.

Oh, but if you have supplements pre-workout, it really helps tremendously with absorption to have a little food with it.
  28. MST Reppin Hard!
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Having an apple pre-w/o is an awesome option. The carb content gives you good energy and it's light enough that you won't feel full or bloated while lifting.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative/Sponsored Athlete
    www.millenniumsport.net
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CTDeuce View Post
    Having an apple pre-w/o is an awesome option. The carb content gives you good energy and it's light enough that you won't feel full or bloated while lifting.
    yep...exactly....i sometimes eat either an apple or pear. Something really simple, light, with some carbs.
  30. MST Reppin Hard!
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

yep...exactly....i sometimes eat either an apple or pear. Something really simple, light, with some carbs.
    Good call Brotha Man!
    www.millenniumsport.net
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.

i take AP with a big meal about 30-45 mins before i lift. i never have any problems with cramps or stomach problems. ive also seen the best results so far with this method. ive also done this without AP without any problems. just that AP helps with a little bit better pump during. but i think with anything else in this sport/activity/obsession/lifestyle, everyone has to find what works best for them.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Personally, I coordinate my workout around my meals. I don't just rush to have a pre-workout whatever then zip to the gym. I eat wholesome, solid meals every three hours after I wake up and then work out sometime in between. I really just pick one of my meals and consider that my pre-woirkout, then 45 min later go to the gym and follow up with a light drink of some O.J mixed with vanilla whey.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

i sometimes go to do cardio at about 5 a.m. and i never eat before, only thing i will take is some ragnarok to get me goin. What i have started doing is eating a small bowl of oatmeal (half a serving maybe) an hour or so before i go and work out, has been doing me very nicely.
  34. MST Reppin Hard!
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    i sometimes go to do cardio at about 5 a.m. and i never eat before, only thing i will take is some ragnarok to get me goin. What i have started doing is eating a small bowl of oatmeal (half a serving maybe) an hour or so before i go and work out, has been doing me very nicely.
    Depending on your goals sometimes not eating before morning cardio is a good idea. Yes, I know this topic is widely discussed and agreed/disagreed with across the board...but that's how I feel on it.

Great choice on the Ragnarok by the way
    www.millenniumsport.net
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

I'm trying to burn off a bit of fat is that main reason I'm doing it. I personally don't believe that muscle catabolism will occur in one morning where i don't eat before I work out as long as i have body fat and eat throughout the rest of the day.
  36. MST Reppin Hard!
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

I'm trying to burn off a bit of fat is that main reason I'm doing it. I personally don't believe that muscle catabolism will occur in one morning where i don't eat before I work out as long as i have body fat and eat throughout the rest of the day.
    for burning fat I think it's a good idea. You should take some bcaa to protect your muscle and then do your thing!
    www.millenniumsport.net
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.

anyway....

PREWORKOUT
    Yah happened to me too, and i too myself wondered about it. I was taking a pre-workout(nanovapor or NPmass) everyday before workout .. and now i only take once or twice a week and work out 4-5days a week .. and get the same amount of energy & pumps through the workout... so yah dont really need it taht much anymore ..but its always good to get some in your system, even if its once a week.
  38. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.

Muscle catabolism will happen, but most likely to a very unnoticeable degree. What will happen, if this is consistent, is your metabolism will slow down and make it harder to lose the weight than if your body had a little something to work on digesting instead of remaining in a fasted state throughout exercise. You really won't notice much of an insulin response (if any) if you don't go above 20g of carbs for your pre-workout meal.

However, if you do insist upon eating no pre-workout meal, then at least have some peanut butter or some kind of fat to keep your body slowly digesting so as not to enter into any starving state which will have a rough impact on your metabolism for the rest of the day.

The general rule is to eat lots in the morning and lunch (when metabolism is highest), but taper off to very little for dinner when trying to lose fat.
  39. MST Reppin Hard!
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by goslamacamel View Post
    Muscle catabolism will happen, but most likely to a very unnoticeable degree. What will happen, if this is consistent, is your metabolism will slow down and make it harder to lose the weight than if your body had a little something to work on digesting instead of remaining in a fasted state throughout exercise. You really won't notice much of an insulin response (if any) if you don't go above 20g of carbs for your pre-workout meal.

However, if you do insist upon eating no pre-workout meal, then at least have some peanut butter or some kind of fat to keep your body slowly digesting so as not to enter into any starving state which will have a rough impact on your metabolism for the rest of the day.

The general rule is to eat lots in the morning and lunch (when metabolism is highest), but taper off to very little for dinner when trying to lose fat.
    I disagree. As to promote healthy eating habits for the rest of your life as opposed to battling with different fads and styles and times of eating and etc....I would say to eat whole meals at all times of the day. The products you're putting into your body matter far more than the times and amount of consumption.

Before you do AM cardio have a cup of coffee or green tea and while you're doing it, sip on something like Xtend or Purple Wraath. The weight will come off, it won't affect you're muscle, and you'll be very healthy as to always eat whole foods and real meals.
    www.millenniumsport.net
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anyone ever have this happen?
    By BigShadow in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM
  2. PREWORKOUT....ever have this happen?
    By msucurt in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 11:17 AM