Getting the Nutrition with a busy schedule

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
I have a fairly good idea(read: barely any idea at all)how to supplant my exercise with nutrition, but it is amazingly complicated, and to be honest it looks like I'd need to set aside hours just making things to eat. And majority of the time when I'm not here I'm either sleeping or on the road.

And especially since there isn't a wide variety of foods one can eat, it's all the more hard to choose meals.

Any suggestions? (aside from the obvious "kill yourself") :hammer:

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Well your results are only be as good as your diet. So with that in consideration, you can't expect fantastic results unless you can somehow make it work.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well your results are only be as good as your diet. So with that in consideration, you can't expect fantastic results unless you can somehow make it work.
Ditto. If you're willing to make time to get your butt into the gym then you should be willing to do the same for nutrition. Without both bases covered don't expect results.

As for suggestions, try to concentrate on whole foods that require minimal preparation and implement mass production if you can. Fruits and nuts are great for when on the go. Decent protein, however, is not so easy as most good sources require refrigeration. Some options are getting an insulated lunch bag, making a shake ahead of time and carrying in a thermos (I find after awhile they get soupy), carry protein powder in a shaker cup and add water when needed, preserved meats like jerky (be careful of sodium and nitrate intake).

You can make it work and it doesn't take that much more time but it does require planning in advance.

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
Ditto. If you're willing to make time to get your butt into the gym then you should be willing to do the same for nutrition. Without both bases covered don't expect results.

As for suggestions, try to concentrate on whole foods that require minimal preparation and implement mass production if you can. Fruits and nuts are great for when on the go. Decent protein, however, is not so easy as most good sources require refrigeration. Some options are getting an insulated lunch bag, making a shake ahead of time and carrying in a thermos (I find after awhile they get soupy), carry protein powder in a shaker cup and add water when needed, preserved meats like jerky (be careful of sodium and nitrate intake).

You can make it work and it doesn't take that much more time but it does require planning in advance.
Getting the lean meat meals and such, though, will be difficult, mostly due to preparation and so forth. I really don't have a good excuse not to do it, though.

I got a question. Would cut chicken breast on white bread impede me terribly? Because I sometimes use that as a holdover from Quiznos'.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
thats the way it is man. i getup at 4:30am and start eating..go to the gym...work etc....I get 4 meals in from 4:30 to 2pm. Get back home eat again at 5:30 or so....then I start preparing my meals for the next day...all the while cleaning a house and dealing with 2 small boys. Then I prepare my wardrobe for the next day (b/c I shower n stuff at the gym), eat my last meal and I'm in bed by 9:30 10 ish....every......single.......day.....If you wanto do it right and you dan't mom or a significant other who will do it for you, its alot of work

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I got a question. Would cut chicken breast on white bread impede me terribly? Because I sometimes use that as a holdover from Quiznos'.
If it gets you needed calories then ultimately it should help not impede results. Sometimes it can be tough get enough clean calories when bulking (especially at your age when you're prob still growing.) so don't be afraid to dirty it up a bit. Just don't go over board...

sullyx44

sullyx44

Awards
Tupperware my friend. I use it and its great. I cook all my meals once maybe twice a week and just store them in my fridge inside tupperware already measured out and prepared. Then I just grab them at the appropriate time and go.

You kinda have to make a decision as to you dedication. If you want to make great gains you gotta sacrafice a lot to get your food AND sleep. I have recently come to realize this and I have decided working out and getting the body I want is worth the sacrafice of a few things!

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
at 16 how "hectic" can life be...

sullyx44

sullyx44

Awards
16 dam... I didn't even see that.....Atleast you've started young!

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
Tupperware my friend. I use it and its great. I cook all my meals once maybe twice a week and just store them in my fridge inside tupperware already measured out and prepared. Then I just grab them at the appropriate time and go.

You kinda have to make a decision as to you dedication. If you want to make great gains you gotta sacrafice a lot to get your food AND sleep. I have recently come to realize this and I have decided working out and getting the body I want is worth the sacrafice of a few things!
Haha, oh wow. I was thinking I would have to do that eventually. I'm used to cooking big enough for a week, but damn. I'm going to have to look for more recipes or I'll be getting tired of the same crap very soon. All right, this is another viable solution. Thanks for your input.

at 16 how "hectic" can life be...
:think: In this fast paced internet world, it affects everyone.

16 dam... I didn't even see that.....Atleast you've started young!
But of course. Demigods must be trained by heroes after all, and you guys are as close to the Olympian heroes of Greek legend as I'll ever get.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leftovers and brown bags are the key to success.

When you've got time, instead of preparing 1 chicken breast in the over, prepare an entire bag of them, and put the leftovers in the fridge.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
If getting good nutrition is really really tough, the VPX ZeroImpact bar comes with high recommendations. It is probably the very best bar on the market. Ingredients and nutritonal profile are superb. Taste is very light, clean, and natural.

Well worth the money IMO.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
VPX's Zero Impact is an awesome recommendation from Aeternitatis. Only thing is that I need 16 oz of H2O with it because it's a little dry.

Another cheap and convenient tool is home made MRP's. I toss .5-1 cup of oats with 2 scoops of protein powder and 2 cups of water. Blend them, put 'em in a shaker cup, carry them w/you and drink them according to your meal schedule :food:

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
i'm finished with cooking my weekly meals on sunday. I can't stand old food anymore. i wont eat it after the second day and even then it tough. I'm a prissy b*tch

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
All right, this is excellent advice. So far this thread is a success and I am grateful for the excellent replies. I will implement these techniques and research some more recipes I can cook for weekly meals.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tupperware, Crock Pots, freezers, and slow Sundays are the means to getting all my foods prepared for the week. Also taking little time in the evening before bed to prepared my meals the next day aka steam some broccoli and cauliflower, make my shakes etc. Just so all I have to do in the morning is to grab a few bowels and bottles stuff them in a thremo cooler with some blue ice and bam I'm set for the day.

A good nutritional supplement like Perfomance Protein, or Poseidon would be good to supplement for a good overall nutritional securtiy measure.

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
carry along cooler bag - 15.95

tupperware containers - 16.25 on sale

lil blue ice pack(medium size) - 1.15

the feelin your body gets when your filling it with good foods while ur friends are getting fat french frie by french frie.....

priceless

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
Well put.

Are there any recipes anyone would like to share as a final hurrah before I strike off on my own?

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
cottege cheese stored in 1 cup containers. whole wheat bagels and other whole breads. A few chicken breasts. Some protein powder and a shaker....brown rice..and dont forget to scamble up some eggs....eat your veggies at nite..quick and easy

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Sure, the coolers, tuppware, baggies and all that **** work... but I personally hate having to lug a bunch of stuff around. For me, if I need good nutrition in a rush or to-go, it's all about getting the most calorie/nutritionally dense food that is also easy to carry and won't go bad. That's where something like the Zero Impact bar is perfect.

But I also enjoy rolling my own... so to speak. :D

Give me a bit and I'll dig up my old protein bar/cookie recipes. I have a good one called Bear Poop Bars. High protein, good fats, high fiber, complex carbs... and it actually tastes good.

:bruce1:

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Bear Poop Bars. High protein, good fats, high fiber, complex carbs... and it actually tastes good.
oh, me like bear poop...do share. If u do, i actually can dig up one tha u will like im sure....they are good.:good:

Popa Murph

Awards
The craft section in Wal-mart or any hobby store will have little ziplock baggies that are like 5 bucks for 100. I fill these with 2 scoops whey and a little oatmeal or unprocessed bran. I make about 15-20 a week and it only takes about 5 minutes. My desk at work is stocked full of them. It's a MRP for a fraction of the cost. Sometimes I'll go crazy and throw a hand full of chopped almonds in there!:head:

I second Zero impact though, they are some good bars with a quality ingredient profile. Zero Impact MRPs are what gave me the idea for my budget protein baggies.