Protein How Much???

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
its up to debate but i think most people will agree on 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Some individuals will go as high as 2 but for the majority and the most popular it would be 1.5 grams.

Also if you go on the search button there will be tons of threads on the subject so if you have any further questions you could find a ton of it on there :D

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
How much protein shoud I be consuming daily??
In my own humble opinion it is more important to make sure you get a smaller quantity of protein several times throughout the day rather than in a few larger meals...this to me is more important then absolute amount of protein consumed.

If you can spread the protein intake through 5 or 6 meals per day you could get by with as little as .5 gram of protein per lb. of lean mass (unless your metabolism and activity level is very high).

In my humble opinion for the majority of people not on anabolics 1 gram of protein per lb of total bodyweight should be sufficent to grow. More protein will not necessarily make a difference.

The majority of people on anabolics swear by 1.5, 2+ grams of protein per lb of bodyweight.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
How much protein you need depends on a lot of things, but the 2 biggest factors are caloric balance and level of carb intake. The harder you're dieting and/or restricting carbs, the more protein you need in order to prevent muscle protein breakdown. 1g protein per pound of target bodyweight is a good middle-of-the-road benchmark to work from. Rarely is more than 1.5g ever needed, unless you're chronically undercarbed.

An even better starting point, if you have a record of it, is historical protein intake. If you're aware of how much protein has been affecting your LBM status under your given exercise conditions, then it's a simple matter of adjusting up or down from that point depending on your goal. Be aware that most BBers (recreational & competitive) easily take in more protein than they need.